1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR blow up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

A friend's AR blew up yesterday. He's ok, but pretty shook.

He was using reloaded ammo, 27.5 gr. of Varget with a 55 gr. bullet. He said it was a compressed load. He was using a Dillon 650 press. I use 26.5 gr. of Varget routinely and have never had any signs of increased pressure.

Any comments?

2. andybull

andybull Active Member

Maybe a squib load?

3. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

You can have a big difference in pressures if you use military cases. They are much thicker and smaller capacity, so pressure will be extreme with what may be normal loads in civilian cases. Most reloading manuals show this warning, it is important in the 223 if you pick up brass. AJ

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Andy...you mean a squib in the shell preceding the blow up?

5. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Did he have a case failure or a gun failure?

Does he own (and use) a case trimmer?

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I haven't seen the gun, but since it was destroyed, I'd have to say gun failure. He's new to reloading, does not have a case trimmer. And I'm unsure where his brass comes from. He has done a lot of shooting and has been saving all his brass.

7. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Long brass jammed against the taper at the end of the chamber causes higher pressures. Long brass crimped into a groove without the ability to expand is even worse.
    Most, if not all, LC brass that I have obtained needed to be trimmed before I could load it.

8. EE

EE Banned User Banned

He's new to reloading, doesn't have a case trimmer (and who knows what else), but he's loading a max load already? And let me guess, he didn't work up to that charge, looking for pressure signs along the way? Interestingly enough, Hodgdon lists that load as their fastest 55gr load for the 223, by a large margin. My guess is the guy said 'hell, yeah, that's the velocity I want', loaded it up, and and went to the range with it.

EE

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's a lot of Varget for a .223.

RE the military case thickness, I would beg to differ. This is true of 308 cases for certain, and also for 30-06.

I trimmed some commercial and some lake city to the same length, and filled them to the top. The LC brass held more than the commercial.

YMMV

HM

10. andybull

andybull Active Member

capvan:

Yes. He could have had an obstruction in the barrel.

11. alchemist

alchemist TS Member

The Remington 223 and the 5.56 X45 mm chambers are not the same. Remington 223 ammo can be fired safely in a rifle chambered for 5.56 x 45 mm. Firing 5.56 X 45 mm ammo in a firearm chambered for Remington 223 can produce high pressures.

Bob Snell

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Show us a picture of the gun if you can. HMB

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'd have to agree with EE. New to reloading and a compressed load of Varget?????? Wayne

14. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Why would anyone load a 'compressed' load in an assault rifle??? Compressed loads are generally for long range shooting or hunting from a bolt gun. And even then bullet weight, case volume, primer and many other factors weigh in to the equation. Will be interesting to see what the manufacturer says if he sends it in for analysis. But I'm guessing he won't. Good thing he is ok - lesson learned the hard way.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Darwin called. He's looking for your friend.

-Gary

16. Landshark

Landshark Member

27.5 grains of Varget? Dang......

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Anchorsteam, quote: <i>"Why would anyone load a 'compressed' load in an assault rifle??? Compressed loads are generally for long range shooting or hunting from a bolt gun. And even then bullet weight, case volume, primer and many other factors weigh in to the equation. Will be interesting to see what the manufacturer says if he sends it in for analysis. But I'm guessing he won't. Good thing he is ok - lesson learned the hard way."</i>

Uh, your slip is showing.

I have a universal .223 Rem load for 55 gr bullets that is mildly compressed, and I've been loading it for well over 20 years now, and firing it in single shots, bolt actions, numerous semi-autos of various makes and types including so called "assault weapons", handguns, and even machineguns.

Please cite a source that compressed loads should not be fired in an "assault rifle".

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

" Your slip is showing" that shows some age LOL. Jeff

19. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I load Varget and 4064 in my ARs. It is all compressed to some degree, especially the 4064.

20. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Need a lot more information. Was the gun an as new or new AR or was it altered with an aftermarket target barrel? LC brass may have as much or more volume than commercial brass as one poster has suggested but it is softer that commercial brass and will stretch more. If a new reloader runs brass through a progressive reloader ( especially several times) without lubricating the inside of the case neck properly that case will grow, further, it will get thicker at the neck which can cause a catastrophic failure in a tight neck target barrel. There are so many variables in reloading in general and in this incident in particular that this failure could have been caused by anything, including space aliens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.