1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are mercury recoil reducers helpful?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SelectEnergyJim, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SelectEnergyJim

SelectEnergyJim TS Member

Let me start by saying that I am new to trapshooting. I picked up a friends Winchester Select Energy, loved it and bought one of my own. So here's the question: Some of the guys I'm shooting with are using mercury recoil reducers. Do they really work or is there a placebo effect here? If they are effective, what type is best (in barrel or stock)? Is there a rule of thumb as to how much weight to add? I know a lot of this is just personal preference but I would prefer to have the advice of some experienced shooters before I make a purchase that may be for naught.
    Thank you,
    Jim

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

just add weight.

3. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Jim,

I work in a machine shop and make stock weights for a hobby. I have them in about any weight you may want. I also powdercoat them. They are $15.00 shipped to you. Email me if interested. Thanks, Matt

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have not seen any sound data that demonstrates mercury reducers are any better at reducing recoil than an equivalent amount of static weight.

Pat Ireland

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

There is a ton of anecdotal data out there concerning mercury reducers- some good and some bad. I'm convinced that they contribute to global warming, which is why I love them.

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Whether its the mercury or just the weight I can't say, but they will reduce the amount of felt recoil. I have a couple of them.

hubcap

7. SelectEnergyJim

SelectEnergyJim TS Member

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I guess I'll just add some weight. That's why I asked. I just saved some money that will soon become another case of shells!!
    Thanks again,
    Jim

8. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Like I said before I make recoil reducers (stock weights) as a hobby. My opinion is that mercury reducers don't help that much. Just a gimmick to spend $30-50 bucks. I have tried them all. I make a good steel one in any weight wanted. I powdercoat then so they are rust free. I tap one end for 1/4-20 threads and include a bolt for removal. I work in a machine shop, and build these for fun and a extra practice round. I am very recoil sensitive. Any weight in the buttstock helps. If you want to eliminate recoil I suggest a PFS. If you don't want that, email me. I can get you a reducer for $15.00 shipped to you. Matt

9. smartass

smartass TS Member

not to quibble, Matt, but since you are a competitior, you are hardly capable of an unbiased opinion.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I make these and use them on my guns, works great for reducing felt recoil. Quicker acting on recoil than some splashing liquid or spring loaded mechanism too. Each inch weighs about 4.xx ounce per inch.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hap

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- Your photo raised another question. The recoil has two basic vectors. These are back against our shoulders and up into or cheek. A 6 oz weight anywhere on the gun will have the same effect on rearward movement. But, wouldn't a 6 oz weight past the forearm retard the upward movement more than a similar weight near the recoil pad?

Pat Ireland

12. Hap MecTweaks

Pat, yes, it certainly does exactly that! The gun pictured above has no muzzle flip at all with the unit seen here. At 13 pounds, felt recoil is almost like shooting a BB gun, with a 1200 FPS 1-1/8 load or a heavier handicap load. The balance point on the gun pictured above is barely forward of the hinge pin. It does take some extra conditioning to learn to shoot a heavy gun though. A heavy gun is certainly NOT for the arm swingers crowd, it will wear down that leading hand/arm in a hurry! Guys that have shot this gun from long yardage couldn't believe how soft the recoil was as you'd expect. A heavy shotgun certainly isn't for everyone but it sure cuts down the felt recoil. Hap

13. Hap MecTweaks

Skip, shooting a heavy gun requires it be done with strictly an upper body move. Locking the left elbow to support the guns weight makes it necessary for the upper body move and that's not a bad thing. It's very hard to stop the forward move once started and I shoot targets fairly quick compared to the speed of the average shot. Attempting to start this gun toward a tough angle with the leading hand alone would be a tough chore, hence the locked upper body move. Once in a while, I've gotten lucky enough to break a hundred singles with it though. Then again, I don't shoot that many registered targets either. A heavy gun just works better for me with my back and neck problems. One would think a lighter gun may be better under those circumstances but not in my experiences. Like most anything, it's different strokes for different folks. Hap

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jim;

I agree that mercury recoil reducers are probably no more effective than an equal amount of lead weight. Know, however, that adding effective weight to the butt stock could make the barrel seem light or whippy. Also adding weight to the fore end of course, would return the gun's balance to where it was before weight was added.

I would be willing to bet that the guys you shoot with who are using mercury devices, are either shooting guns with stocks that do not fit their individual sizes and shapes or are using a shooting form - stance, gun mount, body posture - that is less than ideal.

If I am correct, they are treating a symptom (objectionable felt recoil) rather than eliminating the cause of it.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.