1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are camo attire or guns allowed for ATA shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diamond Bruce, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

A boy I know who is shooting in the youth ATA events and will be shooting at the Grand was told he could NOT wear a camo shooting vest or shoot his camo gun because ATA rules prohibit it. Has anyone heard of this rule? He cannot afford a new gun and he paid a lot for it.
    By the way - the camo on his gun is actually cattails.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Absolutely no rule against either.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

As long as he doesn't camo paint his face,,,,,he should be ok....; )

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

You're allowed to read the Rule Book.

5. Fish Springs

Fish Springs Member

I did not find prohibitions of camouflage nor did find a dress code. Likely some buddy ruddy having a bad day.

6. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

I went through the rule book and I saw nothing on any type of dress code. Since this is for the youth league, I thought I would ask - perhaps there was some new code of standards. I do not understand why the person in charge would tell that to a new, young member and he was very upset about it. He was told camo gear was disrespectful to other members and would make people think he was military. I wish I could tell him to go to another group, but there aren't any other ones in this area.

7. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I would think military gear would make people think you were in the military? Camo gear makes me think someone is a hunter. Go figure.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just don't paint the camo on your nude body and shoot neked. There are some cat tails on the grounds so don't put that shotgun down............you may never find it again! {;o)

9. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Now sometimes I might wear my camo thongs but no one really knows.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

There is always somebody who is a "self appointed" rule reciter that never read a rule book in their LIFE! Years ago I was at an ATA shoot There was a guy shooting an 870 with a "Poly Choke". Some old dude told him "Poly Chokes" were "prohibited" by ATA rules and he couldn't shoot it. I told the old guy I would bet him a hundred bucks that wasn't in the rule book! He said FINE he would show me. Funny thing is, he left and never showed back up!

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'd be in trouble if that were the rule!

Guy B.

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

The only dress code I know of is in the SCTP (Scholastic Clay Target Program) Shooters must shoot in shirts with sleevs, short sleeve shirts are fine, tank-tops or sleeveless "muscle" shirts are not. No open-toed shoes or sandals, shorts must be longer than fingertips when arms and hands are held at the shooters sides, toe-pads or resting a gun on one's foot is also prohibited.

Hope this helps, BBB

13. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Most interesting thread.

Perhaps it is time the ATA takes a look at cross-dressing before it becomes an issue. I expect more "exposure" for this issue at the Cardinal Center after the "grudge match" takes place and the loser puts on a dress.

Rumor has it that Longshot has the legs for it so this issue may be moot.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Only for Rednecks.....

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Camp gear is frowned upon here in Australia at the trap range, not sure if it's banned but the officials think it gives the general public the impressions that trapshooters are gun mad rambo's!

16. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

Camo is legal in ata....it is not however in the events governed by ISSF which is the olympic events

17. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Several shooters at clubs I shoot at, shoot their camo hunting guns and I am glad to see them on the line. They are at least participating

Oscar

18. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Sometimes, looking down the lines in the Summer, I wish there was a dress code. I would like to see a rule where men over 170 lbs, must have their torso covered down to and including the waist, preferably the shirt tucked into the pants.

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

At last year's Grand in Sparta, I watched a competitor who was shirtless and barefoot with bib-overalls but he has a nicely well-worn straw hat. He was shooting just fine. I was kinda hoping he got into the $100K shoot-off and be on TV. That said, shooting attire these days is quite different than that seen in the old-timey photos posted on here...suits, white shirts, ties and three-piece suits. So, camo guns and shirts should be just fine. Regards...and watch out for the fashion police. Ed

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You might try asking him to show you that rule. As said above, no ATA rule against it but his youth league may have a rule about it but I doubt it. He should be able to shoot what he has. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.