Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are Federal Papers Done For?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  6541 
#1 ·
I have not priced any federal papers in a few years. The best price I can find in southwest MO is around $90 a flat. Now I love the smell of these shells, and the way they shoot as much as anyone but that is simply to high to shoot. I know several trap shooters that are doing very well in regards to money(I'm not one of them) and I can't see a single one of them paying such a price. Will people pay this much for these shells?

#4 ·
It is a shame the prices of things today, lead and fuel, can it get worse or will it get better. In my opinion the federal paper shell is the best that has ever been, and when I shoot them still, they bring back memories of my youth. They still have the same smell and look as they always have. The last time I checked which was a couple monthes ago, they were around 70-75 dollars a case at Graffs reloading in Mexico Mo. The sad part is, shells that were on sale a couple times a year for 29.99 a case are now 50.00 and above. And now since the dollar has fallen so much,Graffs is discontinuing Challenger shells which were from Canada, and I belive another European company, which kept the shell market in check around mid Missouri. I wonder if theres any place left to get a good deal on shells, maybe Walmart will be the next great shell retailer in the nation... Good Luck..... Jason

#5 ·
I dont think Federal wants to make them anymore. In the Federal bldg. at the Grand they had a display which showed how many operations it took to make a paper shell. Not cost effective today with plastic extrusions being simpler and cheaper.

A lot of things we enjoyed are disappearing due to labor costs. Sad but reality.

Priced me out as well but I still think they rank tops.

Like Big M says; Shoot em at the Grand Regards Gerald

#11 ·
Federal has been stating for well over 20 years that they would prefer to discontinue production of the paper shells. They are expensive to make. But, Federal recognizes that these shells do have a limited number of shooters with a strong preference to these shells. This group has so far insured the production of a shell that the manufacturer would like to drop.

Pat Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.