1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are adjustable ribs necessary?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

If you have an adjustable comb why does one need an adjustable rib? Just trying to educate myself.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

So you can stack the beads. In other words, so you can get a desired sight picture. HMB

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

The answer is it depends. If your fixed rib shoots 60/40(beads stacked) and you want to go to 80/20..no problem..Just jack up the comb.
    If your fixed rib shoots 80/20(beads stacked) and you want to go to 60/40 you are screwed.Personally I do not like adjustable ribs...SMOKIT

4. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I need help with this also. HMB What you are saying is once you get the desired pattern on the pattern board you can adjust the beads back to where you do not have any rib showing is that correct? if you do not have an adjustable bead could you just add an removable bead between the front and the middle bead and stack the middle bead on the added one?

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you require a high shooting point of impact you can order a new gun (Alfermann for example) with a 90/10 rib. Same with Seitz or others. But most fixed rib guns don't shoot that high out of the box (Beretta, Remington, Winchester etc.)

So you put an adjustable comb on your stock and then there's large gap between the beads. For me it was hard to shoot consistantly that way on handicap. Now my doubles gun has an adjustable rib too. It also lets you tune your POI on that particulair gun.

You just got learn to quit fiddle'n with the adjustments!

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"You just got learn to quit fiddle'n with the adjustments!"

Setterman,

That took me almost a whole year to figure out. I'm a slow learner. LOL :)

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

In addition, if you want to change point of impact _without_ moving the comb, a rib that adjusts vertically at the front will allow you to do that.

Many geometry-challenged folks here will try to tell you it can't be done, but it's true.

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Like an adjustable comb.; get it set to shoot where you look and leave it alone.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Necessary" is an interesting word.

Trap shooters broke 400, 500, 600-straights before adjustable ribs or adjustable combs became available, so it's a bit of a stretch to say they're "necessary." The same could be said about choke tubes, recoil reducers, 34" barrels, etc.

But if you're trying to solve a problem and can't find the right gun to meet your need, these feautures can be awfully CONVENIENT. I recently toyed with the idea of an adjustable rib because I wanted a more heads-up shooting posture but I don't like having a big gap between the beads as one often gets by merely raising the comb.

For inexperienced shooters without good supervision, adjustability can also be very DISTRACTING and COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. For example, how many of us have seen an inexperienced shooter come off the line after getting a 17 instead of their usual 19 and then start fiddling around with the choke tubes, the comb, the fiber optic sights, and everything else he can think to blame? To some degree, we've all probably been guilty of that at some point. Frankly, I still dabble in it occasionally myself, albeit very carefully and one variable at a time.

The key is to remember that a shooter can have all the adjustability in the world but eventually they still need to learn how to see the target and point the gun right. Like people said, set things up where they feel right and leave them alone.

-Gary

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have only shot with adjustable ribs and wouldn't have it any other way. I cant think of one "high end" trap gun that doesn't have one. That should tell you something.

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Not good for starting shooters and not needed or wanted by expert shooters; one more thing to go wrong on your gun. My adjustments are glued permanently in place. AJ.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Again, if you can find (or afford to build) a gun that fits you perfectly then of course you don't need anything to be adjustable. Sometimes that's hard, especially if you're far from "average" body type or expect to keep your gun through aging and weight gain/loss.

-Gary

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The only people that don't like adjustable ribs are head cases that can't stop themselves from fiddling with their gun. Some guns just plain don't come with them, often shooters of these guns state that they are unnecessary because their guns don't come with them. Likewise, owners of adjustable ribs (who like them) will do the same to justify their purchase.

It is a personal thing. If you don't like seeing a lot of rib, or you shoot different sports with the same gun, it is nice to be able to adjust it. For example, you can shoot ATA with a high POI and then go shoot sporting or bunker with a low POI and have the exact same sight picture. That is one reason for an adjustable rib/comb. And yes, they are supposed to work together, raising the comb and the rib at the same time. YMMV.

14. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

In case you missed it, here it is again. As clear, concise and correct as you'll ever read...

"Necessary" is an interesting word.

Trap shooters broke 400, 500, 600-straights before adjustable ribs or adjustable combs became available, so it's a bit of a stretch to say they're "necessary." The same could be said about choke tubes, recoil reducers, 34" barrels, etc.

But if you're trying to solve a problem and can't find the right gun to meet your need, these feautures can be awfully CONVENIENT. I recently toyed with the idea of an adjustable rib because I wanted a more heads-up shooting posture but I don't like having a big gap between the beads as one often gets by merely raising the comb.

For inexperienced shooters without good supervision, adjustability can also be very DISTRACTING and COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. For example, how many of us have seen an inexperienced shooter come off the line after getting a 17 instead of their usual 19 and then start fiddling around with the choke tubes, the comb, the fiber optic sights, and everything else he can think to blame? To some degree, we've all probably been guilty of that at some point. Frankly, I still dabble in it occasionally myself, albeit very carefully and one variable at a time.

The key is to remember that a shooter can have all the adjustability in the world but eventually they still need to learn how to see the target and point the gun right. Like people said, set things up where they feel right and leave them alone.

-Gary

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Personally I don't find adj. rib useful, as I only see the front bead next to target when I shoot.

I have pigeon guns that has 3/8"~1/2" between the two beads, the bottom barrel shoots 12" high at 25 yards. I don't see rib when I pull the trigger, I only see bird.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

sorry Buzz Gun, your example only holds water if you aim off the front bead.

Most of the rest of us don't .

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like them because of it allowing total tunability..for POI and sight picture...thats why the 99+ was always what I came back to ...as a person whose body weight always yoyo'd up and down...I was always able to get everything back just the way I liked when my body changed shape

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

No. Adjustable ribs are totally unnecessary - as are over-under shotguns, 30, 32 and 34" barrels, sdjustable combs, recoil absorbsorption systems and DeCot Hi-Wyd shooting glasses.

Seriously,
    Clay target shooting sports are molded by a time-march of progressively better and better designed equipment. (What sport isn't?) Otherwise, we'd still be shooting Model 21's and Ithaca single-barrels.

Sometimes some of these changes turn out to be gimmicks, to sell more guns or gunsmithing services. However, many of the new ideas are good ones and they prove themselves over time...... which is precisely the point I wish to make.

Only time will tell.....

Mike

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

When you go to sell old Betsy, it will definitely move faster if it has an adjustable rib (it might bring a higher price). If you are trading old Betsy, you will get dinged if she is a fixed rib model.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Maybe "necessary" because stock builders and stock fitters are become fewer and far between...we are in a world more of CNC, CAD-CAM, comuputer controlled this and that. Not necessary, but it sure is nice if a turn of a screw or two will save an expensive trip of a few hundred miles or more to go see a good stock fitter.

I mean if try guns get the proper fit...why not a type of try gun to shoot all the time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.