1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Approximate Value of Belgian Browning Superposed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.R.Buchanan, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I looked at a friends 1960's vintage belgian browning superposed. 20 ga. 26" bbls IC and Modified.

The gun is in nearly perfect shape from the muzzle right back to the buttstock. Lever just to the right of center. opens smoothly.

The blueing is 100% over the entire gun, the fore end is perfect minus one small ding.

Then there is the buttstock. LOP 14 1/2" It had been cut for a smaller shooter. Then it was relengthed and a pachmayer pad installed. The relingthing job was done nicely with 4ea 1/4" layers of some black material but it still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Then the comb was lowered by sanding it down, and never refinished. The rest of the stock has numerous dings etc and almost looks like it came off a different gun since the rest of the gun is nearly perfect.It just doesn't match.

My opimion of the gun is that if I had it I'd be looking for a different buttstock or be looking for somone to make one and match it colorwise to the rest of the gun. I Don't think you could save the existing one other than for a short person.

The gun is 99% other than the stock, and would be worth putting some money into to make right.

I don't have a picture or I would put it up and I completely realize values are a subjective thing, but I think someone should be able to give me a range to work with.

What say you?

Randy

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have a member at our club that has been looking for a 20 gauge Superposed for quite a while. They are scarce and are worth significantly more than the 12 gauges. Not sure how easy it would be to find a replacement stock, but it might be worth pursuing. Mark

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Mark---Sorry to tell the news----Is the stock a round knob and long tang or is it a square knob and short tang or is it a sq knob short tang---A picture would help---A replacement stock is almost impossible and a new made stock will be pricey----The gun with a good stock is worth aprox $2,000.00---With the stock you mention really brings down the value---It's what you can get---
    I do have a stock but has the comb sanded and could sell cheap but need a pic to determine kind----Sorry I can't give more info----George

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I agree with southjblue & the 26" barrels do not help it either.

5. marsingbob

marsingbob Active Member

60's guns can vary a lot. Is it long tang, round knob? Is it marked "lightning" on the bottom of the receiver? Any indication at all of salt wood?

A LTRK gun in great condition like this one from the early 60's is probably $2200 to $2500. A little less if it is not a lightning. Probably $500 less if it is not RKLT. The stock is probably a $1000 deduct. There was one that sounds like this one on GunBroker a few days ago with a buy it now price of $1500. I do not know if it sold, but you could check.

I have a very nice 20ga super stock for a LTRK gun that I will sell for $150. It is short and will be about 13 1/2 LOP. That includes a nice 1" old English Pachymr recoil pad. It is off a very early 20 ga, so the grip is finer (smaller) than originally on a 60's gun. I think it would fit, but not certain. It has a very nice satin finish which would not match up well with yours if it is the original varnish finish.

6. white rattler

white rattler Member

There was one on here a few months back a 100% gun, a man from I think New York State I talked with the man and like I said the gun was mint and he could not get $2000. for the gun. Trevor Dawe

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can ask whatever you want- but very few Superposed shotguns are worth much

At one time there was a premium as a shooter over the jap guns until people realized the jap guns were better to shoot

That gun as described- $400

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I sold a rkst 28" 3" salt gun ,not showing salt at all but was on the screws for $2000 to a dealer. Gene send me all the 20ga supers you cand find for $500 so you can make a profit. Jeff

9. g7777777

I knew someone would say that

26 inch barrel gun with no stock

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'll offer $400.00---That bbl and choke set-up makes a great bird gun-George@SJB

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I just noticed it is a 60s vintage which tells me it's probably a RKLT gun---
    If you're interested in selling,send me a pm---George

12. drgondog

drgondog Member

If you can't get pictures, give the serial number off top tang and describe whether long tang or no tang.

