1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are chokes really important?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I have had interesting discussions on this with other shooters. Are choke quality and quantity really important for most shooters? Aside from 27 yard experts, pro shooters and turkey hunters, wouldnt 2 skeets, a mod and a full choke be sufficient for shooting applications? Is a 50 or 75$ full choke going to get you more birds than the one that came with the gun? I see big money spent and wonder if it isn't better spent on a practice with a partner to watch you a. keep cheek on stock, b. watch bird c. keep gun moving! Cheers! RICH

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yes, chokes are important, but price is not the key. Chokes that are machined concentric, have properly dimensioned skirts and a good configuration are worth a lot more than many factory chokes.

If I were to buy a set of 3 or 4 chokes from Briley or Wrights, I can be 99% sure that they will all shoot to the same POI. If I bought 3 or 4 chokes from Beretta or Browning- not a chance they would all shoot to the same POI.

BTW, in your set above, I'd find it very difficult to get buy without an LM and IM. For upland hunting, I find the LS/LM, IS/M and LM/IM pairings to be very useful for a 20b.

3. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Chokes are absolutely important. I've seen factory chokes from two different Caesar Geurini's put out football shaped patterns. I'm not saying all Guerini chokes do, nor that any other brand couldn't have a problem like that, it just happens that these are the only chokes I've experienced with this condition. In both cases the owners replaced them with Briley tubes.

Recently heard of a friend that had an extended aluminum choke snap off at the end of the barrel while shooting.

Once you've spent thousands of dollars on a trap gun, or any other shotgun, the cost of the choke is rather insignificant anyway. It all depends on what you're after in a trap gun.

The fundamentals that you reference need to happen regardless of the choke you use. Once the fundamentals are solid, the choke can make or break your game.

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Are chokes really important?

Hmmmm! Let's see.....

Are roll bars important? Is radar important to a pilot? Are windshield wipers important? Seat belts? What about tires with lots of tread?

No. Not if you're exactly on your game while under "magic" conditions.

Mike

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

One thing a choke of any kind will do is give you more confidence when you use it. If you shoot a good round with it it will always be in the back of your mind that is the choke that works best.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO one should ask that question till they spend some time at the pattern board.

HM

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try taking your choke out and hitting a few targets. I forgot to install a choke one time, shot a few rounds and couldn't hit anything. I though I was in a nightmare until I discovered I had not put a choke in the gun.

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

"NO one should ask that question till they spend some time at the pattern board.

HM"

or answer...
    DJU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.