1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Cheddite & Win. primers interchangeable

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT99Max100, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

Will the Win209 fit? I have many hulls with a cheddite primer, is there any problems switching to a win209 primer? Thanks

John

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Should not be a problem. But, there is a little difference in the configuration of the primer. I think the Winchester has a step and the Cheddites are straight wall.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I can't go from Fiocchis to Winchesters, because the slightly larger Fiocchis have stretched the primer pocket. I don't shoot Cheddites, but that might be an issue. Mark

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I once emailed Alliant with that question. The answer I got was to subtract 1/2 grain from recipes with Winchester primers since the Cheddites are slightly hotter. That's really close to them being interchangeable.

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

In my experience, you can go from Win209's to Cheddites. You can't go from Cheddites to Win209's, due to the primer pocket being stretched a little. They will fit, but loosely. In the powder drop, I have lost the primer and powder.

Jerbear

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Years ago called Alliant and they said yes. Loading Chedites now for several years with NO variation in formula. Works great costs lot less. Fred

7. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Check out this chart for sizes published a few month / Years ago about the size's of Primers
    [​IMG]

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Several years back Winchester changed the form of their 209 primers. Was that an improvement over the old type or just wanting you to use their primers only? Recent (so-called) improvements by Winchester is questionable to say the least. When I load my old Win.209s in the new hull, my loader must use the same amount of force as priming with the Cheddites!

Hap

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I could be wrong,but I think the chart above is out dated. I have gone from Winchester to Cheddite and back as well as Remington primers in the mix there somewhere to. The only problem that I have had was with Rio hulls that the primer pocket was so big the primers would fall back out.

Jim Bradbury

10. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

I agree with Jim. Some boxes say 209 type and some say 209 size. You want to be careful especially in a auto loader. get 209 size. In my experience, there is no problem interchanging cheddit and winchester. Just my two cents worth. ron piro

11. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

I agree with Jim. Some boxes say 209 type and some say 209 size. You want to be careful especially in a auto loader. get 209 size. In my experience, there is no problem interchanging cheddit and winchester. Just my two cents worth. ron piro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sizes and sizes primers

209 primer

are cheddite primers interchangeable with winchester 209 primers

cheddite primers interchange

will wonchester 209 primers fit chedit hulls