1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR-15

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

Opinions please, what is the best AR-15 for around $1000. Thanks

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 Member

The best Ar 15 on the market is the Colt
    There are several models but they are worth the most and hold the value the best
    I would buy all the 30 round mags you can find since it seems as of now the dems are going to win the white house
    there will be a 2nd Brady bill out in the next year so but now before the ban...

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For resale, the Colt's have the others beat. Also, it has all the good parts, chrome bore and chamber, and such.

If the guy from the left wins, you might want to scarf up some 30 round mags as barter.

However, to shoot, the 20 rounders are better and more reliable. I train folks to load 18 in the 20's, and 28 in the 30's.

The 20" barrel is a little more accurate, the 16" is handier. The 1-9" twist is the hot tip. Don't let the 1-7" twist be a deal killer. The slower twist handles the lighter bullets you will be shooting better.

Regardless of make, for the long haul, when parts and ammo might be in short supply, you want a chromed bore and chamber. DO NOT GET AN AR-15 CHAMBERED IN 223 REMINGTON. You definitely want the 5.56mm chamber. There is a hybrid chamber, the Wylde. Most chromed barrels are straight 5.56mm.

I have been shooting, smithing, and training the use of these guns for quite a few years and have a passing knowledge of their care and feeding.

They are straightforward to reload for with some cardinal rules. Powder can be obtained to minimize muzzle flash in the carbine, or give maximum velocity with less flash with heavy bullets. I typically use the 55 gr boat tail bullet made for the AR-15, and do not recommend bullets over 62 gr for service. The big bullets are EXPENSIVE, and do not make the firearm any more effective at normal ranges.

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Stag Arms, *wholesale* price as of YESTERDAY on their Model 1 was $725.00. Who knows what they will be 6 months from now.

I went thru this the last time around.

Tom(AJ100)

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Go Rock River, if you can get one. .223/5.56 Wylde chamber, 3/4" group at 100 yards. Do the heavy stainless barrel. Great gun.

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Bushmasters going for $1100 in Dallas this week. $850 last week. If you want one, you had better HURRY and buy or build as on January 21, 2009, you won't be able to!!!!!!!!!!

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Shooting coach, What do you think of Remington model called Predator. I was called today and can get them for $850. but don't want some junk. I'm pretty sure it was 223 also. Jackie B.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I just ordered a STAG model 2 910.00 retail delivered. Should be in end of week. When I was researching AR purchase 4 months ago. Could have a STAG in 3 days. Now its 7 to 12 days? I could have shopped and got one cheaper. I decided to go to very local guy that I just stumbled across. Best price I got before was 849.00 BUT 3hr round trip drive,gas,trafic also would have taken trip up to order and deposit then pick up. So 6hrs 30 in gas, coffee lunch. or a 10 minute drive from my house. The stag is chrome lined barrel 1;9 twist. I got the fold down rear sight. Now the hunt for mags.

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the best bet it to build your own....you'll get what you want the first time around..get the best upper...best trigger..the rest will fall in.

tony

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

what do you consider the best lower, upper, and trigger? I assume a wylde chamber is a must for .223/5.56 ammo.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here ya go. Good luck finding one after this weekend.

12. oz

oz Active Member

check out ar15.com
    oz

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Supply is not meeting demand now. Word is Rock River is 30,000 units behind orders.

14. arnie2

arnie2 TS Member

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but my local gun shop (about 30 miles west of Chicago) had about a dozen Rock Rivers on display today and dozens of other AR15 clones. Make that about 11 Rock Rivers, I left with a National Match A2.

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Saw three RRA Tactical Entry models at the Bloomington Gun Show today $1095 each.

16. deadelk

deadelk Member

I ended up buying a Smith & Wesson M&P15a. I ran several hundred rounds thru it yesterday cleaning the bore about every six rounds. It is pretty accurate and alot of fun to shoot. I paid $899.00 for it. Bought a case of PMC 55 grain ammo (820 rounds) for $340.00 I am a happy camper.

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

And the difference between the 5.56 and the 223 chamber is?

