1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are new Savage rifles any good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I saw a new Savage rifle in a gun store and it felt ok, It was 22-250 caliber. It was only $375 new I wonder if they are worth it??

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

All the newer Savage rifles shoot good. From the Apex to the top of the line models they are all good.

ss

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I bought 2 of them.22-250 and a 223,Model BVSS .Very accurate with my handloads!Some say they are the most accurate factory gun out of the box.PJ

4. musky

musky TS Member

My dad and i both bought 270wsm with accutrigger. Both guns super accurate.

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

I read where a number of competitions are being won with Savages of late so the quality must be there. Seems like they might be a budget alternative to the Remington 700. If I keep reading good things I may go for a .25-06 this year.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I have seen nothing but excellent comments and reviews about them. I don't personally own one, but would definitely consider it for my next rifle purchase.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Anybody have a Savage Campers Companion 20 Ga. under 30-30 for sale?- Frank C

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Frank C,

I have a 24V deluxe in that configureation, but it ain't for sale. It's the most oddball version I've ever seen.

ss

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

for 375 that must be an edge- shorter barrel- and not the new savage trigger but what the heck -- the action is a strong one

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I have two ,,17 hmr and a heavy barrel 223 ,both very accurate,,,MX8Dave

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

Is the Edge and the Apex the same rifle? I have several newer Savage 110-10 models and they are all shooters.

12. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

The Savage Palma Rifle is about $1100 MSRP and they can be had for around $900 easily. These guns are sub 1/2MOA right out of the box.

You will spend more on a scope than this rifle costs. If you shoot Palma match then the sights will cost you almost what the rifle cost.

If you look at the results of the various long range matches, the Savage name currently comes up more frequesntly than all others combined.

There is a TV commercial on the Outdoor Channel that shows a guy hitting 2 steel plates that are about 18" in dia from 1169 yards. They made that commercial for a reason and they didn't have work that hard at it.

I have read numerous stories in gun mags about these guns, and the general consensus is the accuracy is well above what 99.9% of shooters can use.

I want a Palma Rifle and will get one someday. It would be the most accurate rifle I could ever own. The fact that it doesn't cost $8 grand is just icing on the cake.

The fact that the lower grade Savage Rifles are relatively inexpensive is not a bad thing, it is a testament to sound engineering and manufacturing expertise. And most assuredly a testament to a companies disdane for "Hoopla and Oink!" What they are doing works, simple as that. they could easily charge more, they choose not to.

I don't think you can go wrong on a hunting rifle with the Savage name on it.

Lots of bang for your buck! Pun intended!

Randy

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yes..the EDge and the Apex are the same...they were first called the Edge then had to change the name after being informed that another firm had copyrights on the name EDge...so now you have only the Apex

14. SALPICAO

SALPICAO TS Member

i have the 22-250 and i love it shoots really well

15. f18

f18 Member

I have a 6BR,308,2506,223,300mag,and a 338 all shoot very well better than my remington 700 rifles.
    Mick

16. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

It is not Apex. It was renamed the "AXIS". I have sold several in different calibers and everyone is very pleased with the accuracy out of the box with factory ammo.

17. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

At last count, I have 7 Savages in various configurations and 7 extra barrels totaling 14 calibers in all and they all shoot well. You cannot find a better rifle for the price right out of the box and if you want, you can screw on a Shilen Match Barrel in your shop in 10 minutes if the gun is not shooting to your liking. Very shooter friendly.

Jeff

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 241055 View attachment 241056

They sure are! I've posted these before. I bought my son Sean a Savage Predator Hunter in .223. This coyote was trotting sideways to Sean at 175 yards. Sean called his shot, said he'd put the bullet behind the coyote's ear, and he did.

The other pic is Sean's Savage 17 HMR. Also very accurate. I think this was Sean's first gray digger he shot with it. He's since switched entirely from .223 to .17 HMR for gray diggers.

19. cabman

cabman TS Member

Buffalo, pheasant, deer, and antelope hunting--experience the difference at the Rockin' 7!

Savage .243

Best gun out of the box with factory ammo...........

Rockin' 7 Ranch
    Prairie Dog Statistics

Longest confirmed shot of the year:
    2002--Tom Arnold --735 yards
    2003--Bill Malicki--804 yards

20. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have a Savage .17 cal, mod 93R17. I think it is probably the most accurate gun I have ever owned. 2 years ago I shot a Red Fox at about 175 yds. Killed it dead instantly. I will be the first to admit it was a lucky shot for me. Out of the box the trigger was a little sloppy but Chris Vendel worked it over for me and now its great. (they say it can't be done). Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is the savage 93r17 any good

savage shooters forum