1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are all Union Members this stupid?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Bruce Specht, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm a high School teacher, in the applied arts department. School is starting for us on the 8th of September this year. Our dept. had a meeting the other day to discuss the upcomming school year. One of my peers, a part time teacher was whining like a stuck pig because our administration has asked all faculty to take a two hr training session on new school wide grading and attnedance software. We have been given several options for the training including staying two hrs after the conclusion of our first all faculty meeting which would mean a 5 hour long day with breaks. There is no offer of being paid for the two hr session. This software will make all our jobs easier. People all over the country are loosing jobs , taking pay cuts and this woman wants to be paid for learning some thing new! What happened to having a work ethic? This woman does nothing but whine about everything. Can some one explain the logic of her attitude?

2. white rattler

white rattler Member

I do not think that it is a Union thing. She is just a Bitch! Trevor Dawe

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Chris just hit the nail on the head dead center. Lazy people give union members BAD names. And lazy people seem to always bow to their union leaders whims on voting. Some paople just never get it and never will.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I don't know about all union members, but if you question was - are all government workers this stupid? Then the answere would be - yes.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bruce: I agree with your point. Unions, like most things, have their good and bad sides.

But Yo, Teach', your post has at least seven punctuation and spelling errors! Quick, edit them out before anyone sees them ;)

-Gary

6. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

Hey Bruce, As a so called teacher maybe you should have been more attentive in spelling class. Charlie

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm with OneidCharlie..........I sure hope you don't teach spelling.

Or maybe the question should be........Are all teachers this dumb that they can't spell?

I know that they are not dumb, but what I'm trying to get you to see is........you cannot judge a group by one person's actions.

My apologies to all the teachers who might read my post, I was just trying to make point with the original poster. I know most of you can spell....lol lol

Hauxfan!

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

IMHO union members are hard working professional workers, in most cases. Union leaders, on the other hand are professional stink disturbers who make money creating, exacerbateing conditions and promoting self importance. The problem really comes to a head when hard working union members let themselves be lead by the nose into situations that are win-loose. IMHO again, union leaders pay the liberals for their support...support which has lead many a union to the slaughter and unfortunately our auto industry to the dump.

JON

9. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I'm not sure I agree with unions now, but my grandfather was a pipefitter and always worked union. He traveled around building mostly military bases. The company I work for now is anti union and has classes with "propeganda" about unions. Some of this, according to my grandfather, is false. My point is that there are hard working people on both sides and believe that the corruption is at a greater level than the average worker. That being said, I expect to be paid for what I do. A good friend told me he'd had all the practice and fun he needed this was for real and for money.
    Jimmy

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The very word "Union" seems to get certain individuals foaming at the mouth.

Seems to me like this was happening years ago only the word began with "N".

The question should be "Are all Union Bashers this stupid?"

Some good replies here. York & Jon are on the right track.

As a 30 Plus IBEW guy, Conservative, and many times Libertarian voter, No one ever got my money for political donations and damn sure not my vote.

But a hell of a lot of people sleep securely in houses with safe wiring done by Union workers.

Funny how most of the anti folks never worked union. They want to go it alone. This makes them easy prey when the time comes.

HM

11. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Middle class can thank the unions for their status.

Take care,

Jim

12. Fathawk

Fathawk TS Member

Unions have thier place. There are many environments where unions represent the worker in order for them to get fair treatment. Unfortunately there are those that take advantage and use thier union membership as a "license to be lazy".

The whole system needs a little pride, unfortunately for the honest and hard working union guys, the bad apples spoil the buch. I feel for you guys, but unfortunately the bad apples always seem to be the most vocal.

Maybe you should corral them.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Bisi.. I am a government employee that just happens to belong to a union. The people that I work with, rural mail carriers, give their all to get it right every single day. I mean above and beyond what is called for in the contract and our training manual. I would challenge anyone in any other craft or union to compare our work ethic to theirs. And despite their so called lack of education, these people are very well read and informed. To call government workers, as a whole, "stupid" shows a wealth of ignorance on your part.
    Bill in MI

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I worked for two companies who went union. All I can say is that when the union took over, our benefits were negotiated rather than passed by the legislature (state worker). It still depended on whose bread was buttered on who got what as far as benefits. One thing it did for sure was enable about 15% of the work force to keep a job when they we they would have been fired had they been non-union. That really is my only complaint with them, but it always was a major source of concern for the rest of the workers who for the most part were willing to go the extra mile for the company with no questions asked. It really got under the skin of lots of workers when the slackers who couldn't even get to work on time regularly got the same pay raises as those who actually did what was required of them without whining. Plus the minority quotas wee a bit hard to swallow as well. when they were not qualified for the positions but got them anyway.

15. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

bruce you seem very narrow minded.... im glad your are not teaching my children.

16. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Maybe insert teachers instead of union members. See how it feels, there is and was a lot of good in the unions. I'm not saying they are perfect but we have a lot to be thankful for. You have a lot of people that will take advantage of any system. It takes 2 sides to make a contract and live up to it. Yes I was a union worker. UAW Ken

17. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Seems like some people want to be paid for all their time. I wonder how much she would have complained when told to take a course and pass a test so she could work on structural steel and of course get and carry a certificate card to prove that you did take the course? Or how about sitting for 30 hours taking a "30" Hour OSHA course so we would be versed on all the new safety rules for working construction? We do not get paid to take those upgrades and neither do we get paid to upgrade our knowledge of techniques in construction that for the first time in my career now one has to be a card carrying member to get a job that covers the work. i.e. being able to work on the "rocket science of post tensioning of concrete"? Welding certain metals and being certified to do so. There are many things that we as construction union members do on our own time to get the upgrades to our crafts and none of us get paid to take those courses. Now the government wants' at least one man on each job to know and carry a certificate of CPR. That's a good deal isn't it? They mandate it but supply zero funds to pay the instructors and supply materials to train us. We buy it all and if you don't want to know CPR or prove you've known it since Boy Scouts they won't take your word for it, you will have to take the course again. All this is done on our dime. Not the contractors or the governments. Not all unions members are so selfish. We have had to improve ourselves for the past 30 years and it's all on us not anyone else. Bruce you surley know very little of the workings of a union or you would not have brought up this tread. Dan

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I am a union member, and know that they are good people, but our union at school has people in it that think they are owed everything. This woman is one example. I understand that as I said 99% or union employees want nothing more that a fair shake. I'm just amazed at the attitude of someof htese people over a lousy two hour training session that will make their jobs far easier.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wisconsin's teacher's union is a bloated self serving organization with no regard for common sense. They put a black eye on all the fine union people who actually believe in giving a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

The problem here is that there is no competitive thrust to the work place. You can't (not easily, anyway) get your kids to a different suplier very easily.

At least Chrome Dome Doyle is going to leave, but it will take years to undo all the damage he has done. His kingdom building tactics have made this a tax hell state with few equals.

HM

20. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

This Union member sure isn't. I vote my own way,no matter what the Union says.Those of us in the Building Trades Unions are still giving a fair days work for a fair days wage.

BTW, I'm glad that my kids are out of school because of teachers like the one Bruce mentioned.

Larry SMWIA Local 73(Chicago, Cook and Lake counties, Ill.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.