1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Approved Airline Case

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TNCoach, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I'm shopping for an airline case for a bunker gun and looking at the Storm/Pelican iM3100, but need to determine the maximum size for checked bags.

Frontier airlines mentioned a 62" linear maximum based upon the L + W + H. The Storm/Pelican case mentioned exceeds that measurement by an inch if my calculations are correct. The Pelican 1700 is barely under the 63" mark.

I might just have to avoid Frontier...

Thank you,
    TNCoach

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that just about all the airlines have the 62" rule. The Pelican 1700 falls just a hair under 62", depending on which retailers info you use.

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

As soon as they handle it, it will be a half inch shorter if it compresses.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Most plastic cases are easily bent without any damage showing when you pick it off the baggage mover. If you get your guns there safely your lucky. You are much more assured of getting the guns there safely by buying their insurance, the airlines are self insured and sometimes they handle them better. No gaurentee even then.

A case made from aluminum and wood or some sort of composite hardboard will show damage on the outside of the case and you can make a legitimate claim on the spot. Best to insure them too.

One other thing. Make sure you book a direct/no plane change flight for yourself. That increases your chances of not losing or damaging you guns. This, of course, lessens the amount of gorilla handling. Good luck.

5. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have flown with an warwick case, i duct tape the latch locks. i have a Americase, great case heavy as hell though. Wheels are a must if you have to carry it far.

I pack xtra rags or socks and shirts to take up additional space in the case for rough handeling. It has worked well. Even the americase I tape the latches closed after locking the case.

Bob S

6. trw

trw Member

A few gun related travel thots:

If you are traveling with a double gun or even a semi-auto broken down, I've found that using a golfclub covers like those used for woods provide extra protection for the action and the bbl's breech end. Have done that air traveling in & out of the country many times w/zero issues.

On a rifle you can use a small section of PVC pipe with a cap on one end to provide extra protection for the muzzle's crown, but put a sock over the bbl's end first &/a small piece of cork inside the PVC cap to prevent it from damaging the finish.

Duct taping over the locks & around the case is always a good idea after the gun(s) are inspected. It serves both as a deterrent and a bit of insurance that rough handling cannot cause the case to open, even if a hinge or lock were broken.

I usually keep a business card & color photocopy of my passport inside the case in a small plastic baggie. In some police state countries, checkpoint inspections are much easier that way when they start going through everything.

I also keep a 35mm plastic film can with a daub of good grease like Mystic JT6 in it. And a plastic pill container with clean cotton swabs in it. Departing some airports/countries they will confiscate any obvious lubricants. The loss of a small bit of good grease is not a big deal, but they often will let it go on. You don't need much to keep the hinge pins or a bolt's lugs lubricated. A bore snake can travel in a baggie inside your checked luggage w/no issues whatsoever; they are light and they work. Same may be said for a set of Chapman gun screwdrivers in the small red case, in your checked luggage, not carry-on. If you are taking a scoped rifle that uses special cap screws for the rings or mount be sure you have the correct bits to fit them, JIC.

Hope something of use here. tw

7. kd185

kd185 Member

ive flown with a pelican 1750 and had no problems with the size of the case or my zero

8. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I want to thank everyone for their posts and appreciate everyone taking the time to offer their insight.

I think my choice has been made more difficult knowing a young man that had his shotgun barrel "pinched" a few thousandths during transport. The gun was in an Americase and evidently someone decided to take it out play with it during the trip. The case was fine...how?

Oh well, God Bless USA

TNCoach

9. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Coach: You hit exactly on my concern. I knew I wanted a metal case, but just as importantly it had to be secure. I see no problem with most cases other than a well placed screwdriver/hammer hit would pop the lock on them instantly. I went with a Rhino case. I'm sure it cost more than some, but it's built tough.

HJH

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have used RHINO cases for years and never had a problem. I purchase a American lock similar to what I used in the Army to lock up M16's and have nev had a problem. Suggest that you visit TSA's website and read the rules regarding firearms. The case must have a good lock and you MUST retain the key... No TSA locks allowed.

Tom

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

You might check the rules for golf club cases. I know a guy who uses a travel case for golf clubs. He said that there is an airline exception to the size rule for golf clubs. He uses a case similar to this:

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/golf/hard.html

I think he goes so far as to actually put a golf club in it when he travels, just to prove it is a golf club case and not a gun case. goofy, but it seems to work. To be clear, he does declare a firearm and he does go through all the TSA checks. He is just taking advantage of the airline exception for golf club cases being oversized without added charges.

Understand the TSA rules as best you can. The one time I traveled, the two airports had different and conflicting understanding of the TSA rules. Print a copy and take them with you. It wasn't all that bad - but the TSA guys don't necessarily know their own rules.

john

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pelican case with key matched high quality padlocks...

13. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Any lockable hard case will meet the needs of the airlines. I have flown alot and not once had the airlines or TSA check the mfg of the case. Also they require that no markings of firearms mfg are on the case ( no p-gun k-gun etc).

14. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

BE VERY CAREFULL ! We make custom all aluminum hardside gun cases for air travel. As a mater of fact, TSA can not explain their own rules the same way day to day, we know. And then add the air lines opinion and then the security agents hired by the air lines and you can begin to see the confusion. Our best advice (from hard earned experience)is to have a pad lock system on your case,and carry two like keyed pad locks and two TSA locks, to be able to meet any interpretation of the tsa rules. If you do not have a direct flight the problems multiply, a tsa lock can be required and often is!!!! So it is best to be prepared. Kirk

15. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Locked case is required and ONLY YOU have keys. That is the TSA rule. Print it out and carry it with you. When in dought call for a supervisor.

16. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I want to thank everyone on TS again and include Jim Eyster (Heritage Gunsmiths and Buckeye International) for his continued support with that said I purchased a iM3100 Pelican Storm Case, a couple of Pelican TSA locks, and a desiccant.

I still have to pickup a couple more locks per ljutic73 and GWII, but getting closer to ensuring a successful trip to the bunker down in AZ.

Thanks again,
    TNCoach

17. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'll add to the comments on TSA. EVERY airport has a completely different procedure. I've seen everything from me opening the case and a cursory glance by TSA to being placed in a secure room and having the gun inspected by TSA in a separate area. (San Jose, CA) I now add at least 30+ minutes to my check-in time if I'm carrying a firearm. I always have to remind myself that it doesn't pay to lose my temper at their lack of conformity or ineptitude. Barney Fife is just doing the best job he can.

Harold Hitchcock

18. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have heard of shipping the gun to yourself, at the location you are going to visit. You do not need an FFL unless I have read some more useless information

Is this possible?

I always seem to get my arse handed to me when I post my brilliant views.

Just a thought from an ordinary averege guy..... waiting for his arse to be delivered.

Cabella's has a sweet case- aluminum padded- that will fit two break down guns for around 180 dollars.

Cabela's "Bullet Proof" Two Takedown Shotgun Case

Kenny Uhlbeck

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"a couple of Pelican TSA locks" You are not allowed to use TSA locks, you must have locks that only you have access to, whether they are combination or key...

20. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

get a nalpak and carry your gun in a soft case inside the hardpac. with this system you pack your clothes around your gun for padding and protection. Cuts down on your travel bags. I have taken this case from mexico to Africa with no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.