1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR or Mini 14?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm working out a trade with a gun dealer. We have agreed the stuff I've got to trade is worth $750. I'm happy. He has offered to trade a new Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle, synthetic stock, stainless barrel or he has a used Bushmaster AR15 H-Bar "like new in case". If I take the AR he will throw in a 100 rounds of .223. He has another Bushmaster that he says has a "heavy barrel" but if I want it I will have to add $50.

I'm ignorant when it comes to rifles so I would like your opinions. I probably won't shoot it much. I'll shoot a 22 rifle, or a pistol about once every 2 years or so. I'll shoot stationary targets for about 15 minutes then that is enough for me. I gotta then pick up a shotgun and go shoot something that will fly.

I just want a rifle in case the crap hits the fan, like everybody says it is going to.

Pros or cons of either gun?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

By all means, get the AR-15.

Any repair, including barrel replacement can be made by the user with very few special tools. Good mags are cheap. They are almost always more accurate.

They are easier to clean the chamber properly. Top ends of different calibers, from 22 LR, to pistol calibers, to a special 50 cal round with about the same power as a hot 45/70, can be obtained.

If long range optics are desired, the Ruger is left way behind.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

either way get a bunch of mags both are the same remember what happen when the dumb o craps and clit hit the ban

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I second Shooting Coach's comment above. A friend of mine, actually replaced the upper on his Bushmaster to a .243 wssm, which if you haven't seen, is one cool cartridge. Even in .223, the AR out shoots the mini-14 by a long shot. Hope this helps, Josh.

5. spritc

spritc Active Member

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

AR 15, Sporter or whatever they are called now.

7. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

The mini is only worth about $500.

An 'H-bar' barreled upper should be a heavy barrel under the handgaurds. The other is probably a straight taper varmint bull barrel.

The AR and $100 rounds of decent quality ammo is a decent trade. You'd be behind money on the Mini.

As others have said, the AR is a far superior platform.

8. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Whichever you choose....don't get too attached to it. You just might find yourself living someplace where possession of such a terror weapon is prohibited, leaving you with a choice to move, sell it for whatever you can get, or turn it in.
    Good Luck.

9. oz

oz Active Member

bushmaster is one of the best. get it. only get the heavy barrel if you want to shoot benchrest or varmints exclusively . oz

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I have both. The AR has a heavy barrel and shoots 3/4" at 100 yards. The mini shoots around 2". I took the scope of the mini. It is now in my closet by the bed (w/2 30rd mags)

11. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Get the Bushmaster. If you find you like it, there's an endless list of accessories and upgrades you can do with it.

Jim

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

You probably don't need any more advice. You can see which way we are leaning.

Owner of, Stag AR model 2, 12 mags, 4000 rounds of ammo. Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

AJ100

13. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have owned both the Bushmaster AR and the Ruger Mini, as Dove Commander alreay pointed out accuracy out of the mini is less than stellar. The mini is gone but the AR remains with my eye on another. Looking at the 6.8 SPC version now. Can't wait.

Good luck

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Don Steele,

We live in a country where drugs are prohibited, but they can't seem confiscate even a small portion of the black market trade. What makes you think they will have better luck with guns?

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

For one who is in the market for a AR STAG has been more than helpful on both thier phone and online support. One thing I did not gind out is if their LH uppers will fit any mil spec lower. Do know that their LH/RH uppers aer interchangable with one lower. I just may charge it on my credit card and refuse to pay and ask for a bail out.

16. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Shannon...
    Most Americans, and I venture to say darn near ALL of my fellow Trapshooters....are law-abiding citizens who will not willingly and knowingly commit a felony involving a firearm. The drug trafficers are NOT the same type of people, and yes...they will continue to have whatever guns, drugs, etc that they want. In their world, a firearm felony arrest is probably the LEAST of their worries. How many of us can say that...??

17. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

sportshot, just as easy to tear down as any AR platform. I purchased a Stag because of the price. It was lower than any other wholesaler I use.

I figured that any company that had enough brains to build a left hand model must know what they are doing. It shoots better than I do.

As far as the 4000 rounds, I might not shoot them all, but I got em. The price just kept going up, even my wholesale price, so I bought it every time I saw a sale.

AJ100

18. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

$50.00 ant the AR heavy barrel !

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go with the AR. I was sorta leaning toward the Mini-14 only because it is brand new and made by Ruger. Like I said I'm ignorant when it comes to rifles, never heard of Bushmaster. I know shotguns, Parkers and LC Smiths are at the top and then you work your way down from there. Bushmaster sounds like a decent quality gun.

Probably won't shoot it much, just going to have it in the case "it" hits the fan.

Thanks again

Bisi

20. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Good choice wait until you shoot it you maybe hooked even if you don't it's a good investment to have plenty of ammo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.