1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR15 .22 uppers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim101, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Considering a .22 cal upper for my AR. What's the good, bad, and ugly on what's available. Accuracy and reliability are important.

TIA.

Jim

2. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

GO WITH CMMG

3. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I agree CMMG.

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I use one of these conversion kits. Works well enough to have fun with and you don't need a whole new upper.

Needs to be kept very well lubricated in my experience.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I tried a Spike's conversion and didn't like it.

I considered a .22 Upper and then a friend showed me his Sig 522. I went with that. Click URL above for more.

Gene in Illinois

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    IMG_1868x.jpg

Here's my CMMG upper on a Del-Ton lower. The CMMG upper is stock, except that I replaced the oversized M4 Glacier Guards with an old CAR forend. The muzzle device is a suppressor.

CMMGsierraMagpul2b.jpg

Same gun tarted up with Magpul furniture and a riser on the gas block for eventual use of Magpul sights.

Accuracy is just a little less than a 10-22T, but much better than a sporter 10-22.

Mine cycles everything from .22 subsonics to Mini-Mags reliably. The subsonics will also cycle without the can. Some other brands will not cycle subsonics at all, and others need a suppressor to boost back pressure. Some require spring alterations. The CMMG does not.

The magazine is the 26 round CMMG. I do not care for this mag. Works well, but it's a pain to load after 15 rounds or so. I prefer the shorter Mad Dog 15 round mags for varmint hunting anyway.

While the CMMG upper will fit on any standard AR15 lower, one issue is that the lower cannot have a notched hammer. This is common for nearly all if not all .22 conversions. I replaced my hammer with a $15 DPSM, and it works just fine.

Also, these kits are designed for a standard GI trigger. Contact CMMG if you plan to use a target trigger.

brianinoregon_2008_0303305.jpg

Here is a pic of the notched and notchless hammers. The notched hammer is on the right, and that's the one that doesn't work well with .22 uppers.

If the panic had not hit, I would have another one of these kits in a 20" A2 pattern for iron sight practice. CMMG makes several versions.

7. Brian in Oregon

BTW, do not get the Chiappa .22 upper. Made from plastic, and unreliable. Maybe Shooting Coach will chime in here with his tale of woe.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Absolutely stay away from the Chiappa uppers. I purchased several for local law enforcement and we had to send every one back for repairs, right out of the box.

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Thanks for the information, Knew I could count on the TS.COM folks.

Jim

10. Brian in Oregon

My bad, it was Whiz White I meant.

11. oz

oz Active Member

I forgot who made mine. BUT get a dedicated unit, ie: actual .22 barrel with 1/16 twist, no gas hole and a bolt like a .22 bolt, ie: not a bolt that has a chamber filler that looks like a .223 cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.