Do not listen to the village idiot. The metal and forend without buttstock is easily worth $1500 in the condition you describe unless it is saltwood year (V9 and V8). I recently sold an immaculate 20 ga square know, 28" M/F 1968 (V8) with no traces of saltwood corrosion 99% for $2600. Took me a year and rejected a lot of $2000 range offers.

You may have to shop around but the first order of business is to get a factory like new stock (unaltered with Browning butt plate better than with pad) and fit it. If you have patience you can get one in the $100-150 range.

I sold two on eBay in the last six months for $150. Don't have any more but that is the right range. A more difficult challenge is to match color.

If the serial number is under V8 then there is no salt wood stigma.

With patience, a good match on the wood, the 26 1/2 barrels you should get $2000 to $2300. The 28" in same condition will generally bring $400-600 more as mentioned above.

13. g7777777

Goond0gs advice; take your beaten up gun- buy some non original to the gun parts- coble them together and of course try to sell them to some buyer that doesnt know what you did. Plus as he knows the metal on that gun isnt like new if the stock looks like that

Now forgetting about all of that--- really very few Supperposeds have collectors value- they are a gun of the past and they made a lot of them

Oh the people that own them and have invested a lot of money in them think they have value

Try to find buyers- see what the non collectables go for at auction-

So spend all you want cobling up a gun- at the end you will have a cobled up gun you cant sell

My advice-- try to sell it as it is- and see who else might want to take on a project.

Better yet- offer it to the goondog and tell us all what he is willing to pay you for it

Goondog--It is called put your money where your mouth is.

Yea let us know what the goondog will pay you for it and we will look for it to reappear on some internet site with his "replacement" parts and cold blue touch up on it- should be an interesting comparison to determine what the value really is. He claims he can make a profit on it- lets see how he does it and if he does.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

Lol V.I. (aka Gene) - The Browning Superposed is represented as 99-100% for metal and small ding for forend.

If the gun is still around I might buy it but don't need it.

I gave zero advice regarding how to describe the gun should he find a stock. I assume he will be honest. I am.

Your assumption that either he or I would lie about the description seems more along the lines of what you would do in the same circumstances as you have zero reason to accuse me of misrepresenting anything..

I stick by the value range I posed.

BTW V.I. - what is your answer on "Should law enforcement citizens have a higher Right (i.e. more firepower by law) than a non-LE citizen?".

This would be at least the seventh time you have an opportunity to evade the question and assert your Constitutional knowledge and scholarship of the 14th and 2nd Amendments.

15. g7777777

Goondog actually what you said is "With patience, a good match on the wood, the 26 1/2 barrels you should get $2000 to $2300. The 28" in same condition will generally bring $400-600 more as mentioned above" after advising him to coble it up

Goondog-- The gun you allegedly sold for 2300- did you tell the buyer it was a cobled up gun?

So now you are claiming if you advertise it as a cobled up gun with replacement parts you are going to get 2300 for it. No the implication you gave is you dont tell anyone.

Try getting hardly anything for it as a collector if you advertise it with replacement parts

So yea it did sound like you were giving him advice- dont tell anyone

Plus you are full of it- 2300 = OMG for a non collectable one? with a 26 inch barrel

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Goondog- BTW calling another Bser on you-- find a new or as new supporposed stock for $150- this will be interesting for you to start posting those.

And no matter what stock you find or what condition- it will require a lot of expensive hand fitting. Advertise that also.

Lets add up the first BSer on you goondog-knowing the above- so deduct that $150 dollar stock- now your value is $1850-$2150 range without that

Will you give the man $1500 as is? that would be a steal according to your math

So offer him $1500 if you feel like taking advantage of him as is or maybe $1700 if you just want to turn around resell it with your "replacement" parts for the big profit that you claim you will get for it.

16. drgondog

drgondog Member

Yo V.I. - you continue to suffer from reading deficiency, attention deficit disorder and are pretty pathetic into your feeble attempts to irritate me. I really enjoy dialogue with you but always sense that you 'aren't all there'.

