1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are State Shoots are too close together

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

There was a discussion at the club about the shoots being so close that with this economy they could be spaced out more and might be better attended. Allowing time to save up funds. My response was with the Grand in August it makes it hard for everyone to get theirs in before August. The grand should be in Sept or Oct better weather states have more time to schedule their shoots and it is the end of the shooting season a Grand finally like the world series is to base ball. There are those that say the kids will be in school and could not attend so let the kids have their own special shoot. Or let them miss a few day they will make it up just like if they get sick. The problem is just like in the government a few make the decisions for all of us I would love to see what would happen if they let the members vote on these decisions which will never happen I do realize I do not have all the information so this is just a thought I have with out all the facts but I sure wish it was different. I could be way off on this but would like to know why it is the way it is now. Sporting Clay shooters moved theirs back and got a big increase in shooters at San Antonio I think theirs is in Oct right after the world Skeet shoot.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The Florida State Shoot is always in March. Seems to be enough time until the Grand in August.

Eric

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

State Shoots must be completed before the Zone Shoots which must be completed prior to the GA. Living here in Delaware, I will tell you that starting the state shoot cycle prior to Memorial Day can mean that the shoot will be cold, windy and rainy. It might be all of those things on Memorial day, but even so it will be just a tad warmer.

Trying to get all the shoots in before the Zone and have a reasonable chance for warmer weather means we go back to back to back. De, NJ, PA, PA, Md, and then Va (Pa is twice cause they shoot over two weekends - I just got back from Elysburg and with any luck I can go back up Friday). It really doesn't get any better that.

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

2 weeks out of the 52 for the GAH...

Now we have 50 weeks left, and 50 states to host state shoots...

Not much time left between shoots when you add some more satalite Grands in.

Especially in the northern half of the country where you may get 4 months of decent weather if you are lucky...

Nice thought, but I guess it is hard to do math wise...

Dave

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary. there's no requirement for the state shoots to precede the zone shoots. Nor any reason I can think of, either.

Neil

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Old One Eye I have a question when you go to the Grand do you see High School aged young people working the Grand????

If you do and you can get the Grand moved to October maybe the ATA will have to inform you how many hours you will be required to work in their stead. As they won't be able to work, so everyone will need to pitch in and help get it done.

Just a thought before you complain to strongly.

Bob Lawless

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No. There may be too many satellites though. The market will straighten it out slowly.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Years and years ago, if you were lucky enough, you attended your state shoot, then the Grand. Attending other state shoots is a luxury, not required, and by no means was done by the majority of trap shooters. I remember my Uncle and cousins in the sixties trying to get time off work to attend the Indiana state and the Grand. Wayne

9. laura!

laura! Member

If they have a special shoot for the kids, then they'll have to have a special shoot for the PARENTS cause we can't get away during school either. Any teachers out there shooting trap?

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Like I said I am not aware of all the information but was just wondering out loud. The help at Sparta never even crossed my mind and is a issue for sure. Just wanted to here some feed back as to why it is set up in Aug as it is so hot that time of the year. I do not attend because of the heat at that time but I'm no spring chicken so avoid shooting in the heat it just drains all my energy. I am putting air conditioning in my camper with the thoughts of going to the grand once more I do not need it out west in the summers. Just want to see how it works then see if I feel like it will work for Sparta.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

We are fortunate too have so many shoots to choose from. With a lot of shoots, date conflicts are inevitable.

The trap help problem at Sparta, if the Grand were held in Oct. could be overcome simply by hiring illegal aliens. Does anyone know how to say failure to fire in Spanish?

Pat Ireland

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Here you go Pat:

Error Al Fuego=Failure to fire and you never want to hear "Perdido", that's lost.

Eric

13. JRW

JRW Member

Pat your idea is a good one. We will need the border patrol to keep the coptors from doing fly overs like they do at Spring Grand. Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.