1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ARE 16's TOO EASY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm compelled to make a point related to the off-topic commentary that unfortunately spun from the congratulatory thread titled "CLAY TARGET CO-CHAMPS" started by Phil Kiner.

Even after nett56 (Milt) correctly admonished Trappy to cease and desist on the other thread; others weren't classy enough to heed his advice.

In my view the prime question boils down to the subject line. Are they too easy?

They're absolutely NOT in my case as I'm still pursuing my first 100 straight with over 6,000 registered 16's under my belt and lord knows how many others in practice and leagues over the last two years. Without statistical data to back it up at hand, they aren't for the vast majority of the rest of us either. Pat and Phil both seem to agree.

For the best 5 to maybe 10% of singles shooters, I suspect the challenge becomes the maintenance of perfection. A daunting endeavor no matter what the task--one to be admired by those aspiring.

I believe any serious discussion on addressing the state of the singles discipline should be reserved for this small top percentage of shooters who routinely run through 200 and more targets. Only they know why they continue to shoot them and how they feel about protracted shootoffs. To me all the rest is noise and conjecture.

Guy Babin

2. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Singles.... the challange is not to miss.

Handicap.... the challange is breaking the target.

They sound the same, but one is positive (breaking the target) and the other a negative (not to miss). I prefer the positive.

~Michael

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

To some they are much easier than for others...that being said, i do believe that in the case of a shootoff gone into extreme, bordering on the ridiculous OT,...that the competitors be offered and alternate, mutually agreed upon Alternate game format to help quickly decide a winner....maybe set a special trap with the machine throwing a 3 hole target at 1.5x legal speed...there are lots of ideas for a faster way to decide these matchups

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Why not delegate a C class shooter to shoot off for them? Bet it wouldn't last as long. BRGII

5. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

It doesn't seem to the event that is a problem, its the shoot offs. I agree that another form of shoot offs is required. Bruce

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It aint like the old days...when they would clip an extra couple feathers off the pidgeons wings before they put him in the box for release..to make him fly really freaky

7. Landshark

Landshark Member

To answer the OP's question........No.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Shoot 90mm targets for shootoffs.....

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe a new format: Like if there is a tie on the first 25, everyone steps back a yard. Then so on until the 27. Someone will miss then.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

For me it's 97% or 98% that are too easy. Those other 2% or 3% sometimes give me fits!!

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

For Leo, Harlan, Foster, Kay, Nora, Ray et al, singles are easy.

For Tiger, Phil, Jack, Arnold et al, golf is easy.

For Mohammed, Sugar Ray, Mike et al, boxing is easy.

The amount of practice and registered targets has a direct coorelation to the "easiness" of the singles in our game. I will say, as others have said, they are not "easy" for me. That being said, if I practiced and hit the number of targets the aforementioned shooters shoot, then it might be "easy" for me as well. I am still trying to master the mental game as well as the pointing of the gun.

As I hit 20 in a row, I FORGET IT IS....ONE....TARGET....AT....A.....TIME!!!! AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

They are when the guys next to me are shooting, not so much when it is my turn.

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

fred nailed it.

if you run the 200 and finish in 43rd place after the shootoff have you really identified the best shooter?

16 yard singles has become a game of endurance as opposed to a test of skill.

i admire mental toughness as much as the next guy but your shooting ability isn't the test in singles. why not?

14. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Wildcat: How would you suggest we identify the "best" singles shooter? Seems to me that the current shoot-off method works well.... If I break 500X500 and you break 499X500 then I am the better shooter, (on that day)....simple and fair!

Endurance is part of the "skill"...same in all sports!
    "Your shooting ability" includes your skill, endurance, and mental toughness.

My only thought on change would be to increase the Championship events to 300 or maybe even 400 targets.

Walt

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I agree with Walt. However, what I would like to see is that in AAA that all AAA shooters be squadded in the first half of each 100. Any AAA shooter posting a 100 would then be re-squadded to shoot an additional 100 targets with those squads tacked onto the end of the last squads for that 100.

This would mean that AAA shooters would have had to run 600 targets just to get to the shootoff. This should thin the crowd for the shootoff without requiring everyone to shoot a longer program.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Singles? Easy? Not for me. I'm still working on my first 75 straight.

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Walt - change the target settings and mandate the ammo load to max 7/8 oz would be steps 1 & 2. The shooters have gone beyond the game - time for the game to catch up.

No need to change the program - 200 targets is plenty.

But 200 plus another 500-900 is ludicrous.

How about this for a challenge - change the game to full wobble, move the line up to 12 yards and go for it - nobody has EVER run 100 straight.

No? Too much.

Oh well, just a thought.

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The CTC was an 1100 target event. Is that a good thing?

19. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Maybe somebody knows the answer to this question - how many rounds of 16 yard singles were shot at the Grand and how many clean rounds were shot?

20. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Forgive me for not knowing the exact numbers. I have been reading all the talk of the long shoot off and the way it sounds it was a lot of great shooting that ended in a co-champion. I thought someone said that many in a shoot off has never happened before? How many years has trap been around and it had a first and people are wanting to change it and make it different. Let me know if it ever happens again.

Corey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.