1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR-15 stolen in western ny tonight 5/26/11

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Dunno if it'll do any good, but I figured with everyone headed to the club in the morning, you never know.

This evening, my brother's AR15 (highly customized) was stolen from the bed of the his truck while parked at the gun club. This happened in Scottsville NY, which is about 20 minutes south of Rochester, at around 11pm (4 and a half hours ago). He and a group of about a half dozen people were sitting on the front porch, about 25 yards from where his truck and gun were. Someone came walking up out of the dark, lifted the gun in its hard case out of the truck, then vanished in the woods behind the club. The whole thing was caught on surveillance tape with a facial shot of the perp, but I don't know how hi-res the images will end up proving to be. Police report has been filed, and police were at the club w/ a tracking dog, but no luck. It was in a Browning Travel Vault. Would have had a Nikon scope, Double Star receiver, target style pistol grip, skeleton stock, railed forend, and bull .223 barrel, but those are the only details I can think of off the top of my head right now, will post up more info when available.

Just thought this might catch someones eye before they head to the club in the morning, in case someone tries to offload it for quick cash at another club tomorrow (if it isn't in some gangbangers hands already). If you could print this off and stick it on the wall @ your club, I'd appreciate it.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

From my brother: BOLO -Stolen Gun - New York My AR as stolen out of the back of my truck tonight in a browning hard case (pelican style). SN D0007438. upper is a fulton armory with a 20 inch bull barrel, 4 rail free float barrel, rail covers, ARMS Swam sleeve with flip up rear sight, 4 rail gas block, bipod adapter, harris s-bmr 6-9" bipod, Nikon monarch 4-16 mil dot scope, leupold quick release rings............lower is a double star lower with a jard 4 way adjustable trigger, DPMS panther palm grip, EZ pull take down pins, ARFX skeleton stock, magpul MOE trigger guard....... stolen from four point rod and gun club in Rochester/ Chili, NY. Perp seemed to have sombody drop him off at the end of our driveway and walk down the edge/ in the woods that borders the gun club. If anybody has any info on this please call the sheriffs or call me at 585-755-9210 or email me at shauns88@hotmail.com. Thanks:-(

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Sure sounds like someone knew exactly whre that gun was from an earlier vist to the club.

Look at those tapes closely to see if anyone recognizes clothing, or other appearences of earlier visitors there. Perhaps someone NOT a member just "Happened" to stop by and asked some questions.

We had a fellow going around to turkey shoots back in that area of NY in the 80's, doing similar things. Didn't take the high end guns, just the normal 870's and 1100's so he could sell them to hunting buddies...Took a while, but they caught him.

Good luck to your brother !!!

Dave in SC

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

sucks, there was a time @ my club if you left you wallet or gun(yes this happens) someone would call or show up at your house.....ahh looking for something. Now adays you best lock your shit up tight. I donr even like walking down the 100 yard range with my stuff out or even running to the bath room.
    Worse part is they took it, most likely had a plan before hand.
    Stripped off the upper and non gun parts from the lower and chucked the lower in a river. For 100.00 they can buy thier own lower or attach the parts to a legal lower. These parts are worth way more in the legal resale arena than than they can get for them on the street.
    Especially a target model. Lock up your guns

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That sucks. It doesn't matter what kind of gun it was, it was still stolen. I can't help top ask why in the back of his truck? I mean surveillance cameras or not we have to stop making it easy for these crooks. Now i never said that gives them the right to take it but we have become too trusting with our valuables. I really hope this crook tries to pawn it quick and it pops up. Those AR's are a dime a dozen right now and even customized it may blend in. Good luck.

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Times are changing. There was a time when the gun range was a safe place. At any given moment, at almost any Trap range, you will see over $100K in shotguns sitting in a single rack. I've never worried about my guns while at the range. I may have to change my thinking.

7. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Never leave your gun out in public except in your hands. Sit close to the gun rack if it gets to heavy to hold. A truck window can be smashed open in a second with a pointed tip hammer. Sorry for your loss. The court let the thief who stole $5000 worth of tools use a public defender. He got him off with a $108 fine and no restitution. That is justice! The Police in 2 towns refused to go get my stuff and said I would be arrested for criminal trespass if I went on his property.

Harry

8. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Skeet Man,

Check all of the surveillance tapes from the time the case was put in the back of the truck. This guy knew it was there so he or an accomplice must have done some earlier reconnoitering.

Good Luck

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Harry, I'm sorry for the stuff that was stolen from you. But, the court didn't <I>let</I> the guy use an attorney, they have to give him an attorney. It's part of a fair trial. This is not something you should complain about. Look at the 6th Amendment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.