1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR 15 barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a 16" Stag Arms AR 15 model #2 in 5.56mm. Nothing special but a fun shooter. My question is about AR barrels. Mine is listed as having a 16" chrome lined barrel. I see others advertised as Chrome Moly lined, Stainless Steel etc. What is the difference? I imagine the chrome lined barrels are for long lasting. What is the material one would want for an accurate barrel. Of course i'm aware the longer bull barrels would be more accurate. I'm more interested in learning about the barrel metal. Anybody educate me on this?--Matt

To fit here, i shot a clay bird with it. No it wasn't flying.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The barrels that are not lined with anything are said to be more accurate I guess. They can burn out quicker though. The lining is for longer life.

A lot of barrels come chrome lined. I think it was an option on Stag Uppers when I was looking for them.

Nick

3. mince

mince TS Member

Chrome lined for easier cleaning and last longer. Stainless & CM for better precision...sharper rifling. A good CM will outlast Stainless...CM is harder than SS. High-end precision barrels are not usually chrome lined, at least for NRA High Power Service rifle comps.

Darryl Mincemoyer

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Chrome lined barrels are mostly for military use where they may not get cleaned often enough to prevent corrosion. Because it's about impossible to do a perfect chrome job on the inside of a barrel they are usually not as accurate. Plain chrome moly steel is the choice of most target barrel manufacturers, a few like stainless. The guys who like stainless claim less throat erosion and some think the bore will last longer but I don't know if it's been proven. You generaly wear the throat out long before the rifling wears enough to matter.

Many AR15 barrels have chrome lined chambers which is all you really need even for rough use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.