1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Kumho tires junk?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolar412, Sep 21, 2013.

1. kolar412

kolar412 Member

On my daily driver which has 27,600 miles, the tires that came on it are wearing our. I replaced one and will replace the others in October. Is this normal? Please share your thoguhts and opinions.

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I have had the same experience with Kumho's tires on my wife's Chrysler mini van. Less than 3 years old and under 30k. I looked at replacements this week.
    Doug Allison

3. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Had a set on a trailer. Sit in a covered shed with no sunlight on the tires. 6 years old and sidewalls cracked all to hell..

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The garage I worked at sold Kumho's and they were the cheapest tire that we could buy. It was very, very important to maintain air pressure and never fail to rotate on a regular basis. 30,000 miles is about average on them. We also sold Cooper tires and they were much longer wearing at about 15PCt higher cost. I was told some time ago that they were going to discontinue them. Jackie B.

5. fly

fly Active Member

if you want good long lasting high mileage tires you need to buy Tier 1 tires such as Michelin, Goodyear etc.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I had a set that would never hold air. I only put 15,000 on them and after numerous flats, I bought another brand.

I have owned about every brand out there at one time or another. I've never had good luck with Goodyear myself. I will only buy Michelin, Bridgestone, or BF Goodrich from now on out.

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

All tires are junk, in my opinion. I worked in a shop when I was in high school and you could get 50-60K mile tires and they would last that long. I bought a set of 40K tires for my wife two years ago, 23K and they were junk. They can't sell tires to you if they last a long time!!!

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have Kumho Ecstas on my Corvette...cant say as to the wear factor but all in all very nice riding, quiet and extremely grippy in wet or dry...guess it depends on how much the other factors mean to you besides mileage

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Think Michelin! Thats all I will buy

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew that came with Kumhos as original equipment. It was one of our retired rental vehicles (I drive part-time for Enterprise Car Sales); if they had been new, I would have traded them for Michelins from the get-go. But they lasted 40,000 miles for me and still had 3/32" of tread remaining when I put Michelin Primacy MV4s on the van, so I guess that isn't hateful for a cheap tire. I still wouldn't buy them when so little more money gets you so much more tire.

Ed

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The perform well, BUT don't last very long. Soft rubber. Some of the stated top brands above AND Pirellis are the way to go. Fred

12. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

I deliver auto parts with a ford focus, I got 25.000 miles out of a set.
    I just replaced them with another set of Kumhos last week.
    This time the tires will out last the focus.
    John

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

"Tier 1 tires"? Don't be fooled by advertising more and more expensive commercials don't equate to a better product. What are your needs, what can you afford and what type of vehicle are you driving all play in to a selection. A tire is a product of comprimise if it's built for high milage the traction may not be there etc. As for top line products there are many that fill the bill and deliver a decent amount of tread life, decent traction, and comfort of ride if, taken care of. Proper inflation regular rotation, and suspension maintenance.Again, a tire is a product that is developed to fill specific needs of the customer and will be excellent in a catagory or two and not so well in others.

14. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Had them on my Cadillac STS. Didn't like them at all.