The was an NRA article on it a year or so ago but I dont recall other than case wall thickness and pressure loading

thanks

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    Jackie, I have a Remington R-15 fixed stock 18" carbine in .223. It's a very nice rifle. Quite accurate too. I topped miine off with an EOTech 552 holosight.<br>
    <br>
    This rifle was made for hunting, not for tactical shoots, because it is chambered in 223, not 5.56, nor does it have a hybrid chamber (like the Wylde). It is 223 only. I have other AR15's I use for tactical, so I had no problem dedicating this one to hunting.<br>
    <br>
    The carbine balances very nicely. The barrel is a medium weight, with the portion ahead of the gas block being fluted. The 22" rifle is pretty well balanced too, but I prefer the carbine. I did not get the collapsible buttstock because I'm always getting my moustache or beard snagged in them.<br>
    <br>
    The cam finish on the buttstock, receiver and forend have held up well, but the camo on the pistl grip seems a bit on the soft side. The photo shows the gun against my hunting jacket in direct sunlight and in the shade. The EOTech now has camo tape on it.<br>
    <br>
    Bushmaster makes this gun for Remington. Their coyote version has a 20" barrel that is heavier, and a 24" varmint version, also with a heavier barrel. Both of these are available in camo or black. The Bushmaster has a two-stage competition trigger. The Remington R15 has a single stage trigger that breaks pretty crisp for an AR15, and it's reasonably light. The Bushmaster costs more, but I'm perfectly happy with the less expensive Remington.<br>
    <br>
    I did make one change on my R15. I removed the factory trigger guard and replaced it with a Magpul that's designed for winter gloves. Here are the before and after photos.<br>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Remington/Bushmaster will be a good gun, but make sure you get the 5.56 chamber.

I still prefer and recommend the chrome bore and chamber.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BTW, I built another AR15 upper receiver assembly a few weeks ago. I always liked the Colt Model 605, which is the original M16 carbine. It's nothing more than the 20" M16 with the barrel cut back to 15". The flash hider is threaded right up against the front sight tower. The pic above is of an original Model 605.<br>
    <br>
    I like the retro look of the earlier AR15s and M16s. I've always liked the Colt Model 605. These were the first 16" carbine models. Unfortunately, they were not very successful, because there was insufficient distance between the gas port and the muzzle.<br>
    <br>
    Thanks to Bushmaster, that's not an issue anymore. Bushmaster makes an AR15 called the Dissipator. It has a 16" barrel, with the gas block in the normal position for a 16" carbine. But the front sight tower is out at the end, giving a full sight radius. This eliminates the problems inherent in the Model 605.<br>
    <br>
    I ordered a heavy Dissipator barrel (a light M4 pattern is also available). Because I like the retro look, I bought a nice condition easly Colt SP1 "slickside" upper. This has no forward assist. Mated the barrel, and then added A1 pattern triangular handguards (which I prefer over the A2 pattern - I guess I'm just "old school"). The handguards had to have a bit of the inner heat shields sectioned out to clear the inner Dissipator gas block. Because this is a Colt upper, it has a large front pin. I JB Welded in an offset bushing to mate with my small pin lowers.<br>
    <br>
    The gun weighs a wee bit more than an AR15A1 model, with the balance point about an inch further to the rear. It feels solid, but not overly heavy. I've function fired it. I have not put it on paper yet, but had no problems hitting a grapefruit can at 300 yards from a rest. The rear sight is too far to the left, so I need to loosen the barrel nut, put a heavy wood dowel in the sight tower, and keep pressure on it in the opposite direct the nut gets tightened to realign the sight tower. Minor annoyance. Here are pics of it, including one with a handguard removed to show the rear gas block and the trimmed heat shield. Also, the flash hider is the old 3-prong. The bayonet lug (which is useless because of the short barrel) will be milled off later.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    For tactical use, I like the old A1 sights. Just "set and forget". Yeah, the A2 sights are better for target matches, but they are not as rugged and simple as the A1. I plan to use this for iron sight tactical shoots.<br>
    <br>
    For comparison, here is a standard 20" M16A1.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.