1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are new shells really better?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gary Waalkes, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

frequently, these threads start up about using factory shells and how good they are and should be used at big shoots, etc. I have often responded with negative stories about factory shells. This story is no different. I flew out to the GA and thus had to purchase shells to shoot. Remington was giving an on the spot 20 buck per flat rebate so I bought some of their shells. I bought a bunch of the 1 1/8 oz 8 1/2s for singles. Shot a 197 one of the days so I bought more for the clay target championship. My gun pointing betrayed me that day, but so did the Remington shells. I had two squib loads out of the 8 boxes of shells. So instead of a losing score of 96 / 98, my score was a losing 95 / 97. very disappointing but if I had been competitive, I would have really been p___ed. the shells in question are STS12L85 lot # 20114. My reloads do not do that.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I've shot more than 160,000 factory rounds and I've had two misfires and those were about 15 years ago. My experience is no more definitive than yours.

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Gary

I have had about the same luck as you with new loads. The last new shells I shot were Federal Premiums and several out of a two different cases separated the brass from the plastic and left the plastic stuck in the barrel. What a mess!
    Any reload that comes off my presses are far more reliable than new shells, so that is what I use.

Just think if you had been in the shoot off for the 100K and you were straight till the last target and had that happen. Ouch!

Mark Rounds

4. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I can't say that factory loads are better but I will say that I mentally am more comfortable shooting my own reloaded shells.

5. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

I have never had a misfire in a factory shell...mostly top guns and AA shells. Love AA Heavy Red but they're $83 a flat in Canada...so Top Guns it is.

Reloads on the other hand...I've had plenty...but always my fault tinkering with primer depth, etc etc...

Beau

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer. Let's ask Leo, Ray, Dan B, Kay, Harlan,George,Dan O,and all those others that don't have the time to reload and have to put up with shooting those premium shells....

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my reloads....when I have used Gun Clubs I have had some squib loads (two this past winter.....never with my reloads, Also got screwed with new STS's, one box with 24, another with 23 shells....is this how they help pay for the rebates??

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

BigM-Perazzi

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Mark Rounds

9. BigM-Perazzi

Mark, Really? How so.

10. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

BigM-Perazzi

In my opinion, every shooter you listed is sponsored by shell companies in some way. What about the Federal Rep that just won the 100K...do you think he always pays full price for his shells?

Of course I can't prove it and I don't have to. It is just my opinion....it is just an assumption. But before you start flaming away, prove to me they are not sponsored and I will change my opinion. Of course you don't have to do that either, so this discussion could go on forever with no results ever established.

Mark Rounds

P.S. Oh by the way, I wish a shell company would sponsor me!

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Rick

That is what it is all about anyway...confidence.

Mark Rounds

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

It is subjective at best. And confidence is a huge factor regardless if factory or reloads.

I can say without hesitation that when it counts the most, I would use my reloads every time over factory. Anything wrong with factory? Probably not, but in the few cases of new shells I have shot, significantly more off sounding, non-firing shells than my reloads by a huge factor. Yes, I use a Spolar proudly, but I can honestly say with my P/W and Mec units, never had a problem either.

I as many others are not speed loaders, and extracting 1100 shells per hour is not my goal. In enjoy the hobby, and the quality of my efforts. I regularly weight the powder and shot drop (not sure why, as it is always spot on?), but old habits die hard. I believe the hydraulic power really smooths things out in that regard.

If I felt factory shells were better, I would simply pony up some cash and buy a ton of them. Instead, I buy shot by the pallet, and have enough powder, wads and primers to carry me through a few years, and picking more up this weekend just in case.

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a brand new silver handicap AA sitting on my dresser that was a FTF tried it in 2 different guns, had a winchester turkey load FTF on my first turkey, also had 5-6 diana's that FTF at a 4h trap comp last winter..

14. BigM-Perazzi

Mark I'm sure they are provided shells. I'm also pretty confident they have a high level of confidence in what their putting in their guns. Otherwise, they'd be using reloads, either theirs or someone else's they had confidence in.

15. team henges

team henges TS Member

I have had more misfires with factory AAs than anything else. I also have this problem with Winchester primers. Needless to say I don't shoot Winchester ammo. I have never had a misfire with a federal top gun or a Remington sts or Remington primer while reloading. I don't think factoires are any better than reloads

Brendan

16. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

BigM-Perazzi

My guess is you are right. Although time and effort producing quality reloads probably plays a substantial role in their decision.

Mark

17. missed some

missed some TS Member

BUT where do you guys get the cases to reload?

18. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

missed from

I don't know where you are from, but in northern Kentucky there is a club shooting every day and night of the week close by. Access to free hulls is very easy in my area. And you could also buy them on this forum fairly easy.

Mark Rounds

19. BigM-Perazzi

What amazes me is how no one ever has an issue with their reloads, but, I'm constantly seeing wads stuck in barrels from no powder, shot rolling out the end of the barrel. Primers not firing because they were never decapped, basewads migrating, crimps not staying shut....etc. But, no one ever claims to have had that problem. But, let one or two factory shells that didn't fire because of any number of gun reasons, (broken firing pin springs, headspace) condems the whole lot. Yes, I've had a Federal Paper not fire on a registered target. And I've had a whole lot # of Remington Gun Clubs not fire reliably in my Perazzi and Beretta's. I agree we can all diligently make reloads equal to premium factory ammo, I just don't think we can do it in the consistent quantity or consistent quality control that the factory does...

20. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Well that entirely depends on the time and effort a person doing the reloading puts into his product. It is called quality control on a one on one basis.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.