1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR type 22LR ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

If you were going to buy an AR type 22LR which one would you buy that has great accuracy?

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

I was told by a very reputable dealer the Smith & Wesson was the best all around .22 on an AR platform

3. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

I would take a serious look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

The guy at Gun Blast likes it, with match ammo he was shooting 1/2" @ 50yds

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-MP1522.htm

4. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Used to have a Smith and Wesson MP-22. Great gun with above average accuracy. Never had any jamming problems.

5. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have the S&W MP15-22. Great gun. I also have another 1 NIB $450.00 plus shipping to your FFL

6. ring3

ring3 Member

I looked for reviews on these about a year ago. The S&W was clearly preferred. Have one now and enjoying it. Likes Fed bulk ammo, hates any Remington bulk stuff. Good luck.

Rob

7. high 2

high 2 Member

I bought one last week. I haven't got to shoot it yet. The trigger feels pretty bad. Have any of you done anything to the trigger? Larry

8. missemucho

missemucho Member

Looked at them all and bought the S&W; one of the reasons is you can use a lot of the mil-spec parts on them. I believe that includes some of the better two stage triggers for the AR class guns.

John

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

SIG 522 is supposed to be better than the S&W depending on which review you believe.

10. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

I put a Rock River trigger in my S&W MP 15 22. The stock trigger was terrible. It is a joy to shoot now. Trigger is about $110.

David

11. skeetman77

skeetman77 Member

I love my S&W 15-22
    shot over 10,000 rounds with only a handful of failures to fire / feed etc...
    T

12. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Most any good AR lower with a Tactical Solutions 22 upper, it will drive tacks.
    Carey

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    CMMG makes .22LR uppers and complete rifles in a variety of patterns. The lowers are genuine AR15, and will readily accept a .223 upper. These uppers are reliable and accurate. Mine cycles everything from .22 subsonics to Mini-Mags.

View attachment 207391

This is my CMMG Sierra upper on an AR15 lower. The forend is an older CAR model, the Sierra comes with a larger M4 pattern forend, but I preferred the slimmer forend. The thing on the end of the barrel is my suppressor. The Sierra upper comes with a birdcage flash hider and an M4 barrel profile.

View attachment 207392

And a photo of it recently updated with Magpul furniture.

CMMG .22 LR uppers<a/>

<a href="http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1516.htm">CMMG complete .22 LR rifles

One caveat - These uppers do not use the buffer to function. They depend on the hammer and its spring, much like a 10-22 does. The hammer cannot have a notch in it. I installed a replacement notchless hammer in less than 5 minutes. The hammer spring should be a stock spring. The trigger should be stock too.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Most dependable..Sig 522. Best accuracy M&P 15-22. Best trigger.....None.

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We looked at all, read the reviews and bought the S&W...

Great little gun except the trigger is about 8 lbs and chunky... Had the trigger reworked to about 3.5lbs and smooth as a baby's bare.

Gun is now a fantastic little plinking toy. Highly recommend the S&W with Federal bulk value packs (four 525 boxes in dry box from Cabelas) barely any misfires.

SW

ps. buy at least four clips, you will shoot them faster than you can load them!

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Stay away from the Chiappa's.

I bought several for the local law enforcement from training and they were at Chiappa for more time than at the police department.

Right out of the box they wouldn't fire 2-3 shells in a row, and we tried about every hot shell out there. Then a recoil spring rod broke, got that fixed. Then the piece behind the bolt broke, we got that fixed. Then the e'clips on the recoil spring rods came loose, we got those fixed. Then they redid the bolts again with a third design improvement.

All this took an excessive length of time. They at least sent me the parts and let me fix them here, after we shipped the guns back initially.

All the fixes and parts that they did, took weeks and weeks. Nice folks to deal with, but the Chiappa is a poor design in the first place, in my opinion.

WW

17. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Colt (Umarex) AR .22 LR,$535.00. SIG 522 SWAT .22 LR $535.00.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

18. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

There are kits available for Ruger 10-22's. You can build your own any way you like: long and heavy or short and light barrels, collapsible or fixed stock, pretty much any way you want. There are parts readily available for 10-22's, trigger kits, extended magazines, etc.

rimfirecentral.com can explain it better than I.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The S&W 15-22 functions exactly the same as a mil-spec .223.
    The controls are all in the same location and the bolt locks
    open after the last shot. You can drop in an after-market AR
    match trigger. I installed a $12.00 JP trigger spring kit
    and the pull weight dropped to 4 Lbs. Great little gun.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks!

Now I must own one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.