1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR-15 type rifles ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K-GUNS, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

My nephew wants an AR 15 type semi auto rifle in .223

He was looking at bushmaster target and the new Remington R 15.

Anyone have some good info on whats better and why ? This guy really wants to join military and try to get into sniper school,but for now wants military style AR 15 to practice with..... something as close as he can get to what they issue for boot camp.He wants to be accurate to score high enough to get into sniper school.

Any info from people who know the facts please.............

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

If he wants to practice accurate shooting he should lean towards something like an HBAR or National Match model. As far as brands I own Colt and Rock River. Have had one Bushmaster and probably would not be afraid to own another although I believe the Rock Rivers are better put together and certainly seem tighter as far as fitting. Nowdays, the name Colt will cost several hundred more and probably will not be any better than others available. I think the Remington is actually a Bushmaster. Might want to look at ar15.com for more info.--------Bryan

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thanks,that was fast.I was thinking of colt hbar but didn't think they were still being made-he wants new !!

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thanks Sarge,

he is of age and I think he signed a deferd ( spelling )enlistment,not positive.Hard to change the mind of a 21 yr old.They already know everything.His Mom & dad do not agree with him but its what he wants to do.He'd rather be on front lines fighting or behind the lines sniping if he gets into that program.

I am just trying to help he get the facts on the rifle he wants to practice with so his shooting scores are high enough.

My opinion is you can only learn so much-if you don't have enough talent your through, and I have not seen him shoot.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought an Olympic receiver that I used as a start and built up my own. It shoots 1 hole, 5 shot groups at a hundred yards all day long. I have no problem with the olympic. Be sure to match your ammo to the twist rate in the barrel. Murray

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

what is best twist rate ? And what is best ammo to shoot at what rate of twist ?

7. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

I would look for a local highpower club, most shooters are very willing to help a guy out.
    I guarantee that a master level shooter will be looked at real close for the Army Marksmanship Unit or sniper school.

IMHO the AMU would be the best duty yu could do in the army, get paid to shoot and ammo furnished!!!!!!!!!

Mildot

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

crab

The best twist rate will depend on what you want to shoot through it and at what ranges. The 1 in 7" is a bit too fast for anything except the heaviest bullets. The 1 in 12" is too slow for the heavier bullets. The 1 in 9" is probably a decent compromise. My 1 in 7" does alright with bullets around 69 grains and a little heavier. It does not do too that well with the 55 grain projectiles, but it will hold well under 2" with them at 100 yards. The odd part is that the groups aren't that much larger at 200. The 62 grain bullets work acceptably. My 1 in 9" does fine with 55 to 69 grain projectiles. My longer range shooting is done with the faster twists and heavier bullets. An older 1 in 12" just does not do well at all. Anything over 55 grains don't stabilize well. It has done OK with 52 grain match bullets. It's a clunker, so I don't expect too much.

That's my experience, but there are many schools of thought.

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

crab, you may want to look at a Fulton Armory FAR-15. Pretty good quality, Geisele Automatic triggers available, Krieger barrels. Several twist options.

Here is there website: www.fulton-armory.com

good luck, John E.

10. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thanks again for all the info...........I'm trying to forward all this to him tonight in email.He needs to make the right move for him-thanks again.

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

To start out, it doesn't matter what brand, they're all the same. Next one I try is going to be a Stag. Probably just a standard A2 20" would be best for entry level and practice. I would stick to something affordable, and factory built. 1-9 twist and chrome lined barrel with a standard 5.56 chamber. Put together rifless are a pain to sell. AR's generally don't have a good resale. Many people don't use them all that much, so consider buying a used one for a bargain price. Don't be afraid to make an offer on a used rifle. People seem to avoid them like the plauge. It's funny how guys get all hyped up about them. Lots of models to choose from these days, buy what you like. After he's got some use and knowledge, move up to a free floated model with a match trigger and barrel. You can always add a match trigger to a standard rifle, and it doesn't take a gunsmith to do it. You need to reload to get the ultimate accurracy out of a match rifle, and that's another investment.

12. james25889

james25889 Member

im pretty sure that bushmaster makes the remington r15 i believe they are both owned by that ceribus capital mgmt company

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

+1 for Magnumshot. I have a Stag Model 2 and it runs great. You can check out their Model 4. Pretty much a std rifel. 20" HB, A2 fixed stock, A3 sights. Wholesale is around $743.00

Good Luck, AJ100

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Crab, I might have a Bushmaster with plenty of ammo available within two weeks. Shot 100 rds. Nice price!!

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a Remington R-15. It is NOT a target or tactical rifle. It is a coyote hunting rifle. The barrel is lighter weight than what is typical for target AR15's. It is designed to be very accurate for the first few rounds, which are all that's needed for coyote hunting. And the light weight makes it easy to hike with the stands, and easy to shoulder while sitting for extended periods.<br>
    <br>
    If one wants a target rifle, get a target rifle. A heavy barrel target model or a DCM/CMP model.<br>
    <br>
    If he's under 18, get him into a CMP/DCM program NOW, because Bushmaster has a special on their DCM model for juniors. $800 instead of $1150.<br>
    <br>
    Myself, I'm trying to pony up for a Bushmaster DCM rifle. Wish I had the funds when one was offered here used at a good price earlier this year. Dang.

16. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

Rock River or GSE

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The AR platform is very user friendly. As one of the few civilian Patrol Rifle Instructors in my state, I recommend getting familiar with stoppage reduction drills. It performs a lot like the 1911 pistol when performing stoppage reduction drills. When the firearm is in Tactical mode (chamber loaded), the thumb MUST be locked on the safety at all times unless the arm is slung. Get used to closing the dust cover EVERY TIME you close the bolt. This needs to be on a subconcious level.

Indexing on the safety gives you an edge when transitioning past Threat mode (time to shoot), and makes other folks around you not afraid of you. Also Google and learn Sul Safety techniques (pronounced SOOL). Also, stepping into the known, NOT the unknown. Learn how to engage and disengage while utilizing effective fire techniques. This will give the shooter a HUGE edge in basic and advanced training.

Sight it in one inch low at 25 yards with factory sights/carry handle, and it is good to go to 275 yards. Get used to the AR with iron sights, and when deployed, the optics will be a dream. One needs to be proficient with the rifle in iron sight mode!

Do not waste your time with 30 round mags. Get 20's and load them with 18 rounds. Memorize which side of the mag the 18th round is on and when the arm is charged and racked, the mag may be removed and inspected. If the top round is now on the other side, the arm IS loaded! This works well by feel in reduced light conditions.

The AR is a fun gun to shoot and train with, but it MUST be kept reasonably clean, especially the chamber.

18. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thanks everyone,I will give this info to him again and Andy I will let him know,but I think he is in a hurry.

19. oz

oz Active Member

check out ar15.com oz

20. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I have one of these that I use as a coyote gun and it is a tack driver. If I was building one I would use the White Oak Barrel . <br>
    This .223mm barrel is the product of the Army's Squad Designated Marksman Rifle Development Program, which was assigned the task of improving the accuracy of the standard issue rifle against targets out to 600 meters. This would allow the valued marksman or sniper the ability to stay concealed within the squad by carrying a weapon that looked similar to the rest. It was found that by carrying a dissimilar rifle, he had become an easily recognizable high-priority target. We offer this barrel to the tactical user or casual shooter interested in the ability hit distant targets with issued or mag length ammunition.

<br>
    <br>
    http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.