1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR 15 HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TRAINWRECK, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Looking at some AR's but not sure about what to pick. I am looking at three different brands. Which is Colt new price range 900-1200, Rock River 900-1000 and DPMS 600-700. I am looking for one that will be a good shooter and reliable. Would like to target shoot and hunt with the gun. Would like some suggestion (pro-conns) and best model pre brand.

Thanks in advance

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dont overlook the Stag line of AR's especislly the Stag Model 3G. It's in the same price range and an excellent out of the box competition grade gun. It would work great for all you named you would be using it for. I have a Stag Model 2 and couldn't be happier. It is more accurate than I'm capable of.

3. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

never heard of the stag line. Are they made in the US. I am new to the ar world and know very little about them.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Stag is 100% USA made. They have been in the AR buisness since the Vietnam introduction of the rifle. They made many parts for the early Colt Military rifles and if I'm not mistaken they still provide parts in the industry.

http://www.stagarms.com/

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I owned all Rock River stuff and couldnt have expected any better. 1/2 MOA all day long. I had a 24" varmint upper and a 16" coyote carbine. Both shot very well. I just sold all of it to buy a new trap gun..... If I were to buy again it would be a 16" coyote carbine. 2" groups at 400 yards on a bad day. Good luck in whatever you choose. Whatever you decide get good optics. I had a Nikon M-223 600 BDC scope. Best scope on the market for the money. I wont own anything but NIkon.

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

ar15's are like 1911's: there are about 100 manufacturers. i think fn has the current military contract. have you been to ar15.com? it's all they talk about. good luck with it

7. gousgouni

gousgouni TS Member

Rock River Arms is one of the most stable platforms in the AR market. British special forces buy their .308 platform for their snipers. If you want a hunting platform, this is it. Colt would be more lightweight and DPMS will make you want something something better. I have a Les Baer which is top self but friends own Rock Rivers and have nothing to be jealous about.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have a left hand Stag in 6.8 Rem. it is true left hand, with LH bolt and ejection port.

Very happy with it.

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

What's a "yote"? Can you slay one with an AR-15? Serious questions.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Skip Rock River if you're going to eventually put a .22LR upper on the gun. The fire control parts are not compatible.

I have several AR15s. My most accurate is a Remington R15 18" Predator carbine, which I use for coyote hunting. It's actually made for Remington by Bushmaster. Since this is a pure hunting tool, the camo finish is nice.

Keep in mind one of the nice things about an AR15 is that you can purchase other uppers for them, in numerous configurations and calibers. For example, CMMG makes .22LR uppers that are reliable and quite accurate.

You mentioned target shooting. Are you thinking about DCM competition? If so, Bushmaster makes an excellent out of the box DCM rifle. The upper is heavy, so you'd probably want to get a lighter carbine upper for hunting use.

11. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Olympic Arms?

12. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Daniel Defense, LaRue Tactical, Noveske are about as good as it gets. They are hard to get because they are filling large contracts. Some might consider Colt and Rock River just below them. Then you move to DPMS, Stag, etc. Stag began as a company making parts for Colt and the likes. Eventually them began to make completes. Rock River has a 60-90 (more towards 90 or more) wait time. They are out of chrome bolt carriers and several other parts because demand is so high right now. I am expecting a RRA any day now. Visit the ar15.com for the best info.

Dave

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe this'll help. In my opinion, stay away from DPMS and anything that says "Carbon15". Good luck.
    [​IMG]

14. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I also have good thing to say about Stag. I have two of their uppers and both perform well.

Spend your money on a good trigger. It's worth it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/366464_Trigger_Fire_Control_Groups_tested_and_evaluated___the_and_34_BESTand_34__trigger_for_you___.html

15. oz

oz Active Member

yote = coyote

16. oz

oz Active Member

build your own. I did. you need a lower reciever, (gun store). all the other parts you can buy online. check ar15.com for lots of info. I built a doublestar and a stag. You can choose all the parts you want. trigger, barrel type, stocks, sights. have fun. I did.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quote: <i>"Olympic Arms?</i>

With a few exceptions in their product line, I would pass them up.

To be sure, they've improved greatly since their early days. I have a couple of rather dismal examples of their early AR15s I picked up cheap for plinking. The uppers and lowers will not swap with any other uppers and lowers. These were reverse engineered and are out of tolerance. I had to remachine some parts to work properly in them, and these parts are now out of spec and cannot be used in other AR15s. Also be aware that some of their early lowers were cast, not forged, in case you get tempted to buy an early used one.

Oly makes a good barrel, the SUM (Stainless Ultra Match). At one time it was worth getting. I had a varmint upper that used this barrel (gave it to my son). Oly was one of the first to go beyond the standard military barrels, but that was two decades ago. There are a lot of better match barrels out there now.

Oly also makes some pistol caliber conversions that work. Like their 9mm and 45 ACP. Most folks prefer to get the uppers and conversion parts and put them on someone else's lower, though.

And for what you get for 223 rifles, Oly's prices, in my opinion, are simply too high. They should be considered entry level guns, but they sure don't have entry level prices.

If you want an AR15 on a budget, get a Del-Ton. These are competent, reliable guns at a good price. My son and I have purchased several complete lowers from them. Got them on sale cheaper than we could buy the parts and put them together from other companies. They've been totally reliable. Note that the uppers lack chrome lining for the barrels, though this is available as a $45 option. Have your FFL get a logon to Del-Ton. There are often sales available to FFLs that do not show up on their public page. That's how we got the smokin' deal on lowers.

18. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have a Stag Model 6 24" bull bbl. SS. 2 stage match grade trigger. Not even broke in and I am getting smaller than dime size groups at 100 yds. Great customer service from them also.

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Thanks oz, I didn't make that connection.

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you look at the Mil-spec chart, Colt meets all the mil-spec
    requirements. #2 is Smith & Wesson. The chart shown is a partial
    listing of the mil-spec requirements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.