1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ar15

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dave from bronx, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave from bronx

dave from bronx TS Member

Looking for a ar15 in good condition live in oregon can any one help me?

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

S&W M&P 15, 16" adj stock, 30 rd mag. new $1025 Also have a Bushmaster Carbon 15 used, $995.00 Photos on web site
    Mike Battista

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Go to AR15.com

4. dave from bronx

thanks, site helpful.dave

5. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

There are a ton of AR15 out there make sure that it is a 5.56 and not just a 223 because the the 223 system can't fire the 5.56 round even though it's the same the pressure on the 5.56 is higher and my cause a problems the difference is the length of the chamber the 223 is shorter then the 5.56 so if you get a AR make sure it's a 5.56 and you can fire both round and it will be safe.good hunting

6. chrisg

chrisg Member

What the heck kind of explanation is that from cmptrwz1?
    You must be in another world.

7. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

chrisg: You are extremely rude! I see you are not an AR15 fan. I was just trying to tell the poster that there are two types of AR15's out on the market place. They are both 223 but the military version is 5.56 Nato and the civilian version is sometimes in 223 and not in 5.56 nato. You can fire both rounds in the same ar but the 223 version has a short chamber lead which is the space from the tip of the bullet to the rifling. The 5.56 Nato which is also called 223 has a longer lead which lowers the pressure of a 223 if you fire a 5.56 Nato round in a standard AR 223 which is not chambered for the 5.56 nato. It will over pressure and may blow up. That was what I was trying to tell the person who was looking to buy an AR15 and what to look for.

8. dave from bronx

thank you for the info the ar i am looking at has both 223 5.56. although been around guns all my life 57 years old new to ars thanks again ...Dave

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Absolutely make sure your AR is a 5.56, NOT a 223. I unknowingly bought one in 223 years ago, and when I shot 69 gr Federal Match through it, it had a total case head failure. The firearm was not damaged, nor was I. That day, I found out just how strong the AR action really is!

The S&W is not a bad deal. I prefer the Colt, mostly for resale value. Try to get a rifle with a chrome lined bore. All modern Colts have a chrome lined bore and chamber. The best twist is probably the 1-9. It will shoot anything well from the 40 gr to the 69 gr.

You might go to Wollf springs and get the extra power extractor spring kit for it. This will help reliability when shooting a heavily fouled gun.

Last but not least, the 5.56 is a high intensity round. Keep the chamber clean with a chamber brush made for the task. I chuck one in a drill on a rod and clean the chamber. It helps.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a Bushmaster flat-top, (extra upper with handle), sights, dot, CAR (adj stock), cheek-piece, rubber pad, couple of tools, and other items. It has less than 100 rounds through it. Probably 10 30-rounds mags, 5 or so 40-round mags, superb case made in Canada by a company I supported to make cases for SWAT teams.

I also have about 10,000 rounds of BH Ammo for it. I just never got around to shooting it. I have an H-S Precision verminter I use instead.

I get to Spokane often and am an FFL. I'd sell it and not look to make much.

Whiz White

11. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

How important is it to go through the barrel break-in procedure that I've seen recommended? Where for like the first 15 shots you clean the bore between each shot. Then for the next 15 shots you clean it after every 3rd shot. Something like that. I have a new Bushmaster M4 style that I have not fired yet. Thanks, cls

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Chrome lined bores are fine for milspec and AR's used for shorter ranges, like tactical, self-defense, etc. For precision shooting, like target or varmint, chrome lined bores leave a lot to be desired. I really prefer broach cut stainless to chrome lined bores.<br>
    <br>
    As for break in procedures, just clean it and shoot it. I don't bother with any procedures. Some disagree, and there are all sorts of recommendations for break in procedures. But I can tell you this for sure and for certain - there ain't no break in procedure that will work for a chrome lined bore. They're just too hard.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ive read several articles about .223 vs 5.56. It seems the dangerous pressure comes from a 5.56 fired in a 223 with not enough leade. I have thousands of Malaysian 5.56 military rounds. The overall length and the case length is within the specs for .223 and the cartridge fits in a .223 case gauge. Should I expect a problem firing this ammo in a Colt Sporter HBAR .223?

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your Colt's FACTORY barrel is a 5.56. Look on the barrel ahead of the front sight.

Brian is right about wanting a stainless precision barrel for the AR. The 223/5.56 is not the best round for autoloaders, due to its small diameter, length, intensity, and location of the gas port. Things must be right, chambers must be clean and slick. Stainless works well. ANY corrosion or pitting in a carbon steel AR barrel will kill the reliability of the rifle.

Since I use mine for LE training, I insist on a Colt's factory chrome bore and chamber. My HBAR target will beat MOA without loading precision ammo. I have shot .2 MOA AR's, but am too lazy to load precision ammo for them.

When I have too much time on my hands, I will see what my Colt's HBAR Target will do with FOR REAL precision heavy ball match ammo. (one of these days)

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Thanks Shooting Coach, It does say 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR in front of the sight. I've had it about 12 yrs, before the Clinton ban, and have only shot it about 200 times, it's been a while. I bought it when the assault rifle topic was starting to heat up. I think that is why the name Sporter and .223 are stamped on it. It came with two 10 round mags, well, they used to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.