1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hrosik123, Jun 26, 2013.

1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I'm looking to buy an AR in 9mm and was wondering what platform to get? I really like the CMMG's but wanted to hear everyone's opinion. Your input would be appreciated.
    Chuck

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I had the Colt version for sometime and it was a fun shooter. Not much for accuracy at any kind of distance. It also did not care for aftermarket magazines. Tried a few different ones and they all seemed to jam the first round of a full magazine. Colt mags ran fine, could be an isolated incident.

3. GE-Minigun

GE-Minigun Member

Make sure the bolt is ramped, if not it will beat the snot out of the lower and eventually "egg" the sear pin hole. As for magazines...Metalform are the best (use to make them for Colt) C Products aren't bad.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had a Colt 9mm AR-15. It ain't the gun that's not accurate, it's the cartridge. With the highest quality factory ammo or very careful handloads the best I got for accuracy was 2" at 50 yards. With bulk ammo the groups were 3" to 4". This was with iron sights.

As far as reliability, it was totally reliable. Never tried aftermarket mags because I had two shoeboxes full of Colt mags.

For varmint hunting, there wasn't anything the 9mm could do that a 223 could not do better, so I got rid of the 9mm. Should have kept it for use as a house gun.

My recommendation would be to first try to find a nice used Colt 9mm with as many Colt mags as you can get.

After that, the Olympic Arms 9mm is actually a pretty decent gun, one of the few things they make that isn't a piece of crap.

I have no experience with the CMMG, but if their .22 LR conversions can be used as a standard, then it ought to be well made and reliable.

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Can I ask why you want an AR in 9mm?

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Because the ones in 25 ACP are impossible to find.

-Gary :p

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's a good choice for a female or a child. Also, ammo is relatively inexpensive. If you can't spring for a Colt, take a look at a Rock River.

Bob Falfa

8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

stick with the .223 and/or 5.56 Nato if there is no specific reason.

Better resale, more versatility, shoots farther, better magazines.

Women and kids can shoot .223 AR's with ease.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Is "I want one" a good enough reason? Worked for a great deal of my other acquisitions.

10. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

grntitan pretty much nailed it. I want one. Have one in 5.56 and was looking for one in a pistol caliber that I could take out and shoot a little more at a cheaper price.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are all of your shotguns 12 ga?

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Brian, all mine are. Jake

13. oz

oz Active Member

check out mechteksys.com

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The 9mm ones are fun and easy to shoot. The man above mentioned that it is really not a rifle, but a carbine that shoots a small pistol round. It is clearly no long range firearm. It is easier to shoot decent at 25 yards (on pistol sized targets) than a handgun, but still requires all the shooting fundamentals to be an effective training device for rifle marksmanship skills. I would consider it good for home defense where generally distance is not the issue. Easier to maintain control of than a handgun.

The only 9mm one I ever shot was a Colt and it functioned fine.