1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these shotguns worth ANYTHING? Pix

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I met someone at a dinner last Saturday who is trying to unload a couple of shotguns that his deceased brother-in-law left in his estate. From what I find online, they are probably not worth much more than trash, but I thought it best to ask before suggesting he break them up. Here's what I know about them,;

Remington model 10 (full choke), # 248424.

The bolt action with a clip is a Kessler Arms 16 gauge, model 228, 2 3/4 in., full choke.

Any suggestions?

Larry

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |
    http://www.grandpasarms.com |
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Depending on condition the mod. 10 may be worth something, card shooters like them. the bolt action ???????? Ross Puls

3. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

My grandson showed up with Model 10 a while back. It was locked up good and tight. I gave it a bath with WD40 and let it set for a couple of days.

After which I disassemble it and cleaned it up, hung it up on the wall and waited for the next visit from the GS.

Which happened in a couple of days because he was out of reloads and needed to do some reloading.

I handed the cleaned up and working model 10 and he didn't know what to say except "thanks" over and over again.

I told him it was a shooter and to hang on to it as it was a remembrance of him other Grandfather.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I looked at a model 10 Trap some years back at a Gun show.

It was pretty whipped, but original, and the owner had a pretty stiff price on it if I recall. 10s and 29s seem to bring a high asking price.

Regards....Gerald

5. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

That bolt action looks like a Marlin 12ga goose gun. I bought one used in 1977 for $29. It actually shot pretty well and because it weighs a ton it absorbed the recoil of those heavy #2 3" mag goose loads. I gave it to my son about 20 years ago and I don't think he's shot it but once. As to the value? Well it's worth what ever you can get someone to pay for it. Probably somewhere between $60 and $100 dollars?

6. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Nice stool!

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Marlin Goose Gun was a 10ga.

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Barry, are you sure about that?

GneJ

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Super Goose was the 10 ga.

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

At any rate he said it is a 16ga. Wouldn't be very handy on a covey of quail.

ctreay

11. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Actually the Marlin Goose Gun was a 12 gauge 3" Magnum first, and then in later years it was offered as a 10 gauge, Super Goose Gun. They look exactly the same with the 10 gauge being slightly heavier and slightly larger.

They also look pretty much like that bolt action in the picture. Not much demand for bolt action shotguns though. I'd guess the value to be similar to the 12ga. Marlin.

12. Barry C. Roach

They were used as "pit" guns in Southern, IL. At least that's where I used mine.

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

That 16 guage bolt gun might be pretty handy for our BSA shotgun trap classes and our Youth Shooting camp. If you can't find a buyer we would take it as a donation to the Youth program. Santa Clarita Valley Upland and Wildlife Federation club. Contact me if interested. I mention the donation thing because we are non-profit and because the DROS is going to cost us $70 at least and then there's the postage etc. The gun is worth maybe $75+/- so you could get a write off and the kids could get a trap gun. Lots of us shoot 16 gauge in the club.

Reece Talley

14. Barry C. Roach

My brother still uses my old 10 ga. Goose Gun to trim the deadwood from his trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.