1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are extended choke tubes better?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGBIRD49, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 Member

I am getting back into trap and skeet shooting, and I've noticed many shooters are using extended choke tubes. Are these extended tubes better than the stock tubes that come with the gun, or is just the next new thing?

Dick

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Extended tubes are better for removing with your fingers.

3. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Yes, easy to change and they protect your barrel.

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Extended choke tubes can be easier to remove from the gun, and they protect the muzzle of the gun, but, having shot a lot of both types, I don't see any difference in the shot pattern, my score, the noise, recoil, or anything else of interest or consequence.

However, the two advantages I mentioned are significant. Given the choice (and assuming no substantial increase in cost), I would opt for an extended choke over a flush one.

One disadvantage - an extended choke can occasionally make your barrel too long to fit in its case. I have had this happen, and I wound up removing the choke every time I needed to pack up the gun. Ultimately I wound out putting the choke in a drawer, and it's still there.

Ted K.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good answers above.

No, there is not conclusive evidence that they pattern any better than flush chokes, despite the marketing hype.

Plus, its alittle easier to tell what choke you have in.

6. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

In my opinion it's easier to replace a $50 choke tube if you are careless with your gun or have a brain fart.

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

And besides, it gets ya closer to the target.

GneJ

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The get you closer to the target

nuff said?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I started shooting a fixed choke barrel and realized I'm not tightening the
    chokes every few shots like I do with my extended choke barrel. If you don't
    need to change chokes during the round like sporting clay shooters, I'd get
    flush chokes. They don't come loose like extended chokes.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Aside from the ease of removal and protecting the end of the barrel (which is important to me in a field gun), one reason I prefer them is for very tight chokes, like turkey chokes. The constriction is past the threads and the muzzle, and the choke can be made thicker there.

11. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

My experience with flush chokes is that they come loose just as often as extended chokes. Your mileage may vary, but I am really doubtful that flush chokes have this advantage over extended chokes.

Maybe there is this advantage - it's a little easier to see when a flush choke has loosened enough to extend past the muzzle, whereas an extended choke won't give you this clue. FWIW, I don't think this is much of an advantage.

Ted K.

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

For Sporting it make life easier in my opinion. In my trap guns I'm not really changing chokes very often. An extended Light Full is in my BT-99, my Citori Trap has a flush modified and imp. mod., they get removed for cleaning.

All the above suggestions make sense to me but, I don't have issue with my factory flush tubes either.

13. MTLongshot

MTLongshot Member

Ive done extesive test wit comp...... they strip the wad and pattern better

14. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

MTLongshot, can you decipher your reply so it makes sense to me. What exactly does extensive (spelled correctly) test wit comp mean?

What does strip the wad better imply or mean exactly? And do you mean that all extended chokes pattern better (define better) than standard flush tubes?

You have to do better than your initial reply so those of us interested in this subject can understand your comments....thanks

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I couldn't say if there is any difference. However I do think there is a difference of POI from one choke to another with the same constriction. I have had several chokes and found that from one choke to the next each had a different POI. I just happened to find an extended choke that the POI was to my satisification. To bad the choke makers wouldn't let you try them out first on a pattern board. I do no that a choke can be made to bring a pattern to any direction needed. So when you by a choke from a smith with a big selection in a showcase you are just taking a chance where the POI will be. Then the next thing you are changing your stock in all different directions. I think a choke should be made just like you have a custom stock made. Stock made to fit, choke made to hit where your stock has you looking.
    I like to dream. Wild Bill

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dick, If both flush and ext. chokes are quality made then there "should" be little difference between them. Now if the Flush chokes were not made to the same close spec's as most of the better ext. chokes then there could be a difference in pattern or POI. So Pattern your gun with your Flush chokes in them. If you like the patterns you are getting and the POI (point of impact) is good, why change??? Also do you need to change chokes often??? Good Luck and break em all Jeff

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Gary,

<i>"The extended chokes usually offer a longer parallel section that is supposed to improve patterns.</i>

Yes, that's what they say.

On the other hand, they never provide any proof of that claim.

Plus, in the UK there is a very highly regarded choke tube called Teague that has no, zero, not a bit of parallel section. Their chokes are tapered all the way to the end. And lots of folks think they are the best choke tubes in the world.

Their website spews the same marketing nonsense the other ones do:

"Teague Tapered Technology means that the taper to the choke is the full length of the tube which has proven advantages over lesser designs as the shot is smoothly constricted over a longer period.

Giving:

Less recoil.<br>
    Less deformed pellets.<br>
    Greater pattern concistency.<br>
    Greater maintained velocity."

Its ALL marketing hype, whether it comes from Briley, Teague, or whomever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are extended choke tubes better

are extended choke tubes better than flush chokes
are extended chokes better than flush chokes
do extended chokes pattern better than flush
extented choke tubes better then flush