1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR blow up - Part II

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I created a thread some time ago and got a lot of good information concerning my friend's AR blowing up. Thanks to everyone.

He has now discovered that he was using Titegroup powder rather than Varget.

As I said, he is new to reloading.

I think he learned something...

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Really? Is he that dumb? Being new to something does not make OK, especially when dealing with guns and explosive materials. He's a damn moron and a danger to himself and more importantly the people around him.

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I guess I should make clear that this was a mistake. A very dumb, carless, mistake to be sure, but still un-intentional.

He's actually a pretty smart guy. But needs to slow down...

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Tell him to hide the Bullseye!

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

It appears most of the posters on that first thread were right; the guy is a danger to himself and others. Calling what he did a "mistake" doesn't excuse it in any way. Some mistakes can KILL.

Hell, Titegroup and Varget look *nothing* alike. Neither does the label on the cans. And I'm still betting that he never attempted to work up to this load. Where does this guy shoot?

Thanks for the update.

EE

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

It says a lot about the AR.

Hard to believe no one was hurt. Imagine - a case full of compressed pistol powder.

Lucky fellow your friend.

Don Verna

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Oh, he was hurt. 10 stitches for a facial cut and a broken orbit bone. He was wearing GOOD safety glasses.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Exactly why I recommend against starting out with a progressive loader. Not that it was necessarily a factor in this case but maybe having the powdered brass in a block would have made you wonder. Starting out with a one hole single stage loader allows you to learn so much more about the process rather than jerking a handle and loaded rounds magically coming out the tube. I also preach to have one powder one caliber one primer size everything that is on the bench within reach to be only for whatever you are loading at the time. He's not the first or will be the last to use the wrong powder, at least everyone didn't call for the AR15 companies head on a stick and banning them from ranges and all the other knee jerk reactions we get when something like this happens. OR did we?

Tell your friend to learn his lesson, not to give up be always be vigilant, it takes a big man to admit his mistakes. Guns and reloading are like motorcycles, if you let your respect for them slip they will bite you badly.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

That similar thing happened in Fort Wayne. A guys wife liked to reload and was generally good at it. She got mixed up and used WW296 pistol powder instead of WW748 rifle powder. They were both ball powders. He was lucky and only minimally hurt also. I got in the habit of keeping my powder cabinet across the room from my reloading bench. The powder I am using right then is the only one close to the press at that time. Even after 30 years of reloading, I double check everything several times when I am getting set up. You cannot be too careful!

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A now defunct local gunshop here used to have blown up muzzleloaders brought back on a regular basis from idiots using the wrong powder - smokeless. Doesn't anyone read instructions anymore?

And one of the most common blown up guns back then were .38 Special revolvers. It's easy to double charge a case with some powders (one of the reasons I like bulky powders).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.