1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are 8's as good as 7 1/2's from 27 yards?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by highflyer, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

No. You can run the numbers. The extra energy of the 7 1/2' more than offsets the decrease in pellets. 7 1/2's are better at long range.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've watched newbies break 27 yard targets with 7/8 oz of 9s - great breaks? No but breaks. I've watched a fellow break 30 yard targets with .410 Cal factory, skeet, 9s, he got 18/25! I have a great number of friends that rely on factory or reloaded 8s for all their 27 yard competitions. Pointing at the bird is a fairly important factor here......Bob Dodd

3. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

In "laymens" terms,... will get away with near misses much better with 7.5 shot on long distant targets. I use 7.5 for everything, even Crow-hunting.

Showdawg

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

NO! Foot pounds of energy is what it's all about from the 27 yard line. While 8's will break targets from the 27 very well under certain conditions, 71/2's are consistantly better for me... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You can break the targets with 9's, 8's or 7 1/2's. 7 1/2's are the most efficient at long range.

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

showdawg , your crows must be fun to shoot - - - in south Alabama , if I don't have #6s , I'd swear that the crows laugh when they fly off after being "centered" in a pattern of #7 1/2s .

Charlie

7. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...efficient or effective???

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

7 1/2's verses 8's. At 40 yards right on that edge where enough pellet energy butts up against pellet density. As you add distance the advantage grows with the 7 1/2's.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

EE, pick an energy value and go from there. Personally, I use 0.6 ft/lb. That is higher than any estimate or figure I have ever seen published at the retained energy required to consistently break a clay target.

For loads launched with a measly 3' muzzle velocity of 1145fps, that 0.6 ft/lb threshold is crossed by 7 1/2' at 59 yards; 8s @ 50.5 yards; 8 1/2s @ 42 yards and 9s @ 33 yards. So clearly, both 7 1/2s and 8s have enough retained energy at 27 yard handicap distance. You've also heard that 9s do. If fact, as I've said before, I watched a friend break 25 straight from the 27 yard line using 7/8oz #9 Skeet loads.

So what is the difference? It depends on who you ask, or what you think. 7 1/2s certainly whack the target with more energy than smaller pellets do. The breaks are visibly more energetic. Many shooters think that "extra" oomph lets the scorer see a chip better. Many shooters think that fewer, more energetic 7 1/2s break the target into larger more visible pieces. Other shooters "know" that 8s have "enough" energy and want as many pellets in the pattern as possible. So who is right? What makes you happy or convinces you you have a better chance at a higher score.

I'll tell you one thing. If you shoot a factory STS Light Target shell (1 1/8oz @ 1145fps) at a bird from the 27 and it doesn't break, you can rest assured is was not because you had 8s in the payload.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you understand "kinetics" then you'll know the answer....

if not:

Please continue to use #8 shot and play all the options..

Thanks,

Curt

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good one Curt. I will stick with the 5's from the fence ( sometimes 4's)

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have some 7 1/2's and some 8's and a lot of clay targets. Just for fun I will take some clay targets and see if at some distance the larger 7 1/2's break more targets than the more 8's. I know a spinning target breaks more easily than a stationary target. But I can still see the chips, chunks and cracks in the targets. I have done this once before. I remember the 9's play out very quickly ricocheting right off the targets (so much for the 9's at long range). I know in long range sporting clays targets most shooters prefer 7 1/2's. None that I know of use 9's.

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

When I first started reading posts on here I used to wonder about Neil Winston because he kept disagreeing with what the "old pros" at my club were telling me. Amazingly, the longer I shoot the smarter he becomes!

I think if he logs into this he'll tell you what he shoots (and he's pretty successful).
    John

14. yansica1

yansica1 Member

Over in the UK next to nobody shoots what you call 7.5's since that would make it our 7! We all shoot US 8.5's and 8's. I shoot the former at all ranges up to 60 yard teal and they break.

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

8's will work on long range targets. Just not as good as 7 1/2's. I see a lot of powder coming off targets in the course of a tournament. Hit targets but not broken targets that would count. If you go pick up unbroken targets at the end of a round you will find a lot of targets that have been hit but did not break. Not enough pellet energy.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There was a fella from Wisconsin, a Mr. Bennett I believe, who wrote a book called "Trap is a game of opposites". In the book, he and another person shot like 4 flats of shells at 27 yd targets, and they did not know if they were shooting #7 1/2's or #8's. They were handed the shells by someone without knowing the size of shot. Their breaks were recorded, and the 7 1/2's performed better. I believe it was something like 15% more breaks with 7 1/2's.

17. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Try soft 8.5 as the dig in and hold onto the target.

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A good read.

Curt

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Some of you guys are a hoot! When I got out of the army i bought an SKB SbS for hunting. It was choked IM (full) and F (fuller). I used it for everything. My brother and I took up trap shooting. We shot so much that our dinky single stage loader used for hunting couldn't keep up. We bought a Pacific 366 and loaded what it came set up for. 19gr Red Dot and 1 1/8oz of #8 shot. With the components we used (Rem) that was good for a nominal 1200fps.

We used that load for everything, including protection. On many, many occasions, I broke the bird after a slow first shooter had missed. Often I broke it just inches shy of touching the ground. That's a 77 yard shot using 8 shot launched at 1200fps. Back then, in my 20s, life was simpler. One gun, one load, used for everything. Point it right and you scored. If you didn't, try harder the next time.

So when I hear some of you talking about kinetics, or the must have retained energy of 7 1/2s, I just have to laugh. Now, if I could make the rules, I'd be able to shoot super handicap 7 1/2s @ 1250fps all day long. Plus they would pattern at 85% PE @ 40 yards. And they would be cheap so I didn't have to reload. Why, because the breaks from such a load are IMPRESSIVE! However, I don't get to make my own rules, and my shoulder rebels at such treatment, and 85% PE @ 40 yards is really hard to get. So I'll be content with shooting my 1200fps 1 1/8oz of 8s or 7 1/2s, knowing perfectly well that either load will consistently break targets at much greater ranges than where I hit them from the 27.

20. yansica1

yansica1 Member

Hello Setterman, After 30 years of shooting Sporting in Blighty I can't tell the difference between US 8.5 and 8's, it is nowhere near a 15% advantage either way. I can however tell the difference in US 7.5's as the breaks are less smokey due to fewer pellets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

8 or 71 2for trap shooting