1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Glocks safe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

Are glocks safe to carry with shell in chamber and in holster?
    I have heard lots of policemen have been shot with their own gun.

2. shelly

shelly TS Member

Don't believe everything you hear.

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

troll....

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

as with anything..safeness is in the hands of the user

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Make your own mind up.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is the gun i always thought was unsafe especially to carry. It has no trigger guard or safety other than a relatively hard trigger pull.---Matt
    grntitan_2009_2503155.jpg

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Glock are very safe.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

si. safer than a 1911. maybe not as safe as an xp. but how many safeties do you want? i'm not a big fan of glocks for appearances sake. but, if i had to choose only one, it would be a glock. simply for the genius in its design: 33 parts in a glock, 56 in a 1911. looks like 48 on an xp. good luck with it

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Matt; How much do you want for that unsafe gun? I'll buy it. PM me?

On another note:

No gun is safe in the hands of an idiot. There are plenty of guns that are alot worse than Glocks. Relatively speaking I think Glocks are one of, if not THE, safest gun out there.

The reason why,,,, If you don't put your finger or something else in the trigger guard, It can't go off. Period.

Glocks are the simplest guns to use because there is only 3 things you can do with one. 1. insert magazine, 2. rack slide, 3. pull trigger!

I guess you could take it apart too.

People who carry guns should not only know how to use them, but should also practice often. Once a week is not too much, once a month is not often enough.

Gun Handling is a perishable skill, and it goes away quickly. Just ask me?

I haven't been to a pistol class at Front Sight since last March.

I currently SUCK! And my IDPA finishes lately prove it.

Randy

10. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

The glock is a safe handgun have to carry one while on duty.The only time I can remember anyone shooting them selfs was they forgot to take there finger off the trigger when they holstered there weapon or they wanted to shoot them selfs still anything that is man made is not safe it is as safe as you make it

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The good thing about the Glock is, when you pull the trigger, it WILL go bang.

The bad thing about the Glock is, if you pull the trigger, it WILL go bang.

If you practice unsafe gun handling with any firearm, you can have a big problem quickly.

The EIGHT MAGIC WORDS; "On Target, On Trigger. Off Target, Off Trigger."

These guns have three internal safeties, and simply do not fire on their own.

I transitioned to them several years ago for my exclusive training and defensive sidearm. I will test fire student's guns on the range if needed, and have two Magnum revolvers and a target 22 auto I occasionally shoot, but prefer the Glock over ALL other sidearms.

When training, or if in mortal fear, when carrying a sidearm you are unconsciously competent with, there is no conscious thought. The gun appears in the hands, ready to solve the problem or stop an attack.

I will say I probably spend 20 hours a month practicing stoppage reduction drills, drawing with either hand from OC and CC, and regularly shooting strong hand supported, strong hand only, and support hand only (Injured Officer Drills).

Not to mention a week long "Safe Hand gunning Under Stress" course with my Martial Arts Trainer several times a year.

If I am going to "talk the talk" as a trainer, I must be able to "walk the walk".

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I like my Glock 20....15 rounds of 10mm....the thing is like a mini-hand cannon with that 10mm round...and it's safe. As one poster mentioned, the people that shoot themselves with a Glock are looking to commit suicide or are being careless.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I know a guy who shot himself through the hand with a Walther PPKS, which is supposed to be one of the safest auto's around, the guy was an Idiot and could of shot himself with any gun that was in his hand at that given moment ... It was not the guns fault, and usually never is ... I carry a Glock and trust them to the point that I bet my life on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

As several people have said. The Glock police self-shootings you mention are almost always caused during re-holstering. Done either with finger still on trigger, or a shirttail, or jacket bottom catching in the trigger guard while re-holstering.

They WILL fire when the trigger is pressed. That is why many police agencies issue them.

That is why a large number of licensed civilians carry them.

Train with what you carry.

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I keep my clip loaded and in my gun, I dont keep one in the chamber.. I worry too much.. I can bet you that if the circumstance arrises, the sound alone of you shucking one into the chamber might be all it takes..

16. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

As long as you have both hands available to rack the slide.

As was said before, proper (and plenty of) training makes using this or any other firearm safely second nature.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Russ said! We do drills to disable the support hand of an attacker going for a weapon.

If I can get hold of the arm nearest me (typically the hand that will get your empty-chambered gun loaded), then where are you?

While your brain is boiling, trying to come up with PLAN B (you DO have a PLAN B, don't you?), I have a little time to do what I do best up close. I will shut you down.

The untrained person will typically blade their firearm away from a known threat, which makes it a gift to an unknown attacker who may be behind you. We train to blade the firearm toward a known attacker, which blades it AWAY from an unknown threat. If the known threat tries to disarm me, I have trained to remove his ability to prosecute an attack, then turn to resolve any threat behind me.

I NEVER recommend carry with an empty chamber!!!!! (Darwin Award Candidate?)

18. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

"Folks, the damn gun---your gun---will kill you if you let it." Clint Smith

What more do you need to know?

Shoot safe, John

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

There are two unintended discharges that the law enforcement
    community is aware of , not caused by the officer. The first
    was Seattle PD as I recall. The officers were conducting PR-24
    training. One officer struck a holstered Glock with the PR-24
    (night-stick) and the gun discharged. The second I believe
    occured in Iowa. An officer was involved in a high-speed
    collision. Upon impact, the holstered Glock aledgedly
    discharged. A larger problem is the number of unintential
    discharges caused by the user failing to clear the chamber
    belore pulling the trigger during the disassembly process.
    Any time you have to pull the trigger before the slide can
    be removed, your asking for trouble.

20. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

That's why the Springfield XDM firearms don't need to pull the trigger to clean.

Most PD's here issue Sig's or M&P's. Although some departments are finding issues with the M&P's. FTF being the most common complaint.

Keeping your booger hook off the bang switch is the best way to stay safe.

Carry safe....Carry often

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dean speir glock hater