1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are High Ribs Here To Stay?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

Horrible weather so thinking about guns. I understand the advantage of head up shooting, as well as rising trap targets. However lately all of the premium gun manufacturers are coming out w/ skeet and sporting high ribs as well. A move just to sell new guns or is it here to stay? I know that they get given guns, but are any of the top skeet/sporting shooters using the new high ribs? With so many low targets, do you expect bunker shooters to try high ribs. Live birds maybe. Thoughts?
    Mark

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Have you ever seen a Perazzi MX-2008? This is the new generation bunker gun.

<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ecshooter/?action=view&current=mx2008.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I think they are here to stay. Just the next in line of sucessions to make clay target shooting easier. I don't think they'll replace the low rib for hunting guns.

ss

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Wow, you could throw a cat through that thing!

John E.

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can shoot that anywhere but in a crosswind.

5. racer

racer TS Member

No- just a fad..........Dan

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Nose bleed with that rib.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Once everyone has a high rib gun....then they will be back to low ribs or side ribs! Maybe even radar controlled aiming devices for shotguns?

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Y'all can't believe how well balanced and natural pointing one of these is. I was amazed! I don't think there is but a handful of these in the US. I got to shoot one here about 6 months ago.

ss

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I suppose they are. I've never shot a gun with one so I don't know what advantage there is or not.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The MX2005 and MX2008 were designed for Olympic doubles.. While at Kerrville.. I saw a few young shooters shooting a 29.5" 1.51/1.53 KG MX2005.. It really moved..but was built by the factory for the International shooter.. For most American shooters they come thru in the 1.70kg range.. As the targets get faster..a lighter.. more responsive gun is the KING.. Depending on your shooting style.. there is a vast learning curve..

IF you go to the high rib.. it should be all you shoot..as I found.. with me anyway.. it screwed up everything else.. I still like the older MX-8 step rib..

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just like razor blades. Once we had one sharp blade on a side - now we have five. Gotta keep the interest up. Marketing 101.

12. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Well I had an MX 2005 unsingle and if you have ANY trouble at all with canting the gun kiss the target good bye to me the distance between the rib and the barrel is to great I was told that by a two very great shooters and it never sunk in, they are alot heavier some like that some don't my 2005 was front heavy that I didn't like. I am very pleased to be shooting a Devault Infinity now and Denny doesn't have the highest rib on the gun I have that he makes for me I shoot it better then the 2005 the gun fit makes it so comfortable to shoot and this gun swings so smooth like I said before the only thing that's missing is the O/U barrels one day Infinity shooters may get there wish. Pat.k.

13. Guy

Guy Member

You can count on one hand the number of big dogs shooting high ribs. It's just another marketing ploy for shooters that think they can "buy" targets. Let it go.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Gimmick!

Curt

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You better not buy one if you're a "barrel shooter"

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You better have a lot of fingers on that hand.

Don

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am long necked and my old guns had low ribs and low combs. I would use a pad adjuster to drop the toe down to put more pad in my shoulder while keeping my neck from getting cramped up. Now I have a higher rib gun with a pretty high comb and do not use a pad adjuster. It was just two different ways to solve the same fitting issue. I still get beat pretty soundly by an old timer at our club that shoots Model 3200 Remingtons with out stock or rib mods. I have a crisp $20 in my pocket that says if the ATA outlaws high ribs and high combs, the winners circles will have the same names in them as we have now.

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Looks like it to me!

19. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Just one more thing to get dinged in the gun rack

20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Dang puablo, where'd you get my pic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.