1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Yildiz SPZ 12 Gauge O/U Shotguns any good

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perezal, Sep 19, 2013.

1. perezal

perezal Member

Went to the local Academy and they have some over and under shotguns for cheap. The only thing is I have not heard about that brand. Has anybody or does anybody have one? If so how good are they? Yildiz is the brand.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

To answer your question; yes, the Yildiz is good for a couple of things that come to mind. Good for $hit and good for nothing. Save your $$ and buy a used Citori or Beretta.

Drifting Smoke, MDshotgunner and Tron thanked this.
  3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Boat anchor

HM

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Great gun for snipe hunting. Scott

5. dmasencup

dmasencup Member

I have to agree with the above comments. A couple of kids at our range have them and they seem to be a lot of trouble. One kid even had a bunch of lost targets at a registered shoot because of gun malfunctions.

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It seems the thing all the cheap O/U's have in common are trigger problems. Designing a trigger that will work in the long term has proved troublesome for some of the major manufacturers and impossible for the low-end guys.

Buy a used Beretta or Browning.

Michael

7. Pen25

Pen25 Member

they are decent for what they are. these have a good standing in europe. know a couple people who have them and shoot skeet with them. not a failure on the bunch that i have seen or heard of. shotgunworld has a round count thread. go check them out.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

skeet shooters will shoot anything

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone with the exception of Mr Roach.... we will ALMOST shoot anything LOL

Wes

10. perezal

perezal Member

Thanks for the info.

11. JohnH12

JohnH12 TS Member

I read a lot but rarely post. I can't let this one pass.
    Let the elitists stand and be counted! Yildiz 3 year warranty is through Briley. I'm not sure Briley would have their name tied to a piece of crap.
    You folks probably turn your nose up at my Revelation pump with a Poly-Choke but I'm positive the thousands of dove no longer with us wish I didn't have it.
    BTW-My wife owns and shoots a Yildiz O/U. I don't think it would be wise to tell her face to face her gun is a piece of crap!
    I'm proud to welcome and shoot with anyone that comes to the range in spite of the massive anti-gun movement in this country. Please don't let the snobs send them to the other side.
    John H

12. Paradox

Paradox Member

I've put probably at least 5k rounds through mine in the last year and a half. Most of the trouble people have with them is not getting them cleaned out good after they buy them. The stuff they ship them with is horrible and in all the nooks and crannies. Once I got that stuff out mine has been solid. Shot my first 24 with it last weekend. Briley does the warranty so they are no slouch there.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for comes to mind. It costs a fair amount of money to build a good O/U and there aren't any exceptions that I know of.

If the price is a large factor in your purchase decision then look at a pump or semi-auto, Remington 870 or 1100 for example. Dollar for dollar those guns will outshoot and outlast any of the low end O/U guns that are available.

Tron thanked this.
  14. JohnH12

JohnH12 TS Member

Yildiz are made in Turkey and marketed exclusively by Academy Sports. The Turkish guns had a bad reputation and probably still do with some folks who remain closed minded and still insist that only $10K+ guns are worth buying and shooting. The computerized machining has somewhat leveled the field though. The high dollar engraving won't be there but there are some pretty ugly guns that have lasted over the years. Most who can only afford a less expensive gun probably cannot afford thousands of round a week or even a month. More power to them if it get's them involved in the shooting sports. I would rather they buy a $500 gun and shoot once a week than buy one that maxes out the budget and only shoot a few times a year. Which one will support your club more in the end???
    BTW: The only real negative that I've seen or heard is that the Yildiz are pretty light so the felt recoil is sometimes an issue. It shouldn't be a problem for the casual shooter.
    I just hope I'm present when a Yildiz shooter whoops ass on a $10K gun shooter. I'll buy the beer!
    Not too respectfully - John H

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Glad somebody posted this my buddy bought a Yildiz from a kid that worked for him and needed money, he shot pretty good with the gun, but the last time he was out here the trigger messed up, he asked me if I knew where to get it fixed, now I know

It is a pretty nice looking gun, but as stated damn it does have a kick to it, but I am spoiled because I shoot autos all the time

16. mpbrassell

mpbrassell TS Member

I love my Beretta AL-1 made in 1973 but I also own 3 yildiz o/u shotguns. My 12 gauge has 11k rounds thru it with one firing pin replacement, the 28ga has over 9k rounds thru it with zero problems. I also have a .410, it has 5k thru it in skeet. I have beat guys many times on our weekly scrap night at the club that were shooting Brownings, Berettas, SKBs etc. I made a believer out of the skeptics at our local club. Bottom line is, yes if money is tight get a Yildiz and have fun. I have been very pleased with mine.

17. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

When will you folks complaining about gun snobs shut your pie holes long enough to understand them? All of us " gun snobs " started with inexpensive guns. ALL OF US. We know all about beating other shooters with more expensive guns. We have all done it. We have also experienced failed parts on those inexpensive guns. We know it is the shooter and not the gun because WE ARE THAT SHOOTER. We also shoot several thousand rounds a month. We.shoot/shot every weekend in registered tournaments where a gun failure cost us wins. So. We moved up in gun. We moved as far as our budgets would allow. We shot the hell out of our new guns until we could move up again. What the " gun snobs " are trying to tell you snot nosed brats is that the absolute best and most skilled workman is no better than his tools.

Your move.

Chris Covell, timb99 and Tron thanked this.
  18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Welcome to trapshooters.com. You are our latest brother, having just joined today. It's an informative, sometimes amusing site where you can learn the most recent ANYTHING; even how to repair your cantankerous lawn-mower. Started trapshooting in 1966, when I learned of the sport from a classmate, using a field-grade ribless Winchester 1200 with fixed modified choke (his). My very own shotgun at the time was a $59 Spanish side-by-side bought on sale from Two Guys that I used hunting grouse. Do not be reluctant to speak your mind, as we all can learn from each other. Again, welcome.

19. mpbrassell

mpbrassell TS Member

Point taken. I wasn't knocking the upper level guns, I own and love several. I was just saying to anyone out there that wanted t get started in the sport on a shoe string budget that the Yildiz is a decent gun in the low price range.

20. DuckNut

DuckNut Active Member

From personal experience it seems like 50% last and 50% are garbage.

My clays club bought 4 and I was there and shot them the day they arrived. 6 months later 2 were sent for repair and tightening and 2 kept kicking like a mule.

Now 16 months later the same two problem guns have been retired from the hassle of repairs. The other two are still beating up shoulders.

So make sure you buy the good one. :)

Search tags for this page
yildiz over and under shotgun reviews
yildiz over under

yildiz shotgun

yildiz shotgun problems

yildiz shotgun review

yildiz shotgun reviews

yildiz shotguns

yildiz shotguns for sale