I sold it for $2600 not $2300. For the comprehension impaired that is a $300 difference from your quoted $2300. I see that we have to add deficient math skills as part of your 'no can do list'.

Having said that you are so skilled at Farting and Falling Down that it amuses me to spar with you. At your age and ability to think, however, ya gotta be careful to differentiate Gas from liquid.

I don't know what your Ebay rating is V.I. but mine is 100% and there is a reason for that.. For the topic at hand I sold a round knob short tang Browning superposed in 100% condition for $120 in March and got a very strong positive reference for the sale. Look it up V.I. - under Marshall_william. Ditto Gunbroker although I have a limited activity there.

Here is another that I sold in February - a factory replacement semi inletted 99% long tang round knob french walnut buttstock that I sold for $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-Superposed-20-ga-Long-Tang-Round-Knob-Buttstock-/330875942096#ht_263wt_924

Why don't you post yours?

Ditto on various Perazzi stocks and forearms that I sold for a friend. No returns - all positive reference. I also fitted for zero charge a type IV forearm that needed to be opened up for a single barrel and the buyer was delighted.

I am a retired executive with a long history of running services, consulting and sales. I do understand that you have to match selling with delivering to stay in business (or in town).

You Can slander my reputation with impunity because a.) you are a pathetic fool and b.) I don't care what you think or what you think you are. But pontificating from an obscure hospital room awaiting the next round of Thorazine doesn't make it so.

Back to the point. I know the Browning Superpose market - you don't or you wouldn't be engaging in Tourette's Syndrome behavior. The Prices posted in Gunbroker and Guns America and gun shows accurately reflect the range of value but (and listen closely V.I.) the right buyer isn't always aware of the right fit for him or her.

Now - to the point of buy or sell this Browning. I don't need it. I am not a dealer and wouldn't buy it basically because I don't like barrels under 28". Just me. I just sold mine - which was 100% original, represented as a 'saltwood' year gun and delivered with a money back guarantee - no questions asked.

Now - show us your $400 dollar special and offer it it up for sale.

17. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

18. drgondog

drgondog Member

Yo V.I. - post pics of your $400 special..

Then for 8th time comment on why you believe a law enforcement officer citizen has a 'higher 2nd Amendment Right' than a private citizen..

19. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

OK guys I am getting a feel for the value here. And I fully understand concerns about Salt Wood and the bum stock. I don't think the stock is a $1000 hit, and as many other stocks as I see for sale here I don't think finding a replacement whould be an unsurmountable goal. especially when we are looking at a $200-2300 gun after the replacement.

I wish Flynn still lived here in Santa Barbara, but noooo he had to move to FL!

Are there serial numbers on the stock? if not then if it matches how would anyone know it was a replacement?

I am not stupid, I have been around guns my entire life and have bought and sold probably 200+. Point being I am fully capable of accurately describing the condition of a gun. I have no reason to exagerate or mislead since I am not currently selling the gun, just trying to help a worthy soul clean out his safe.

This gun is 99% except for the buttstock.

It is a Prince of Wales round knob stock. Have to revist tang length. Pretty sure it is earlier than salt wood. I will get the exact serial number and try to get pics.

My first Impression of this gun was $1500.

Replacing the stock would be worth doing if a close match could be found or could be refinished to.

I have several 1960's era Browning guns. All have lighter golden finishes. This gun has a darker honey colored finish on the foreend and the bottom half of the buttstock. IME The earlier guns tended to have darker colored wood.

I appreciate all of the help.

Randy

20. drgondog

drgondog Member

W.R. - Good luck on your project.. it sounds like you have a good handle on the value.. too bad it was acompanied so so much hissing from the corners..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning lightning 53027 v8
browning rkst stock
browning superposed collectors

browning superposed salt wood

browning superposed stock for sale

browning superposed value

lightning superposed 20 ga ltrk
replacing original butt stock or sand down browning over under