1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these new or old style AA hulls?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Dschroeder83, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Dschroeder83

Dschroeder83 Member

Was wondering if these are new or old style AA hulls...and if it mattered for reloading purposes. Have about 2500 of each color, some of the gray ones have blue lettering instead of black I can get a closeup pic later if needed

IMG_6167.JPG IMG_6168.JPG

2. Magnus

Magnus Member

For sure the top and bottom pictures, those are money! The middle pic most likely but the lighting is different and can't say definitely. The old ones load and crimp much easier. The old reds seem to last longer than silver though, silver seems to crack sooner.

3. Magnus

Magnus Member

They are old AA's.

mg1polo thanked this.
  4. Dschroeder83

Dschroeder83 Member

The reds are all the same, just has to split them into 2 containers. Was a Craigslist find along worth 1000 or so Winchester pink wads

5. Dschroeder83

Dschroeder83 Member

Read there are are differences between internal construction, wasn't sure if there was a difference in reloading between old/new

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

While the data for the old and the is the same, some find they reload differently. It depends on how dense the powder is you are using and what wad you are using. But since all those hulls are old CF hulls, you shouldn't have any issue because the data was all developed using the old style hulls. And I experience is different than that of the poster above who says the old style load and crimp easier than the new style. My experience is they both load about the same, with the new style crimping significantly easier than the old style.

7. Buzman

Buzman Active Member

I use 700x in both the HS and CF hulls....along with a Claybuster CB 1118-12 wad. They don't seem to load any different for me.

Dschroeder83 thanked this.
  8. Hinch

Hinch Active Member

The reds are the old style.The crimping on the old style works alot better than the new ones for me.That was a great find dshroeder83.Wish I could find a local craigslist find like that.

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Active Member

If you look at the bottom of the shell, facing the primer, you will see a GA or HS on the right side. The GA are the old ones, the HS are the new ones. They did make a batch of two piece hulls that were marked GA, but not many. Look down the inside of the hull and you can see the two piece cup on the HS hulls. Great find! You are a lucky man. I like reloading the old style and they last a long time. I have to adjust my reloader to load the HS hulls as they seem to be slightly shorter than the old style. Regards, Bob

10. Icemon

Icemon Active Member

It looks like the reds might be a mix of cf and hs. There's a red in bottom bin bottom right that looks like an early hs hull with smeared ink . Just take a flash light and look in some . You will see a base wad in hs hulls old cf you will not see anything.

11. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

The silver ones in the top bin are all old style. Because of the lighting, it is difficult to tell if the red ones are old or new. The quickest and easiest way to differentiate between old and new style red hulls is by looking at the finish of the plastic. Old style hulls will have a dull, matte finish. The new style hulls will have a shiny, almost oily, looking finish to them. The lighting of the pix is making some of them look shiny/oily but that could just be the from the flash. Take some out of the bin and take a close up photo of some. Also, you could take a pair of scissors and cut a slice out of one of them and see if there is a separate base wad in the bottom or not.

Icemon thanked this.
  12. rapid86

rapid86 Well-Known Member

Those are all old style AACF hulls. Some of the silver/grey ones did have blue lettering; don't know why.

13. Dschroeder83

Dschroeder83 Member

Does it matter if there is or isn't a basewad? Just getting into reloading here and learning as much as I can

14. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

With basewad=New Stye. No basewad=old style.

The reloading data provided by the powder manufacturers treat them both the same (in 12 and 20 ga.). I load both and I use different wads depending on what powders I'm using. If I'm using a bulky powder, like Promo or Clays, I use a DRA12 wad, in the new style bcause it has a bit shorter crush section. If I'm using a dense powder, like Titegroup or WSH, I'll use the wad called for in the data. Your experience might be different from mine and you might use a different reloader than I do. Others do not have any problem loading them the same. The new style gave me terrible problems until I happened on some Internet discussion of the issues.

15. Dschroeder83

Dschroeder83 Member

I'm planning on using alliant claydot, it's available locally for a good price

16. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Claydot is similar to Clays in all respects and is bulky. Assuming the hulls you have are all old style, I recommend the Duster wads made by Downrange. Wad color depends on shot charge. I had excellent results using Clays and Blue Dusters with 9/8 oz of shot in the old style AA hulls. If it turns out some of the hulls are new style, I would sort them and use a DRA12 wad in the new style hulls. I've had excellent results with that combination as well.

17. shrek

shrek Active Member

The old school ones are dandy hulls to reload.

the new style are a little trickier to deal with, you will want to find a wad suited to that hull, the down range DRA1 (1 oz) and DRA12 (1 1/8oz) wads are designed to fit better in the AAHS new style hulls.

also there was some problems with the very first ones of the AAHS hulls with occasional basewad coming loose and lodging in the barrel. a number of factors were involved in the liklihood of that. the first ones had the AA in a box like the old ones. subsequent versions that had the AA not in the box had a re-designed basewad that appears, so far, to have corrected the problem.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Very true. The very first new style hulls still had GA on the head stamping.

19. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

They made a bunch of those early hulls, I know because I have a bunch. My guess is if the lot of hull in the pix are a blend of old and new style, they are old style from the very end of their production and new style from the first generation. It was very difficult to differentiate between the 2 styles because they kept the printing on the outside of the new hulls the same as the old style. They later changed the design a few times and the "AA" no longer has a black "box" around it.

20. mag410

mag410 Active Member

The Silver AA's with blue lettering were 1 ounce Handicap loads.

Michael

rapid86 thanked this.