1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Winchester 1400's any good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Are Winchester 1400

I'm not talking about to shoot targets with just as a hunting gun?

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They're no SX-1 but they work just fine and a few guys used them for competition too so they are not that fragile...I had one with Ted Williams name on it from Sears with a Polychoke that was made in '75..my nephew has inherited it and shoots it regularly for his dove, bunny, squirrel and crow shooting along with sporting clays and trap...kept clean, they last a long time and work fine

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

They work fine until they break, then they are hard to get parts for. Mark

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Ask Wayne Mayes about Blondie. Jeff

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

They are a great gun for hunting. And as far as parts go, the Winchester 140, the Ranger 140, and the 1400 parts, are all interchangeable. I have found 140's for around $100.00 at garage sales.

Wayne

6. jharryfrey@att.net

jharryfrey@att.net Member

WAYNE MAYS IS THE ALL TIME AVG LEADER IN SKEET. HE SHOT ONE A LARGE PART OF HIS CAREER BUT SHOOTS A HIGH DOLLAR GUN NOW

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I bought one new for $125 in the mid 70's. Still have it. Has winchoke chokes, and no rib. The full choke is very tight on mine. I've killed quite a few doves, squirrels, cock birds, and bunnies with it early on but haven't used it in years. Not a bad gun, soft recoil. Good for trap for a beginner because of the soft recoil. Picked up a smooth bore barrel with rifle sights a while back that was very accurate with slugs, but never bagged a deer with it. There are scope mounts that mount to the side too. Not real fancy, but good guns that are usually a bargain price.

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I bought one from Montgomery Wards in 1976 or 1977. Seemed like it was well built, but the one I owned was prone to jam no matter what ammo I used. I probably owned the only lemon 1400 ever made.

It didn't last the hunting season with me.

Jim C

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

10. dshot

dshot Member

No, had the same problems that Blusman had and parts started to break before the end of the first dove season.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm very much with the NO crowd on this one. Just this last pheasant season, in which we have a group of 12 guys, there was this new fella with a 1400. I predicted in detail that he was going to have problems and I was right. His 1400 was a single shot, every time.

I did own one of these guns when I was a lad and I really got taken on the deal. Nobody could make that damn thing work!

It's just an even cheaper copy of a Remington 58, but not nearly as good.

12. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

i dont no guys i hav a 20ga ws1 1400 million rounds thought it runs like new never a problem only had 2 replace mag throat recently cost me 50 bucks an bought a extra barrel with win chokes 4 10 bucks mines great turn down many offers 4 her over 400 bucks just saying

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My trap and hunting partner bought a 1400 and it was a jam-o-matic. He finally got rid of it and bought a Beretta 303 field and never looked back.

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Mine worked fine for all loads in it but I traded it in for a SxS as I was aware they are fragile, esp the bolt closer and the ejector spring thingy

regards

15. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Still have my late father's ca. 1975 1400.

My kid used it to break is first 25 at age 9, and it was his primary gun until last year, when he decided that the additional recoil of an 870 was a "good" thing!

LOL

It's had some issues from heavy use, but parts are cheap and avaialable.

16. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Cheap gun....cheap parts......save a bit more money and buy a better gun!

17. B410

B410 TS Member

Ah, the 1400--the redheaded half-brother of the venerable SX-1. I HAD two of them, one Mk. II in 20 (decent) and another in 12 (terrible). The 12 was like new and well cared for, but the magazine throat (plastic) wore out early in its life and I couldn't find a replacement after looking high and low. Finally sold it to a pawnbroker and I imagine he parted it out. Some like them, but I felt the 20 was too large and heavy for the gauge. The 12--I never got to use it for anything except as a single shot. I would stay as far away as possible, especially since this is permanently set up as a 2 + 1 scattergun with no way to make it hold more than 3 shells for pheasants or any game where plugs can be removed. I say you're better off with an 870. I have heard, but can't verify that the barrels are interchangeable with the 1300 pump.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Prolly safe to wager repeteclay has broken more 199s and 200s with his 1400 Win. than most shooters breaking a 100!! He and his 1400 machine repeatedly breaks clay targets!!

Hap

19. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

12 ga parts r plenty 20ga parts hard 2 fine ebay has the most

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

was the winchester 1400 any good

winchester 1300 and 1400 any good