1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are our Clubs charging too much?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by below 0, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Just recieved my Cabelas Shoot program today. It seems that every year the target prices go up another couple of dollars. I realize that the clubs need to make a profit, but would like to have someone explain how some clubs can make money at $3.00 targets, and other clubs need $27.00 a hundred to hold a shoot. Please advise...Odie

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All, I can say registered shooting in some locations is significantly cheaper than shooting at clubs if you are a non member. In fl.it is common place for $9-$10.00/ game for non-club members.

Phil Berkowitz

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Odie, depends on weather that club is run by volunteer members or paid employee's to due the work around the club!!! Also if the club stills owes the bank for a mortage or if the club is totally paid for. Property taxes and Insurance can be big factors as well. Lights and night shooting will add to target costs. I'm sure I missed a couple. Break-em all. Jeff

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The fixed expenses of a club should be paid for by the member's dues. Not the profit from shooting a round of trap. From what I have seen on this forum most of the trap shooters pay very little dues at the club they belong to. HMB

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

hbm and "Pull and Mark" both have it right. The little club I belong to charges members $3.50 per round and non-members $5.00. We do not try to make a profit from trap. This is a fun event for those who want to participate. The trap side also stocks supplies with a small 5% markup. We only pull 14 to 22 relays a week. shooting is once weekly and one Sunday each month.

The trap side is run by volunteers only. Targets cost about $1.90 per round. 7% of the fee goes for state sales taxes. The club makes $1 or $2 per round per person. Gee, that is about $100 per week profit. We only have one machine and do not have the room for more.

Membership fees of $150 per year pay the operating cost of the club. The land is paid for. Insurance, real estate tax and paid range officers eat up a lot of membership fees. Our yearly expenses are about $100,000.

Trap pays for itself and puts a small profit in the pot.

Clubs without a membership fee or a small membership fee, with property payments to make, with improvements to make, with trap machines to pay for, with on and on have to charge more per round.

Another club in the area shoots 5 stand, 2 skeet ranges and 3 trap ranges three times a week. I would estimate they shoot 250 relays a week combined. Their charge is $5 members and $7 non-members. The yearly membership fees are a low $25 per year. Their property is gifted by the county (I don't think they pay anything). Between memberships and target profits I am guessing they have an income of about $200,000 to $250,000 per year before expenses but after targets. That is not a lot to run a club of their size and cover the start up cost of the club. It is a new club.

If your club is owned by the membership take the time to get involved and find out what expenses they have. You may be able to help them reduce their cost. You may find out the club is being run properly yet is underfunded.

A private facility like the Dollar have another huge set of problems to cope with. Even small privately owned clubs are very expensive to operate profitably and provide the owner/operator with a livable income.

In short - s**t's expensive and it will not get any better!

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

By the way - running a shoot may require some paid staffers plus the ATA fees. As shooter attendance drops off the cost per shooter goes up.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

below 0........at 3.00 per round the Club is either not making any money or they are not paying liability ins., taxes, paid help, or much in upkeep or utilities. There are indeed many facotrs but the bottom line is all expenses must be covered to survive long term. -----------hmb has it right....all club dues should cover all the fixed expenses and the extra monies from shoots should go towards improvements and "extras"--this area seems to be a major problem for some clubs to comprehend this.

8. letts

letts TS Member

$3.00 per round is cheap, I hope not to cheap. Thats what our all voluntarily run club charges. We shoot over Pat trap machines so I have to believe we are holding our heads above water.

Letts

Two trap, two skeet, 10 station sporting clays, indoor shooting range And 600 yard outdoor shooting range, No ATA shoots in several years,300 members, The club is also over 100 years old, It takes awhile to build up a club such as this and even though we shoot all winter participation is down over the summer months.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3.50 is not too much, and that's what we charge.

HM

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Letts, how may fields? Anything other than trap? Rifle/pistol? How much for yearly memberships? How many members? Does your club host ATA shoots? Registered?

11. below 0

below 0 TS Member

It's the registered shoots that I am refering to. At $127.00 a hundred before any ATA or state fees, it seem to me that the Clubs are getting too darn expensive for this country boys tastes. I am glad to shoot at clubs ,that charge $3 to $4 a round, butmore than that is excisive. Odie

12. below 0

below 0 TS Member

That should be $27.00 a hundred. OOps

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

"Below Q" - Who has the gall to charge $27 per hundred before ATA and State fees?

At $27 per hundred they should have a very large purse combined with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I kinda remember that the State of Illinois tacked on a fee per event/ not for the day,@ the Grand.. Am I correct?

Phil Berkowitz

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't think any club should be in it for a profit---Charge enough to make ends meet---A full accounting of all $$s should be given to each member at end of year--and audits if necessary----JMO---George@SJB---

16. Don S

Don S Member

The Illinois State Trap Association does not charge the $1.00 fee per hundred at the Grand.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is all about expenses. At $3.50 - $4.00 per round, you cannot have much in the way of expenses to make it break even let alone be profitable too. Dues do play a big part as well as the merchandising of shells, lead, wads powder etc. I hear a lot of complaining about $4 rounds???? Thats dirt cheap as it is over twice that in a lot of places

18. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Private clubs are out there and they must make more dollars than clubs owned by the membership. Private clubs do not have the volunteer folks to get the job done on the cheap.

Also, may clubs have paid managers. Look at the club you are joining and make sure it has the facilities you want and are willing to pay for. The more you want the more you must pay for.

You will find the clubs with the country club atmosphere will have to charge more for membership and targets to pay for the services.

19. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

635G-I am here in FL. Where is it commonplace to shoot trap at the prices that you mentioned? Thanks--Dennis.

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

DENNISMASTROLIA1, I think they pay that much in the Miami area where the club is run by the county and it is the only game in town. I shoot around Orlando for $3.50 to $5.00 per round. How much is Dollar, Sarasota, Flagler and Jacksonville?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.