1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Obama and Feinstein Confused?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by SBray, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBray

SBray Active Member

I just finished reading an article in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) titled, "The Facts About Assault Weapons and Crime" by John R. Lott Jr.

The article was located in today's WSJ's Opinion section. In it were described findings of studies on assault weapon bans in this country. It seems that the two studies confuse both President Obama and Senator Feinstein. Two noted criminologists mentioned in the article determined the ban could not be found to be responsible for effecting gun violence, even though Feinstein and Obama still believe a ban would have some benefit.

Here are some notable quotes:

"Yet despite being at the center of the gun-control debate for decades, neither President Obama nor Ms. Feinstein (the author of the 1994 legislation) seems to understand the leading research on the effects of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. In addition, they continue to mislabel the weapons they seek to ban."

" Seven years later, in 2004, they published a follow-up study for the National Institute of Justice with fellow criminologist Dan Woods that concluded, "we cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation's recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence."

" Moreover, none of the weapons banned under the 1994 legislation or the updated version are "military" weapons."

"The civilian version of the Bushmaster uses essentially the same sorts of bullets as small game-hunting rifles, fires at the same rapidity (one bullet per pull of the trigger), and does the same damage. The civilian version of the AK-47 is similar, though it fires a much larger bullet—.30 inches in diameter, as opposed to the .223 inch rounds used by the Bushmaster. No self-respecting military in the world would use the civilian version of these guns."

"Since the Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired in September 2004, murder and overall violent-crime rates have fallen. In 2003, the last full year before the law expired, the U.S. murder rate was 5.7 per 100,000 people, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Report. By 2011, the murder rate fell to 4.7 per 100,000 people. One should also bear in mind that just 2.6% of all murders are committed using any type of rifle.

"The Bushmaster, like any gun, is indeed very dangerous, but it is not a weapon "designed for the theater of war." Banning assault weapons will not make Americans safer.

Mr. Lott is a former chief economist at the United States Sentencing Commission and the author of "More Guns, Less Crime" (University of Chicago Press, third edition, 2010).

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

One cannot engage these rabid anti-gunners from the position that one can have a rational understanding with them, as if they are merely misguided. They aren't misguided, they are evil. They have an agenda which is to disarm the American people, and they will lie, cheat, back stab and worse to promote their agenda to success.

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Wireguy, would they really be so callous as to use children as theatre to promote an agenda? (sarc)

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

We make the mistake thinking these people are rational people like ourselves wjho believe in finding a solution to fix a problem that would be workable for both sides.

What the ruling class elistists believe is anyone outside their realm of thinking is not capable of taking care of themselves, or is an enemy that must be completely and totally crushed. It is and always will be their way or the highway. They will never deal with us in a fair and equal position.

5. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

They got the script workin...

tinman88_2008_0303144.jpg

6. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

"even though Feinstein and Obama still believe a ban would have some benefit. "

No...they don't believe that any more than you or I believe it.
    If you try to sway those types with facts, logic, etc...you've already lost.
    You can't reason with a rabid dog and that's pretty much how the left is responding.
    Facts will have no meaning in this battle.

7. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Theyre not confused they are Idiots like the people who voted democrat!

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe their mental state ought to be tested.

9. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

On Fox News Sunday recently, I heard Dianne Feinstein talk about being able to buy a slide-fire device for an AK-47 that makes it fully automatic AND IS ENTIRELY LEGAL.

Unfortunately, nobody called her on the lie. That seems to be a common pattern.

Tony

10. kkeiser

kkeiser TS Member

AJKOHLER...check the link. I don't know if there is a similar attachment manufactured for an AK-47, but there definitely is for an AR platform.

I was dismayed to find my own employees posting their bump firing videos on youtube and tried to encourage them to stop feeding the anti gunners.

Keith

11. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

They are not confused on "their" game plan. Whatever they think is the most saleable is their tactic regardless of truth.

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Oh, i gotta get one of those.

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

But wait, the left's own BATFE says it's perfectly legal.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Are Obama and Feinstein Confused?"

Steve no they aren't confused they are just lying plain and simple lies by omission.

"But wait, the left's own BATFE says it's perfectly legal."

Wireguy it is now but if the AW ban either of them his or hers they passes they won't be as a collapsible stock won't be allowed on any of them even the already existing ones.

Bob Lawless

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I wonder if Feinstein turned in her conceal permit?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vQMwpbSjC1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She's such a hypocrite.....

Jerbear

16. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

The reason politicians get away with lies is because the electorate is woefully ignorant. Chichay

17. SBray

SBray Active Member

Bob,

"Are Obama and Feinstein Confused?"

I guess I wasn't being sarcastic enough!

Steve

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Steve I guess you and just see things differently. I wasn't being sarcastic I was just being truthful.

She had no trouble finding the first report what would make me think she couldn't find the second. If she had the people she employs secure the reports for her they more than likely would have secured both reports.

So I just assumed that she made a choice as to what report she used in her bill. The following is used in in her bill which is on her website under Assault Weapons.

In a Department of Justice study (pdf), Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper find that the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban was responsible for a 6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders, holding all other factors equal. They write: “Assault weapons are disproportionately involved in murders with multiple victims, multiple wounds per victim, and police officers as victims.

Original source (page 2): Jeffrey A. Roth & Christopher S. Koper, “Impact Evaluation of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994,” The Urban Institute (March 1997)."

That is what I get from what I am reading.

Bob Lawless

19. SBray

SBray Active Member

Bob,

I completely (100%) agree with what you just wrote in your last post.

Steve

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Are they confused? NO!

You have to have a brain first and be able to use it, before you can ever get confused!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.