1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Olympic 223's any good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Are Olympic 223

I just got one in and it has the 19 inch bull barrel. It has the scope mount and looks a lot like the bushmaster. Not familiar with it and I can own it for $600.00 versus $900.00 for the bushmaster. Suggestions and opinions please. Jackie B.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I built one based on the Olympic receiver and it was a tack driver. No problems at all with that gun. Wish I didn't sell it. Bulge.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Olympics are the lowest priced of the ARs. In a rating system compiled on M4carbine.net of the twelve rifles they rated, the Olympic was rated 11th with the DPMS rated 12th, the Bushie 9th. Personally I've never seen one live, but have heard the phrase, "as long as it's not an Olympic" more than a few times. I would think if you put hand picked parts in one of their receivers you would come out okay. Good luck.

4. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Have owen one for five years now and have put 10,000 round thru it and still going strong I shoot action matches with it ,20 inch barrel (stainless steel) A2 stile keep it clean and keep up maintance and it will work fine.Also shoot .75 groups at 100 yds.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

For $600 buy it if it is not beat up. You will always get your $$$ back & then some

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It is brand new. I had the opportunty to order it and the actual price is $651.00 plus tax. The store owner allows me to get guns at cost. I order the sporting goods for store which includes fishing gear, bows, and all shooting gear. One of the benifits I enjoy. Jackie B.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

DPMS rated 12th???? and Olympic was rated higher???? Naaaaaaaaa.. I'm not buying that...

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've built more than a few AR's.. While I fully agree they are not Rock Rivers.. I've never had any problems with them.. Also.. putting DPMS on the bottom of the list..???? I think not.. That honor should go to the Vulcan.. I think that was made in Willie Wanka's factory.. Nothing fit correctly..

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I would buy it. I have an Olympic Arms 9mm upper on a DPMS lower, and the combo runs with no problems. I can't understand why DPMS would rate so low, all their recievers that I have seen are forged. Olympic has been in business since 1976.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

if you plan to buy it and shoot it, its ok. I'm new to AR but spent much time scaning AR type web sites. M4carbine, AR15.com , ect ect

What I learned about Oly's. They had a bad run with cast parts years ago. Also one tale said they where useing worn out machines bought from other company's??? Olympic offers a lifetime warrenty on current production. you wont find much better for your price. possible to piece one together.
    I got in on a group buy for a STAG M2 upper complete with lower parts kit for 599.00 plus a S&W lower for 129.00 730.00 and I have to assemble.

11. Jay62

Jay62 TS Member

I have had a Olympic Arms .223 and it is the only gun I have ever sold.. I replaced it with a bushmaster Car15, these guns where for my wife. the Olympic Arms would JAM every clip. I got the gun new, and took good care of it. the new Bushmaster. is great. Not sure if typical with what other people find, but I would spend the extra money, and not get the Olympic Arms, I would have saved the money, if I had just got the Bushmaster at the start.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Oly's have a poor reputation among AR15 aficionados. Deserved or not, I can't personally say since I have never owned one.

The top of the food chain around here is Noveske, Lewis Machine & Tool, JP Enterprises, CMMG and then Colt from a "name" perspective. I don't think Colt is better than an average gun but they still have prestige. I own a Bushy, a Rock River and a "parts" gun built on a Sun Devil lower. Also have a JP15 upper.

Bushmaster makes the ARs for Remington.

I think the receiver problems that were mentioned above re Olys is a big reason for them being avoided.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

you will find ARs are like trap guns. You can go with 1000 and under or skys the limit.
    my first AR purchase 1000.00 or less
    I chose STAG out of S&W,bushmaster,colt,DPMS,Rock river
    #1 They where the only company that answered my emails and phone call
    #2 EVERY time I called I did not have to get Aaahhmmm, idunno hold on game with my questions
    #3 I like the fact that they produce a lot of the parts themself. I guess dad owns the machine shop and military end of the business and son runs the civilian market. So far I have had no issues with mine. I clean and lube it per military specs from a M16 manual. I replace springs and followers on any used mag I purchase. I am not a good rifle shooter my stag with iron site shoots 3" at 100y average with wolf ammo. my best is 1.5" 3 shot group. Unless your looking for a match grade gun. you should not exspect much more than MOM out of an AR MOM(minute of man)

14. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

The issue with Oly's was consistency. Some were good, some not, luck of the draw. Don't know if that's been resolved yet, a local AR-'smith tells me not. He won't touch or work on any of their AR parts. I had one heavy stainless target barrel in 1995 I put on a Colt upper that was decent, not steller. Nearly all loads averaged 1.5-2" (10-shot groups, 100 yds) though some were better, 2 or 3 did 1.2". I pulled it and gave the barrel to a gunsmith who planned to use it for blasting until it was shot out. I won't buy Oly. Maybe ask on AR15.com/forums or BrianEnos.com? Phil E

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wouldn't worry about quality with Olympic Arms these days. I just wouldn't pay too much for the gun. They're good and solid, but there are better ARs out there.<br>
    <br>
    The real problem with Oly Arms are the guns they made a number of years ago. Especially when they were casting their lower receivers. Ironically, their website has (or did have) info showing the difference between a cast and forged lower.<br>
    <br>
    The biggest complaint about Olys today is that they aren't milspec. Never were, and probably never will be.<br>
    <br>
    Having said that, I have an Oly flat top upper with their stainless Ultramatch barrel. This barrel is probably the best thing Oly ever made.<br>
    <br>
    I also have some much older forged Olys. Bought them used. One took a lot of work to get it to function, because it simply would not work with milspec innards. Of course, I got it dirt cheap because it was a known problem gun, and was priced accordingly. Not all sellers of used guns are that honest, though.<br>
    <br>
    I can tell you this... I would rather buy a $600 Oly AR than a $2000 Ruger AR, because Ruger can't even copy a damn Kel-Tec right.

16. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

DPMS at the bottom of the list???? I don't think so.
    I have an Oly and a DMPS and both shoot great.

17. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

I have an Olympic flat top with the stainless bull barrel. Came with a set of iron sights that go on just like a scope would. A friend who works for JP Enterprises installed one of their trigger systems, the pull is about 2 pounds.
    I cleaned before the first shot, and then every shot for 10 rounds. Used a coated rod and a JP bore guide. (Was going to do 20, but couldn't take it anymore.) I've only put 60 some rounds total through it, but no malufunctions of any kind. With 55gr PMC factory ammunition it shot a 10" 4 shot group at 400 yards with the open sights. Pulling together components to start developing handloads. Dan

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bryan.. are the Olympics still out of spec today??? I've repaired a few with no issues..but never built one from scratch.. I've built a few 1911's out of spec.. and its darn frustrating. I've built more than a few Rock Rivers and DPMS and each and everyone was flawless.. They leave just enough metal at the right places for excellent fit and lockup.. with only minutes of work.. Any reports on the S&W lower??? I was offered 2 this weekend for $250 each.. complete with 4 way stock .. I passed on them because I knew nothing about them... All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.