1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are trap guns worth the $$$$$

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Caesar Guerini combo $6800, Silver Seitz $14,500, Perazzi 2005 $14,500 krieghoff Special combo $17,000. Browning $3500.00, Blaser $9800.00 combo. About the same amount of steel. Interesting

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Yes if you know for sure it will fit you. I honestly belief the only high end gun is the one that is made for you. Most of these guns listed are like buying an off the shelf Armani suit. It was made before you tried it on. If the gun was made from the ground up for you its worth the money.

Phil Berkowitz

3. smsnyder

New cars and trucks are a terrible investment. Lost 30% when you take vehicle off the lot. For example bought a 1 year old liberty 8000 miles for $9500. The vehicle new is $21,000. OUCH.

4. IdahoRanchLady

IdahoRanchLady TS Member

So, I'm a rookie Trap Shooter, new this Winter actually. A field Hunter. I was given the use of a Krieghoff SK5 and it's been a struggle to find the sweet spot for hits, due to adjustments, etc. Picked up Browning #99, and doing better. My son, tried several trap specific shotguns and still almost dead on with his field Baretta, semi-auto, he uses as a single shot for League.
    This has been the most perplexing, and long learning curve of any shooting related sports we've done, due to the concepts of trap guns and high profile ribs.

So, like car analogy, think it involves experience and suitability to the user for the machine or gun they require, can utilize or understand.

Dawn

5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

"Are trap guns worth the $$$$$"

Depends on how much you like it and how much you spend.

Most trap gun are luxury items and priced accordingly.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I have a sledgehammer which contains more steel than any of those. Wanna trade?

-Gary

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Go buy a bass boat.

EE

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Per ounce, great values compared to a new Rolex watch.

9. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Last week my 15 year old Son (second year shooter) shot a 44 at the 16 yd line (averaged 37 last year), my 13 year old Son (first year shooter) shot a 35 and my oldest Son's friend (second year shooter) shot a 47 with a perfect 25. My oldest Son shoots a $400 2005 12g Stoeger Comp, my younger Son shoots a 1951 12g $300 Remington 870 TC, and my Son's friend shoots a $250 2009 12g Remington 870 Express.

Obviously it's not the gun but the shooter behind the gun that breaks the rocks.

That being said, enough $3 bottles of wine will certainly get you drunk, but a $5000 bottle will probably taste a lot better:)

The best gun is the one you break the most rocks with not the one that's the most expensive especially for a new shooter. Start out cheap and if the sport takes, upgrade to a better trap gun, not necessarily a more expensive one, however to a point the two go hand and hand.

10. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

you can take nothing with you when you leave this earth so if you have the money to buy a nice gun then do it and enjoy!!! belive me when i tell you that a 50k browning or k80 is nicer to shoot than a 250$ anything.

11. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Earl, trap guns are like fine women. I will say no more :)

If bought right on the used market and kept for properly (like fine women), they cost you nothing to own.

You answered the car question ofwhich being in your field of expertise, if you don't know you darn sure better wise up to facts_of_life!

IdahoRanchLady, this is a mind game. Everyone and his 7 cousins have the specific answers that will help you.... Simple fact is ignore them and find a good coach for you and your son. This can be hard as those that are even proficient shots and been in the game along time still are not teachers. My recommendation would be enroll your son and you in a two day class with one of the pro coaches. For the present, why did you and your son switch from field guns right into trap guns? As such, who made the recommendation of going from a field style gun (assume low profile) to something like a KX5?

GW22, I got sledge hammers with more steel in them than you.lol

Blueraven81, they make no good wine, regardless of price....

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I spent most of my money on trapguns, booze, and women. The rest I just wasted.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's all about "Toys"....we may have aged beyond childhood, but we still need our "Toys" and will pay handsomely for them.

Curt

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

What I'd like to know is why Trap guns are many times more expensive than all other firearms? You can buy full custom handguns and rifles for less than the most basic Browning combo. I mean really, $17K for a BASIC K80 combo??? For $17K I can fill my safe with custom handguns and rifles and still have money left over. I just don't get it. Yes I realize that they are nicer, better made, have nicer wood, etc but we are talking a price difference of 10x between one and the other. I would love to own a high-end combo, but their prices are simply astronomical and I just don't see how you can justify that kind price.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

vpr80....perceived value....that's why!

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Try to make your own shotgun... and see what's really involved... Making 1 part at a time.. Even with the help of CNC.. and heat treating in batches.. Then get product liability insurance.. and see what it costs..

Look at an investment cast.. or MIM part.. or a CNC made.. tool steel.. properly heat treated and finished part..

One of the all time greats.. the 870 pump.. was designed to be easily.. and cheaply manufactured.. It's excellent by design..and shoots as well as anything out there.. But that Perazzi,Krieghoff,Kolar, trigger does not come with a $600 shotgun..

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

"pride of ownership" my son offered to purchase any trap gun i wanted. in fact, he gave me a check for $10,000.00 years ago and i returned it to him. i love pump guns, especially model 12's and 870's. "are trap guns worth the money?" hell yes, something you are proud of, something you shoot well with, i would have to say, worth every penny. about the only time you ask that question is when you decide to sell the gun, and hear from the gun shop owner what he thinks your gun is worth to him.
    steve balistreri

18. smsnyder

Great answers and thanks.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

My trap gun was expensive. But considering the service it has given me and the fun I have had shooting it, it was a bargain.

vpr80- A nice double barrel trap gun is expensive, but have you priced a nice double rifle lately. I shoot well over 15,000 rounds each year through my K-80 and I have done that for over 20 years. How many rounds will a custom rifle shoot without loss of accuracy.

When I shot competition pistol I had excellent guns to shoot. My 45 required rebuilding at least once a year after around 10,000 rounds.

Pat Ireland

20. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I think I will always be able to get about $3500 for my KX-5, and $2500 for my TMX (now shot by son). I have about $6500 invested in the two combined, so for all intents and purposes, I'm shooting a $500 keeper.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ego 100 trap gun
is a trap gun worth the money

silver seitz worth the money