1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR 15 shooters do you reload your 5.56 or 223

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Now that I own an ar 15 and started looking at the price of ammo I was wondering if it pays to reload. I am not going out to kill numbers of pds . I just wanted to own another rifle to shoot at the range or at pigs in So Ga or coyotes. I sold all my reloading stuff to the guy who purchased my rifles so I would have to spend a few hundred to get all the stuff. I always enjoyed the challenge of seeing how your reloads increased the accuracy of the weapons.Opinions ?

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

I reload everything I shoot, including for the AR's. If you are only interested in saving a few bucks, it's probably not worth it. If you enjoy reloading as part of the shooting sport, then it's another aspect to enjoy. One of the main reasons I reload is knowing there will ALWAYS be a supply of ammo for me. I stock plenty of powder, primers and I do a lot of casting. I know I'll always have ammo regardless of the supply.

Bruce
    kb1iix@arrl.net

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For coyote hunting, at least lately, I've been using commercial ammo. I don't shoot that many rounds, and the long range groups have been excellent with this particular load. I've also been using it for gray diggers, since, in this area, the body count is very low. Obviously I could try reloading with the bullet that's used with these commercial loads. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, as my rifle is relatively new and I haven't had the time to do load development.

I haven't reloaded for a while, but I have reloaded in bulk for varmint shooting. It just makes sense when hunting sage rats, because of the high volume of fire. Often the count exceeds 100, and my best is 205 in a day. That really adds up when factory ammo is used.

If you don't want to reload, a viable alternative are commercial reloads. These are usually sold in boxes of 50 for about the same price that a factory new box of 20 varmint loads are sold for. These are universal loads, and do a pretty good job in mist guns, but premium factory ammo or careful reloads are more accurate. So a two prong approach might work best, and by that I mean set an arbitrary limit of 200 yards for the bulk commercial reloads, and purchase some premium loads for ranges past that. This works particularly well if you have target knobs on your scope.

While ballistic tip bullets are all the rage now, and are an excellent choice, don't overlook older styles like soft points. I've found that these do just as good a job if you're shooting out to 200 yards or so, which is typical for sage rats. It's doesn't take a premium bullet to blow up a sage rat at that range. If you're shooting routinely at longer ranges, then use the premium bullets.

4. GSPBirdDog

GSPBirdDog TS Member

I reload everything i shoot as well....I can't stand seeing someone buy a box of expensive shells and watch the brass either get throwed away or layed in a corner! I reload 223 & 9mm on my dillon 650 press and have a rcbs turret press for all my other calibers i do not shoot alot.Sounds to me like you need to buy a KIT from RCBS woth a good single stage rock chucker supreme.I think you can pick one up from midway for a little over $300.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My Bushmaster shoots the cheap bulk stuff so well...especially Federal, that its not worth it for me...I get 1000rds at a clip....beware of the lacquered Wolf steel case stuff though...that lacquer melts and coats the chamber making the gun sticky and its a real bugger to get out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.