1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

are side by sides comming back?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i noticed alot of double guns side by sides being built by high end gun companies. are they comming back?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think for a small portion of the market- the answer is yes

For an everyday gun? no although some of the imports are pretty darn inexpensive

As a target gun- no

It is amazing how the imports have taken to that market though- both the low and high grade end

On the high grade side- we have Americans still in the market or getting into it- such as CVA

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. smsnyder

double side by side guns are like a classic shotgun. i have never seen anyone shooting one in the field or clays. must be more popular in europe

4. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

It's a good many years ago now, but Fred Missilidine won many doubles championships with a Win M21.

5. smsnyder

i would love to see some one shooting a side by side for trap. i guess it would be hard since they shoot like rabbit guns.

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

There is and has been and always will be something about a classic SxS double. They are timeless. Lovely to look at, to hold, to carry and to shoot. That has not changed since about 1880. As we continue into the era of restricted shooting, the esthetics of the gun are becoming more important to some than the firepower (which took over with a vengence after WW-I). That in my mind is a good thing.

I carried a Fox Sterlingworth 20 gauge with 26" barrels made in 1921 my entire trip to S. Dakota two weeks ago shooting only wild birds. The gun was like a magic wand. Weighs less than 6 pounds and comes up and shoots unconsciously. I almost never missed in 4 days. To me, much more satisfying than hammering away with an 8 pound 12 gauge clacity-clack. But again, that's just my take. Jake

7. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**smokerz: I think Fred shot the model 21 because it was the Flag Ship Gun of the Winchester Line and an over/under was not available.**

Yes, that's true, but it's also true that he sent lots of top doubles shooters to the woodshed with that SxS.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I had the privilege of owning a Model 21 for almost 30 years and it was a joy to shoot and to look at.....circumstances dictated that I sell it a couple of years ago but I will hopefully find another one in need of some TLC in the future.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

While I have never shot trap with a sxs, I have shot a round or two of sporting with them and find it to be a very enjoyable. There isn't a more perfect field piece than a 20ga sxs with 28" barrels.

ec90t

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shot a SXS 20ga a few weeks ago, maybe, a model 21, on the 16. It pointed very good and fast. Inked the birds. First one I ever shot. Had a kick.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I bought the double 20 ec90T had and like the gun a lot! This is only the 2nd double barrel I ever owned and liked them both. My first double was a Winchester mod.24 that I modified some for shooting trap in my younger days. I won several trophies and quite a bit of cash too with it! A steel rod in the stock for extra weight, a raised comb with a lady pad covered with black tape (instant monte-carlo, poor boy style):) Wish I'd kept it, it was a real clay crusher!

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The trigger/striker sears on that mod.24 let go as fast if not faster than my P gun does! Quicker I think. Hap

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Smsnyder, I have a Ithaca 5E sxs that came from the factory as a trap gun. I can asure you it does not shoot like a rabbit gun. It will be at Mikes for a tune up later this year, as I know you are a friend of his you are welcome to shoot it while he has it. Bill

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I always shot a SXS in the field. I like them. I did briefly shoot a M-21 at doubles and briefly was much too long.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.