1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR-15 Site in ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I know this is a trap shooting forum, but a lot of us shoot rifles, also. I bought an AR-15 & tried to site it in. Started shooting at 25yds and walk it in. Got it close to zero & all of a sudden it went high & left. After being high & left it shot a nice little group(high & left). Had someone else shoot it, same results. I had the same thing happen last week, so I changed scopes, same result. It has a terrible 9# trigger pull & scope mounts seem tight. Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Does your rifle have a detachable carry handle? Make sure everything is tight. Scope mount to receiver or handguard, rings, front sight post pins, handguards, and flash hider, if so equipped.

Last, but not least, make sure the barrel nut is tight. After checking everything else for tightness, remove the handguards. This may take a helper if you are not familiar with the AR. Grab the front sight assy and the upper receiver and see if there is ANY movement right to left or vice versa. There should be NONE.

If so, discontinue shooting it immediately until you tighten it WITH PROPER TOOLS or get a knowledgeable 'smith to do it. If you are not familiar with the rifle, do not mess with it. It is a simple desigh, but takes several dedicated tools to work on it. Often, it is cheaper to have it fixed than to buy the tools to use once or twice.

Check it our and let us know what's up with it. This is how old heads learn, too.

3. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Shooting coach covered it pretty well. Tightness of a scope on a grab handle is a problem even some of the adapters do not want to stay fixed no matter how tight they are.

4. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Shooting coach covered it pretty well. Tightness of a scope on a grab handle is a problem even some of the adapters do not want to stay fixed no matter how tight they are.

5. oz

oz Active Member

check out ar15.com someone recommended it to me on this site and I find it has gobs of information. oz

6. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Need more information. What type? Factory built or put together? Bolt headspaced? Clean? Are you using the same ammo? Is it 223 or 5.56? Shooting 5.56 in a 223 chamber will give poor performance, and you're not supposed to do that. Heavy trigger pulls lead to inconsistancy and can cause problems, but probably not here if shooting from a bench at close range with a scope. Type of scope and mounts? I'd give the rifle a once over, test it without the scope using the proper ammo and see if it does the same thing, then remount the scope and try again.

7. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

go to

www.ar15.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.