1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

--- ARE--- PWs----Junk????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

No, PW's are not junk. As a matter of fact, I sold a Spolar Hydraulic loader this summer to get my money out of it before the bottom dropped out of the reloading market. Got the old PW off the shelf, dusted it off and started loading better looking shells that the Spolar could ever think of putting out.

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

2. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

i loaded on a 800-b for 30 years no problems, thats the 1 you want.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Selling is will depend on its condition and price, and new one is $649. Additionally, it will depend on which version of the hydraulics you have (new or older version).

I'd post some pictures of it, if you seriously want to sell it, or go to eBay for your best price.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ebay? I may be incorrect but it seems to me that Ebay does not allow anything that is firearms related anymore.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You can sell reloaders!!

6. dward

dward Member

This is a good deal if the hydraulic unit is a PW and in good shape. The hydraulic unit is currently listed for $1199 and the loader for $649. So total new would be $1848 for a new model. I probably would have listed the hydraulics sooner, as when I first read the thread I didn't realize it had the hydraulic unit. If I didn't already have the same thing I'd buy it.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ebay best bet for top dollar on loaders, prices have tanked a bit.

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I bought a NEW 2000P PW set it up happy as hell to have it and then my loads were weak and then they were to many squids. To make a long story short. I had to cut open shells that I did not trust and found that the wad base was cocked eyed in the shell. One side was higher then the other. I did what I was told over the phone, no good. I sent it back to PW and they wanted me to pay FULL SHIPPING on a NEW LOADER that had less then 5000 shells through it. I thought that was wrong. We worked things out and I got it back. The same problem started up again and I sold the loader. I could not trust it. I had about 60 to 70% bad shells per box. I went back to the good old Mec 9000G. I don't know if my loader was a lemon or what but I could not have bad shells on the line.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I can only comment on P/W customer relations. I have called them exactly 4 times about problems with the P/W that I previously owned. Each time my call to an associate left me with no meaningful information as to what the solution to my problem might be; but most importantly, they left me with the feeling that I was "bothering" them. Their general advice was "send it in and we will look at it". Now if you call Hornady or MEC with a problem; they are extremely helpful and friendly. I have had technicians at both Hornady and MEC "talk me through a problem" while I was on the phone. Also, MEC and Hornady will "go the extra mile" to solve the problem. I recently sent a Hornady Apex 3.1 to them to fix a problem and to check the unit out. They not only fixed the problem, they replaced all parts they felt might need replacement and sent the unit back to my home. Absolutely NO charges. Not even for the shipping!! Bottom line; P/W customer relations stinks. In my opinion. Ed

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I purchased a new PW, about 12 years ago. It looked like an engineering masterpiece. I paid about $600 for it, but I don't recall the model number. I sold it 3 months later for $375. I never got through 25 shells without some kind of problem. Some people love them, some people wouldn't take one if you gave it to them (ME!).

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whiz White should take over the company. He understands some of the mechanical "excentricities". I bought a new 800B two years ago and it did not function properly with gearing problems [PW diagnosis]... PW replaced it with a Platinum 2000 that did not feed primers properly. Whiz worked on the problem and finally machined a new arm to feed the primers [the original was about 1/8" too short]. The machine works flawlessly with the new part!! But I too no longer find the PW to be reliable and while the machine was down bought a Spolar. I use the Spolar exclusivley and find the service and quality to be better than the PW [note I used a PW for 20 years]. In my humble opinion, I think that PW has some vendors that are not supplying them with quality parts and in their arrogance will not look at the problems. Fred

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PW has produced more that it's share of "lemons". Many "lemons" were created by the owners themselves.

I own two Spolars-neither is a "lemon"!!

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

PW's are certainly not junk, but they could be improved. It's a good machine at the selling price. As Fred mentioned, for example, the primer feed should be improved but I suspect the company is very small with limited resources. They do a good job of keeping the price down. That seems to be a primary objective, hence their constant sales which limits improvement. I don't think it's really fair to compare PW with Spolar, since the Spolar is over twice the cost of a PW. I think it could be made a much better machine at a cost still far below the cost of a Spolar. But essentially it's a bottom line business decision.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I picked up a neglected PW 800 for next to nothing and let it gather dust for several years. Then I was fortunate enough to get in contact with Whiz White who helped me get the machine up and running. Whiz provided detailed written instructions that made the overhaul easy, great guy.

I'm sure there are better loaders than the PW 800 but the one I have makes great shells in quantity. I certainly wouldn't describe a PW 800 as junk, it is well made and has very interesting design features.

15. clayshooter53

clayshooter53 TS Member

For what I spent on my 800B about 30 years ago I have had very few problems with it. USM Retired is correct. When adjusting the machine use tiny steps with any adjustment. One part I had to change was the ball-on-a-stick handle. I had a couple of times when the ball slipped out of my hand....well it was mess and it took a while to get things going again. Installation of the shovel handle was a great improvement. Another part I had to change was one of the activation arms which broke at one of the holes. I made a couple of upgrades: changed the dies for a tapered crimp, installed a 300 count primer tray, and of course the shovel handle. All in all my machine has been quite reliable. I have over 150,000 (yes you read that right) shells through it. I was reloading for 4 people. Any one who purchases a PW loader needs to have a little bit of a mechanic in him, along with some patience. I don't know Wiz White, but from what I have read on this thread he really knows his stuff about these loaders.
    Good luck to all you fine reloaders

Billy P
    Rochester NY

16. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Talking about service I bought a NEW Mec loader and a part was missing. I called and I got someone who really did not want to do his job or help me. I told him if I bought a used loader and a part was missing so be it. Thats my problem but when I buy a new loader and a part is missing that is your problem. he did not care. I hung up and called back and said how high upcan I go? I got the Pre's of the co and he said that should have never happen and that he was sorry for it. I told him the name of the person and the problem I had and he had the part I needed in the mail red lable. He also agreed that the part should have been in the box and if it was not it should be mail to you as fast as it can be. Mec has great service.

17. primer

primer TS Member

What points on a 800B do you lub, and what type of lub do you use. Thanks

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have 3 PW 2 900 and 1 800b and they take some fine tuning but once set they are a wonderful loader to use. I have shovel handles on all three I like the click on the 800b it just makes me smile when all is well. Over the years I have been up close and personal with all three machines and got to know them inside and out and feel they are the best bang for the buck out there. I purchased all three used. I only wanted 2 in case one broke but papcharlie got me when he offered the 800b for 100.00 it was old and crusty look bad next day 2 hours later it was loading shells and because I am a self inflicted bottom feeder it is my favorite loader. One set for 1 1/8 one 1 oz and one 7/8 no bushing changes for me know.

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

When in doubt ask for Whiz. Hes help me several times.

20. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

In my humble opinion, if your not using a "The Grand" by RCBS, your just spinning your wheels. Excellent machine and outstanding customer service. BEN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pws are junk