1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are all ATA shooters amateurs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfee, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I was just curious what the criteria for being a professional trapshooter would be. I personally am nowhere near being one, and probably will never be. I was just curious with all of the sponsorships and instructional videos, if some of these guys are actually professionals. Not trying to stir anything up, just curious.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

There is none!

Curt

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

To be a professional Trapshooter you must start with $1,000,000. When you finish being a Professional Trapshooter, you will have used up your $1,000,000.

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Good Question, but here is another one that I am sure will generate some comments, Question is ::: whay ever happened to the INDUSTRY CLASS I can remember back when there was a Industry Class ( which was suppose to be as I remember anyone that was in the Firearms, Ammunition or related Industries, of which I would think DVD's,,, Instructional Videos, Lesson Givers, those who give classes, or anybody that makes Money from the Sport....

Lets hear the comments.....

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A good question; what constitutes a professional? I believe the definition of a professional is any person who earns an income (not necessarily a living) from the activity in which he (or she) participates. Thus, if you give trapshooting lessons you are a trapshooting professional, etc.

However, that being said everythjing has changes since the days of Jim Thorpe. Even the Olympics now allow professionals; baseball, basketball, etc..

6. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

Amateurs are shooters that shoot for themselves pros shoot for someone else so if you shoot pro someone else pays for your events and entries and you get a part of the winings and none of the lossing. So how would this work in trap? Jim Henry

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I wish Tiger was playing golf for me.

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I believe the IRS would define a trap shooter as a 'professional' (read: taxable) if the purpose of the trap shooting had a 'profit motive'. One would not necessarily have to make a profit as long as there was clear and undeniable proof that one was truly ATTEMPTING to make a profit. This means, as an example, allocating financial resources to a business or marketing plan involving the generation of revenues and offsetting expenses.

I'm not saying that it would be easy to convince the IRS that you were a 'professional' trap shooter, but that's the major hurdle you'd have to jump over.

LA

9. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

BigBore, "Wallowing for years at 95%" does not make me a Pro. I am not even a good amateur.........LOL.......Roger

10. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I am glad this didn't start a war. I just thought it seemed as though a few shooters where sponsored by some pretty big companies, and that didn't seem amateur. After all it is called the Amateur Trap Association. But in all reality there probably isn't enough of the elite to form a Professional Trap Association.

11. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

OK, we are going to have a spring league at our club, and the prizes will be money, is that a problem for Junior shooters to collect money winnings??

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

If a company gives you shells, and or a gun to shoot, and or pays you to wear their logon (aka see NASCAR) you’re a PROFESSIONAL…or if your entry fee is paid by a company/corporation YOU’RE A PROFESSIONAL…if your just a yahoo who put a decal on the barrel, or like the cap, shirt, side-blinders, you’re a wantabe PROESSIONAL…Leave the Olympics out of the mess for now, do you think that somebody paid to shoot and is paid to do this every day and has no expensive is a professional, then what about the US military shooting teams….Do you really thing GOODYEAR tire & rubber gives those tires to the average diver/team !!!....Grubby...I'm wearing NOMEX, flame on....

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

This used to be the definition:
    The Interstate Association rule book called "Trapshooting-The Patriotic Sport" dated around 1918. The Interstate, made up of manufacturers, ran the game until the American Trapshooting Association and the Amateur Trapshooting Association took over. Anyway it includes the following: The following rules defining an amateur and professional in trapshooting, prepared several years ago by the tournament committee of the Interstate Association, were adopted: Amateur,-Any shooter not dependent upon his skill as a trapshot as a means of livelihood, either directly or indirectly, or in part or whole, including employes or manufacturers of, or dealers in, firearms, ammunition, powder, traps, targets and other trapshooting accessories, and who does not receive any compensation or concession, monetary or otherwise, or allowance for expenses or trapshooting supplies from such manufacturers or dealers, shall be classed as an amateur. Professional,-Any shooter, including employes or manufacturers of, or dealers in, firearms, ammunition, powder, targets, traps and other trapshooting accesories, who receives his salary or any portion of his salary, or any expenses of any kind for use in trapshooting, or rebate on the market price of such articles, as compensation for the promotion of the sale or advertisement of any such products handled by such manufacturers, shall be classed as a professional.

14. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

OK, the definitions perga1 listed sound good, but what do they mean to us today? Not much. We don't differentiate between amateur and professional today.

However, I would like to go back to the "industry" notation mentioned above. I've looked through old average books to see my parents' averages and saw this notation. What did it mean? We there special rules for industry shooters? Were they eligible for special trophies? Or perhaps disqualified for some trophies because they were classified as industry?

I'm interested in the history of this class. Anyone been around long enough who may be able shed some light?

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My opinion is you're not an amateur if you win money.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Browning Gal, as I recall yes there were special trophies atleast at the Grand in all events. Also the HOA and HAA. As for state shoots, it depended upon the individual state but most that I was familiar with had them atleast in the championship events. An industry classified person was eliminated for championship trophies that the majority competed for and this included the Grand. They were also not allowed to play options in reg. events.

17. nipper

nipper TS Member

i dont advertise for anyone for anything, i even make a car dealership remove their name off a car i buy. if i were to get payed then its a new ball game.

bill

18. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

First - Most of the people who post on TS do not shoot ATA targets therefore opinions don't matter.
    Second - Most ATA shooters register less than 1,200 targets per year.
    Third - most of the ATA targets are shot by less than 5,000 people (the number is actually much smaller than that, I am just too lazy to look it up).

My point is that until you get more ATA participation - it really doesn't matter and any poll conducted here on TS needs to be flushed because very few here shoot registered targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.