1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are used fixed choke guns an unfair bargain ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Seems like used trap guns with fixed Full chokes are priced quite a bit lower than similar used guns with screw-in chokes.

Since all trap guns will ultimately have Full chokes anyway, are these used ones that have fixed Full chokes really a steal since (1) they are priced so low, (2) we save the unnecessary diversion through choke playing land and (3) we don't spend hundreds of dollars on various chokes that aren't Full chokes anyway ?

I must admit to having at least one SBT bought used with a fixed non-Full choke.

2. k3uro

k3uro Member

Yes,

Jim

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

when is the last time you walked down the trap line and seen a guy changing his choke tube??--- the best quote is leo harrison-" i dont care what choke you use, just as long as it is full"!!!---so to answer your question--chokes are over sold and yes, fixed choke guns are a good buy!!!!

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto!

Jay

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I will probably ruffle some feathers with what I am about to say but here it goes. When choke tubes first came out they were short choke tubes that did not pattern as good as fixed choke barrels especially from 27 yards. At that time I believed choke tubes were fine for skeet shooting and field shooting. Over the years choke tubes have been made longer, and I believe with added length they now throw comparable patterns as good as fixed choke barrels.

With that being said, If a shooter is the type of person who is constantly changing choke tubes with every target that is missed, I would think this type of individual might be better off with a fixed choke barrel.

I do believe that there are some buys on the used gun market for fixed choke barreled guns especially at places like Gander mountain. My opinion is that Gander mountain caters to the hunter who most require and request choke tube guns. Because of this, Gander will not offer much for fixed choke guns, and should they have one in stock for sale, you usually can get the gun at a more modest price.
    Steve Balistreri

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The firearms industry has sold shooters a pig-in-a-poke. It's cheaper to make a bbl. with tubes than a fixed choke. It's also difficult to find two choke tubes that will place your guns pattern at the same POI. Leo is right,so why should anyone want choke tubes?

Buz

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Choke tubes affect your mind more than your pattern. Full choke from 16 to 27. If you miss at least you know you did not shoot around the bird. You also know you missed it because you were not on the target. Simple as that. Save the money and the headache. Jon

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

There's nothing unfair about it. Just enjoy the benefits of your observation and personal taste. For example, I'm thrilled that my all-time favorite SBT -- the old Beretta Mark II -- happens to be a sleeper. It's a superb quality, fixed-choke, clay crushing tank that makes a BT99 feel like an H&R Topper. I laugh that it cost me a fraction of what lesser trap guns cost.

-Gary

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"I laugh that it cost me a fraction of what lesser trap guns cost."

Doesn't that make it difficult to sleep at night.

Maybe you should go back to the original seller and slip him a few more bills.

If you cannot find him, I can substitute.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"The firearms industry has sold shooters a pig-in-a-poke. It's cheaper to make a bbl. with tubes than a fixed choke. It's also difficult to find two choke tubes that will place your guns pattern at the same POI. Leo is right,so why should anyone want choke tubes? "</i>

I agree it's cheaper, but I disagree about the patterns. At least I've found no difference in POI with my Rem Chokes.

The issue with Rem Chokes, long since resolved, was not differing POI but crooked or off axis installation. Remington invested in new equipment to properly set the barrels up, supposedly a million dollars worth.

High quality fixed choke guns better have a superior choke to screw in chokes. It would be inexcusable if they didn't.

As for not needing to change chokes, I prefer a more open choke for singles and doubles than caps. Until I bought a dedicated trap barrel, I also used the same barrel for sporting clays, and often used an IC choke. For those who only shoot caps, yeah, I can see their point about only needing a full choke. Works for them. Doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

That guy you see twisting the end of his barrel every 5 or 10 shots because the choke keeps getting loose is the reason not to get choke tubes.
    Alfermann66 is right.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I deduct when I see a gun has choke tubes, just the way I am I guess ... I prefer fixed chokes and no porting, but like all of the other Bells and whistles on a gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. shelly

shelly TS Member

If you want to shoot everything with one shotgun as I do, then choke tubes are essential. Until I see some proof that good choke tubes don't pattern as well as fixed, I'm not buying that snake oil. Can't speak for all choke tubes and barrels, but the Briley thin wall chokes in my MX8 all shoot to the same POI and pattern with the percentages they are supposed to. Can't ask for anything more than that.

As far as twisting the end of the barrel goes, that's just a habit like blowing the smoke out of the barrel after shooting- it means nothing. Then again, perhaps blowing the smoke from the barrel makes the next shot pattern better- LOL. That's every bit as likely as the theory that fixed chokes pattern "better" (whatever that means).

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

GW22-Gary:
    Those Beretta Mark 11's were target breaking machines. My friend had one and I was in awe with the amount of metal in that barrel. He broke numerous 100 straights with that gun. He had a 32inch barrel. In fact, I have never even seen a 34inch barrel in that gun? One of the best buys ever for a trap gun.
    Steve Balistreri

15. shelly

shelly TS Member

Well, dah, blowing smoke wasn't what made Frank Little great and neither was fixed chokes. In Frank's day, there were no choke tubes or at least they weren't in common use. Anybody who wants to believe that Mr. Little would have been average if he had used choke tubes has the right to that theory, but no snake oil for me.

16. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to know Frank personally as I live in Binghamton and he lived in Endicott and he is the reason I started shooting trap. Frank always used factory shell in registered events and reloads when practicing. He blew down the barrels as a safety to make sure wads cleared especially in doubles, and he told me that. ed nichols

17. shelly

shelly TS Member

I stand corrected- LOL. I'm sure it works the same for all smoke blowers...

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

All of my shotguns have fixed chokes....I've never owned or shot a choke tubed gun...never had the urge to do so....just the way I roll....

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I actually like and appreciate choke tubes. I have a set of Briley Thin Wall tubes on my Ljutic and used them at various times for various reasons. One reason is I like to train using the Extra-Full (.42), and then switch over to the full (.40) or Light Full when I shoot for score. The reason I added Light Full was that it throws a better pattern at singles using Federal Paper #8 / 3 dram loads than the Full choke does with 7!/2 Federal Paper. Why -- I have no idea, it just does so with the smaller shot size...

And are fixed chokes a good deal on used guns. I think they do cater a price drop for most guns, especially if they aren't a Full choke...

So, yes, I do like the option of using chokes, but I always use Full for singles and XFull for HDCP past 23 yds...good luck

Jack

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Someday I will run across a Grand European with those nasty old fixed chokes for an absurdly low price.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what kind of gun did frank little trapshooter use