1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are shot prices going down?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Earlier in the year there were several reports that lead shot would be going down as we go further into the shooting season. What's the latest anyone's heard?

2. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Jon,

I check the price of lead everyday and it is showing a downward trend. Currently the price is around $1.27 a pound. You can go to www.kitcometals.com and see the historic charts on lead prices.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

$55/25# bag at Gander Mountain, Geneva IL on 4/22 for magnum or chilled.

Jay

4. flylta

flylta TS Member

The problem is that the expensive lead is in the supply chain an until that lead is sold you wont see prices come down.

Next problem is that once they realize people will pay the higher price for something you will rarely see the price return to earlier levels.

Just because they pay less doesn't always mean we will.

Ron

5. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Shot at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA was $49.99 / bag yesterday.

Dr. Honk

6. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

We've gotta kick the reclaimation efforts into a higher gear.

Seems like one of you geniuses could modify a snow blower or a roto-tiller to get at some of this.

Eh?

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

what will the cost be to reclaim with diesel fuel at 4.00 a gallon , that is the issue

bill

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My last lead order for West Coast Magnum was $40.00 per bag....I have been advised that the price will be $39.00 for an upcoming order.

It ain't much, but the savings will buy me a few gallons of gas.

Curt - Delaware

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yesterday, one bag of 7.5's was $51.95 plus tax.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It will, but VERY SLOWLY. There are factors driving the train. Ammo manufactures are recording RECORD profits by selling shells at high prices, but this causes suppliers to get more for lead supplied to them. Also there is a lot of high priced shot in the supply chain. Also the eco Nazis are having an effect. The Calif. "Nut Jobs" just passed a bill bnanning all lead rifle/pistol ammo.Slowly prices will fade some as suppliers empty stocks and then undercut those who still have a supply on hand. My guess it will go down to the high 20's again, but I doubt if it falls below. People, especially newbie shooters, are getting used to paying more. Remember if you can sell a product fot TWICE as much without increasing your cost you only have to sell HALF as much to make the same profit. It will greatly cutail the shooting sports which puts pressure on suppliers to sell less, but charge more. It will probably drop some, but cheap shot is probably gone forever!

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

49 bucks a bag at the Gander Mountain in Greensboro NC.

Gun Clubs are $8 a box at the Dick's in Myrtle Beach SC.

FR

12. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

$35.99 at FIN Feather and Fur in Ashland Ohio Yesterday. Down from $38.95.

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

As a Texan Says aint nothing getting any cheaper.!!!

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stop complaining and do something about it. Put up a shot curtain at your club and catch the shot and use it again. Widely used method in other parts of the shooting world, but certainly not in the USA. HMB

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I think shot curtains are a great thing, but aparently not a big business. I would think by now the shot screen manufactures and installers would be hounding gun clubs to death, I had called one such installer and yet to hear back? WHY havent they found their way to web sites like this? Also shot has not gone down in my area. Was just informed it will be 40.00/25# up from 36.50. Except at bass pro dropped from 79.99 to 69.50.

16. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

I shoot #7 steel where i live it is cheaper than lead.

17. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I heard at the club yesterday that CAC (Ebensburg, PA) has West Coast magnum for $36/bag. If it gets under $30 by the end of the year, I'll stock up. The last time I bought shot, it was $22/bag, and I had a ton on hand at the time. My supply is getting low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.