1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Nikon scopes worth owning anymore?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigmike, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

The Nikon Monarck,and Buckmaster series scopes are good.I have several of them with no probems.The only thing i dont like is you have a hard time getting to talk to a live person on the phone for customer service.Shoot well,bigmike

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

More bang for the buck.

My best is a Zeiss. Nikon Monarch is the second best at about 40 per cent less cost.

All the companies have a second tier model, I find the Buckmaster to top that class. Don't waste your money on a 3200.

JMO

HM

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have both owned Pro Staff and Monarch scopes. I never had any problems with either and would not hesitate owning another. I currently use a Leupold VL 3...its a great scope but at several times the cost of either Nikon.

JMHO

Jim C

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have been impressed with Trijicon rifle scopes (yes, they make a series for hunting rifles - I think they are made in Japan).

I have an older Nikon which I still love (on a 30'06 Ruger), as well as a Shepherd on a Sako in 300 Weatherby (http://www.shepherdscopes.com/) - love the range finder. Wish these both had larger objectives.

I have two Zeiss Diavari scopes (30mm tubes) - both on 308's (H & K 91, Sako Finlight).

If I were to give advice look for 30mm tubes not 1" - much better optics over-all. Also, look for the biggest objective you can (better light gathering in low-light conditions). I've learned to shop for scopes in the evening - see how the scope handles low light.

I looked at Night Force the other day - very sharp optics, but there was lots of light so I cannot comment on the low-light quality of the scope.

An illuminated reticle is a nice thing too...

If you are looking for 'cheap' consider a fixed power scope - these cost a lot less, and quite frankly have better optics in that they are built for the fixed power, not a compromise for the adjustable range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.