1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Browning Recoiless Considered substandard?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I shot one of the Browning Recoiless Trap guns a few rounds last year on the 16 yard line. Only 5 or 6 shots, but the memory of the astounding "lack" of recoil keeps comming back...especially after I bruise my cheek by holdong loose on the comb of my present fitted trap gun.

I don't remember seeing "anyone" whom I consider a good shooter using one of these guns. Especially from the back line.

Five or six shots is all I have to go on ...but from the 16, the gun shot itself practically. Hard breaks and recoiled like a 28 gauge with no conscious effort. Point it at the right zip code a pull the trigger...

New gun syndrome? Yeah maybe...but the "NO" recoil was really cool.

So..I'm just wondering if anyone has shelved all the other Trap guns they have tried and settled on a Browning Recoiless...or are they just considered a gimicky substandard experiment. (ie: the Edsel of Browning shot guns...?)

...and if anyone "has" used the Recoiless as their primary gun, especially from yardage...was it reliable or problematic.

Thanks..Stan

2. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I tried one for about a month. Biggest problem I had was the lock time could be measured with a calendar. Went back to my 3200.
    pg

3. StansCustoms

What yardage did you shoot from mostly, Trapper?

..and to show my ignorance...what is "lock time"? Something o/u 's don't have I'm guessing..?

Anyone else care to comment..?

Thanks Stan..

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I used one for about a year. Broke my first "100 straight" with it as I recall. Mine had the 27 inch barrel (which was plenty long when combined with the receiver).

I never had a failure to fire or any malfunctions with mine. I never recall any issue with "locktime". I eventually decided I liked my XT better, and since the recoilless just sat in the safe, I sold it.

bluedsteel

5. StansCustoms

Thanks blued steel..

I have a Browning XT as well..and love the way it shoots (except for the cheek brusing).

Did you shoot much handicap with your 27" Recoiless..? Would the 30" be better for yardage maybe?

Thanks..Stan

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The lock time is hideous.

If you started out with one, it should be no problem. I know several guys in our club who shot one temporarily due to having surgery.

None of them kept shooting the recolless.

HM

7. StansCustoms

10-4 HM..

Again...what is lock time??

Thanks..Stan

8. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

It's the time between you pulling the trigger and the gun going boom. It's basically milliseconds but if you get use to one guns lock time and switch you might tell a slight difference but most of it is just people over thinking things.

9. StansCustoms

Thanks Aulove15...

Wow..noticeable time between the actual firing and trigger pull!

I guess I just wasn't paying attention on the very few shots I test fired one...I missed the "lock time" part altogether.

Thanks for the clarification..

Stan...

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Stan,
    Don't be mislead by the comments about locktime.
    It's only noticeable if you're used to a faster locktime. It's not noticeable if you shoot that gun and it won't affect your shooting-even at 27 yards.The Winchester model 12 had a relatively slow locktime, and it was the most successful trap gun of all time. You may have just found the perfect gun for you. The gun is selling for around $700 now and that is a bargain.
    You should try to get the 27" barrel, not the 30" if you can.

11. StansCustoms

Thanks Dickgtax..

Question though...I'm wondering about the 27" vs the 30". A lot of handicap shooters shoot 34" guns. Seems like the Recoilless in a 30" would be about like a 34"...

You are the second poster that liked the 27" length better... Is this a balance thing...or does it just feel awkardly long or something with the 30" barrel plus the Recoilless receiver?

I can shoot about anything well on the 16...but I'm trying to learn how to shoot better on the back yardage, and I'm not near as good back there, right now. I'm blaming a lot of that on cheek bruising...and that's what I need this gun for.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion...just trying to determine/be clear about why others recommend the 27' over the 30".....and explain what yardage I'm considering it's use for.

Unfortunately...I don't have the option of testing either to help me choose.

I think I might try a decent, affordable one... if any one had one for sale. (translate decent= clean or pretty slick, no rough guns).

Thanks ...Stan

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

yes substandard

trigger- worse than an H&R Pardners

Swings like a bathtub

reliability with reloads

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. StansCustoms

Hello Gene..thanks for the input.

I take it you don't care for them ..right?...LOL.

They do look cheezy dont they..but Browning was still a Browning back then...so I thought I'd ask around.

About the only thing I don't worry about is my reloads...they are as good as anything I can buy...in fact I like them better.

Best regards..Stan

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They have the lease recoil of any gun ever made. If you know no better (in your case) the lock time is irrelevant. There is nothing wrong with the gun. Go for it. To each his own. If I could break 100 straight from the 27 with a Marlin bolt action goose gun, that's what I'd be shooting.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I never thought hey looked cheesey..very innovative but just not cutting edge on the traits top shooters demand...I owned a 30" I took on trade for a while..very muzzle heavy...split two forearms..and yes the locktime was pretty slow compared to the Beretta ASE90 I was shooting ...It was a useable backup gun and loaner but was such a drastic changeup I was happy I found it a loving home with a fellow at my old club..I think he moved on after a season too..he had a breakdown and getting them serviced was a nightmare

16. BillJ

BillJ Member

I have had one for years but don't shoot it a lot. I always used it for Meat Shoots, where high brass shootoff's were a norm. No recoil. I have a 30" with a release trigger and it does swing a bit slow, but smooth. They have not been made for some time and parts might be a concern, although I have never had a problem yet. I did try to get away with using it last year when our small club had a 'pump gun' night, as you have to pump it up to get it started, but I was out voted, so used my M12 instead. Have fun, shoot what fits.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Dont worry about Gene, he only likes his own guns. Locktime is quite important to me. I never thought much about it until I got this 90T. It has the snoothest and fastest locktime of any gun I have ever shot and now I doubt I would be happy with a slower locktime. It has made a big difference in my shooting

18. ABH

ABH Member

Hi Stan,
    Why is your XT slapping you in the cheek? I would think about maybe changing the pitch of my stock if I were you. If you have a good stock fitter in your area, maybe you should pay him a visit. If he's worth his salt, you'll be shooting handicap loads all day with no ill effects. ART H.

19. johnboy

johnboy Member

I shot a friend's several years ago during a round of trap and the thing I remember was the trigger. Some flintlocks have have a faster lock time than the recoiless. If recoil reduction is what you want, it will do that. I suppose one could adjust to the trigger. Trap shooting great Frank Little said that lock time was one of the most over hyped things in shooting but I doubt he had shot the Browning recoiless.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Stanscustoms I bought one when it first came out, it did shoot high enough for me but it had so many things against it, it did not feel comfortable, front end heavy, lock time was vert slow from the time you pulled the trigger and for the weighted firing pin to set shell off.

I would never own another one unless I got it free.

It was evident as sales were terrible, Browning quit making them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.