1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR15 - SP1- custom

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wolf, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolf

wolf TS Member

Anyone know the value of a colt AR-15 SP1 modified by Bill Wylde back in the mid 1980's. It has a Krieger barrel (1x7) and a set trigger (1 lb or 3lb.).

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

$1000 TO 1200

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

221 I have a guestion maybe you can answer . About 20 years ago I bought an Original Colt SP1 new in the box at a gun show . I have never fired it or put a mag in it . What would you think a good price would be ?? I turned down $1,400 a month ago .

ALF

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Prices for early nice Colt AR15s in original condition have gone stupid. I prefer the early A1 pattern guns, but the SP1s are just too expensive unless its been well used, and even then the prices are oout of line for what they are. If you have one, you'd be dumb to let it go too cheap.<br>
    <br>
    For those who haven't seen it, this is my retro Colt Model 605 clone. The original was an M16A1 cut back to 15". These did not work out well because of timing issues due to the short distance between the muzzle and the gas port.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    The modern solution is to use a 16" carbine barrel with the gas port in the normal position for such a barrel, but with the front sight tower moved forward, being in the same position as rifles. This totally eliminates the timing issues with the gas port. The heat shields had to be trimmed to clear the rear gas block.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    The barrel is a Bushmaster "Dissipator" of 16". The upper receiver is an old Colt SP1 without forward assist. The flash hider is an old open three-prong. The stocks are old A1 pattern.<br>
    <br>
    The barrel, BTW, is a heavy barrel (Bushmaster also makes a much lighter M4 pattern Dissipator barrel). The gun does not weigh less than the old "pencil" barrel 20" M16A1. In fact, it is slightly heavier. The sight radius is the same, but the overall length is 4" shorter. This gives the best of both worlds, making it an accurate carbine. It sure outshoots my old XM177E2 clone.<br>
    <br>
    I've always liked the look of the Model 605, and finally decided to build one. Oh, and these models did not have a bayonet lug. I need to mill mine off.

5. oz

oz Active Member

try ar15.com oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.