1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these shells shooters or keepers? 16-ga

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Porcupine, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

These 16-gauge shells just came my way (it happens) and I'm not sure if they're collectible by anyone or not. Should I shoot them or are they collectible?

On the left and in the box are eleven 'Maximum load', 3-dr, 1 1/8-oz 6's. On the right three Western Xpert 2¾-dr, 1 1/8-oz 6's.

Thanks.

LA in MA

[​IMG]

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I would shoot one of each just to say I did. And keep the others on a nice put away shelf...

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The question I always ask is, are you ever going to see theses shells manufactured again, in that same form in the same box? If the answer is no, and 99.9% of them are gone, why would you shoot up something that could be sitting in someone's display case?

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Wireguy,

Your logic is sound. So if I would NOT 'shoot up something that could be sitting in someone's display case', then I could shoot shells that nobody wants to put in their display case.

OK, any collectors out there want these shells? (the empty box will be donated to the Maspenock Trap Museum in Milford, Massachusetts). Any reasonable offer, plus shipping. Otherwise, I shoot 'em up.

LA in MA

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I always think any old roll crimp shells are neat and worth saving to show kids how it was done before thermoplastic was invented. Those old shells are part of our collective shooting heritage.

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

OK, Wireguy. You've convinced me .....

I feel guilty about thinking about shooting them! (LOL!) Maybe I'll pass them out to my trap buddies.

LA in MA

7. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

If you were at my club, you could pass them on to me. Then we could both shoot them up in either one of my Mdl. 21 or Mdl 12. You would have so much fun, that you'd give me the box too. JW

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Like I said...

Shoot one of each you only have six. Then keep the others to tell stories on how you did with the two you shot. You get to shoot and you get to keep. Like getting the best of both worlds...

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They are both shooters and keepers. The 'value' is in the enjoyment and not really measured in dollars. I collect these kinds of things for reasons even I don't fully understand but they really aren't that expensive - sometimes you can even pick up a full box for less than the cost of new ammo.

If you do shoot them it is an ablsolute must that you sniff the fired hulls immediately after firing. If that doesn't send you off on a little day dream there is no hope for you as a true 'paper head'.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I still roll crimp many of my 16's. Can still purshase paper hulls also. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.