1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are trap shooters over polite and do the over enco

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just wondering,,that's all.Been shooting just over a year and a half now.Personally,I think I'm a little slow.However,always hear,,you hit them Hard,you've got the perfect trap shooter build..(i.e. Short,NO neck to speak of,and that pot belly look,,guess that's what they mean?)
    Did break first 25 last August,but,,,that's my High so far as far as accomplishments go as far as I'm concerned.

Oh,second part of post : what's the oldest a Top shooter has started shooting trap and made it to the Top and has become a Big Dog as some of you call them.

I started at 58, and by my standards that's too late for most sports.Just wondering on this question also,not too concerned,as I tell myself over and over,I do this for FUN.

Doug H.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Stick with trapshooting, you won't make it as a Professional Quarterback, baseball player, or Hockey player at this stage of the game ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

WPT...you didn't mention gigolo, does that mean there's still a chance for greatness? lol

4. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Doug H, in this sport it's never to late and who knows you could be the new Big Dog coming. just have fun and bear down on those targets and before you know it you'll have your 50 straight 75 and on. and you will definitely meet and make lots of new friends. Good Luck ---slid

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I mentioned the gigolo idea to my wife and she said "go ahead; I want to see how you live on 10 bucks a week!"

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Most top shooters I know started hunting and being around guns as youngsters.
    Steve Balistreri

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Sorry Doug, but you will not be a Top Gun. Not with one 25 in 18 months. The guys at the club are being polite.

If you answer NO to most of the following questions you are unlikely to shoot as well as you can:

Have you taken a clinic from a nationally recognized "Big Dog"?

Have you incorporated those "lessons" into your game?

Do you shoot at least 20 boxes a week?

Have you patterned your gun and do you know your POI?

Do you shoot with better shooters regularly?

Do you shoot leagues and/or ATA?

Becoming good at anything takes time and dedication. In Trap, it takes money as well. NOTHING about Trap is inexpensive except BS'ing at the club house.

Don Verna

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Have fun. If you have the talent or the drive to become better you might. Success at sports is in having fun

9. dhip

dhip Active Member

dverna

Thx for Honest,bluntness and learned answers.More or less what I figured anyway were some of your statements.

Never have taken lessons

I do incorporate any suggestions that the fella that got me into this sport offers.He's a little reluctant,says to much info can confuse a new shooter so he offers a little at a time.

Nope ,lol usually 2 boxes on thursday nights and 4 boxes on big meat shoot sundays.

Have patterned the gun,know it shotts a little high.

Toug one,when they squad up too quick,no,but I have noticed when I do squad up with the top dogs at gun club my scores are better.

Shot my first league thi past winter

Shoot ata's a little,between Bass tourneys and such I only get in a few.

Yeah I've noticed the Money part rather quickly,specially with reloading etc.

Fun is my point of interest at this time anyway.Gives me a breqak from Bass tourneys.

Hunted for years til permission araound local farms became almost impossible.However,,that's when I shot one eyed. .When the fella that got me into this sport asked me,I told him,I had heard years ago that two eyed was better and if I took up trap I was going at it with the idea I never shot a shotgun before and was going to do it two eyed.

Thanks all,however NO ones answered the second part,,What is the oldest that any big Dogs,Top guns,whatever ,that you knowof, when they started.

Doug H.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Doug,

The ONLY important question is - Are you having fun? There are very few big dogs. Having dabbled in this game for 5 years I have tremendous respect for those guys and gals who shoot at that level.

Even a "natural" will spend years honing his/her skills. Then there is the impact on your family life and the travel needed to get the points to make the All American team.

None of the guys at your club will give you poor advice on purpose; but most will not know what they do not know. If you cannot afford the time or money for lessons from a Leo Harrison, Nora Ross, Frank Hoppe, Phil Kiner etc then get Leo's DVD set. It is the best investment you can make.

Set personal goals and shoot for a coffee or a drink with the guys.

Remember, have fun. Life is short.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.